Ragnarr999 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice on my current work out regiment PLEASE!

I just joined up here and in many YouTube videos have heard tell of the acceptance and genuine advice from people that are looking to help others out, not just rip them to shreds. That being said, I wanted to get some advice from seasoned lifters and fitness junkies on my routine.

I am a post-bariatric surgery patient and have lost over 200 lbs so far, starting at 540 lbs. I have been exercising in some way (walking, lifting weights, swimming, elliptical machine, etc) for the last 2 years. My gym confidence has increased as I have lost weight and gotten more comfortable there.

At this point, my goals are to continue assisting with fat loss, but build useful strength and muscle endurance. I am not looking to bulk up, I have been bulky for too long, LOL.

Anyway, I have been doing a Full Body Split M/W/F and Elliptical for cardio T/Th/S (Interval speed training for 40 -60 minutes) with Sunday as a full rest day. I also typically walk 7 days a week as I just like going for walks and playing Harry Potter Wizards Unite. LOL

For my 3 days lifting, I am doing 4 sets of 8-10 reps of the following (Abs I do a lot more reps per set)
    Attached Images

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, I would advice you to get on a proper novice routine like Fierce 5. If free weights aren't an optiln and you want to stick to machines - that's alright.

In general, I would put more emphasis on larger compound exercises. I would also include a hip hinge like deaflifts or a variation of them.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I can see what you are doing, but IMHO you are wasting energy on a few relatively “useless” exercises, and skipping some HARD, but very good ones (your leg routine is particularly bad).

I often recommend this program (link below) when I see routines like the one you are doing, because I get that you are trying to be more “athletic” in you training, are focused on shape, aesthetics, mobility, ect. This pretty much outlines everything you need for a well rounded full body workout and includes a good progression scheme.

https://www.tigerfitness.com/blogs/w...orkout-routine
    My 8 year progress video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3BXudgIjg

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ragnarr999 View Post
    At this point, my goals are to continue assisting with fat loss, but build useful strength and muscle endurance. I am not looking to bulk up, I have been bulky for too long, LOL.
    If you're trying to build "useful strength" (that's a bit of a loaded term), get away from viewing your body as a collection of parts. Good full body programs tend to center around movement patterns.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dazitmayn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    theres a lot of useless exercises in there, or exercises not very useful for a novice at all

i would use barbells whenever you can rather than smith machines. Or use dumbbells instead.

Train the heavy hitters of exercises instead of wasting your time doing bullchit isolation movements. chest flies are such a sucky exercise especially for a novice and outside of some sort of warm-up or superset to stretch the pecs. Same with dumbbell front raises and lateral raises. Shoulder pressing easily replaces both of these. As far as back extensions, just do deadlifts. a novice has no business doing dumbbell shrugs in their program really. heavy rowing, deadlifts, pullups, overhead pressing, face pulls will all hit traps to a degree. the day you can deadlift 405 and still have tiny traps then yes maybe include an isolation for that. upright rows suck for the most part too.

hip abductors are meh outside of a rehab protocol and definitely not a strength/muscle builder. the only "legit" lower body exercises you have are back extensions, leg curls and leg press. However those legit lower body exercises don't involve squats or deadlifts which give you the best bang for your buck.

your exercise selection sucks, I would follow a novice program written by someone credible rather than use this

Ragnarr999 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the advice. advice guys. I am looking into both!

TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    too many fluff exercises/10

just run Greyskull lp or F5 full body and add stuff u like doing
    "Get Better Today" - Russel Orhii