JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Am I bulking too fast?

Hey!
    I started lean bulking for the first time (after a 5 month cut and a few month regular maintenance - I injured myself so was out of the gym for two months). I used to count calories obsessively but I had to stop for genuine mental health reasons but I have a rough idea (on the cut i was about 1,400-1,800 calories a day, with the bigger numbers representing the end of the cut. I eat a tad more in terms of carbs now i am bulking. I feel like in the last two weeks though the bulking has gone too fast and the weight is rising pretty big (according to my Renpho...however accurate that is.)

This is my details:
    27 years old, 5'8
    Start of bulk: 08/23/19 - weighed 142.0Ib, 10.8% body fat.
    Now: 10/9/19 - weigh 147.6, and am at 11.4% body fat.

Visceral fat has gone from 4-5 and my subcutaneous fat went from 9.5%-9.9%

Is this all to be expected? I eat super 'clean' (no junk, very little natural sugar, absolutely no added sugar). I try and eat about 140g protein a day, and will have 3/4 cups of oats in the am and some brown rice/sweat potato at lunch, occasionally lentils or beans. (generous but not crazy amounts.) Night cut back on all carbs and fat is to a min throughout most of the day. (Most days 25-40g ball park, occasionally Ill have a little more, and i wont reduce carbs; mainly comes in the form of tahini). I know this is all rough, but any advice on these digitis would be much appreciated.

Also- i only do HIIT cardio once a week for 1hr and resistance train 5 days a week working toward a progressive overload (But certain gym days i just dont have the strength so regress a tad.

I added two photos - one from just before starting the bulk, i am holding a green jumper. (My gallery photos are all pre-bulk esp my profile photo, and then two from today. I can share more). It is not the most flattering but you get the point. I am flexing abs in both and the angling wasnt great .
    Really any advice and tips would be appreciated! I know its hard without tracking macros however if you think this is too much fat gain i will just scale back the eating (esp the carbs)

Thank you!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoshA1; 10-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.

rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rexfrommex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you need to be more comfortable in your body dude I mean sheesh
    Trump 2020

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You've been bulking barely over a month and you're already this worried about it?
    The power of carbs compels me!

3RNutrition is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JoshA1 View Post
    Hey!
    I started lean bulking for the first time (after a 5 month cut and a few month regular maintenance - I injured myself so was out of the gym for two months). I used to count calories obsessively but I had to stop for genuine mental health reasons but I have a rough idea (on the cut i was about 1,400-1,800 calories a day, with the bigger numbers representing the end of the cut. I eat a tad more in terms of carbs now i am bulking. I feel like in the last two weeks though the bulking has gone too fast and the weight is rising pretty big (according to my Renpho...however accurate that is.)

This is my details:
    27 years old, 5'8
    Start of bulk: 08/23/19 - weighed 142.0Ib, 10.8% body fat.
    Now: 10/9/19 - weigh 147.6, and am at 11.4% body fat.

Visceral fat has gone from 4-5 and my subcutaneous fat went from 9.5%-9.9%

Is this all to be expected? I eat super 'clean' (no junk, very little natural sugar, absolutely no added sugar). I try and eat about 140g protein a day, and will have 3/4 cups of oats in the am and some brown rice/sweat potato at lunch, occasionally lentils or beans. (generous but not crazy amounts.) Night cut back on all carbs and fat is to a min throughout most of the day. (Most days 25-40g ball park, occasionally Ill have a little more, and i wont reduce carbs; mainly comes in the form of tahini). I know this is all rough, but any advice on these digitis would be much appreciated.

Also- i only do HIIT cardio once a week for 1hr and resistance train 5 days a week working toward a progressive overload (But certain gym days i just dont have the strength so regress a tad.

I added two photos - one from just before starting the bulk. (My gallery photos are all pre-bulk esp my profile photo, and then two from today. I can share more). It is not the most flattering but you get the point. I am flexing abs in both and the angling wasnt great .
    Really any advice and tips would be appreciated! I know its hard without tracking macros however if you think this is too much fat gain i will just scale back the eating (esp the carbs)

Thank you!
    I agree you need to be a bit more comfortable with yourself.

That being said you have gained over 5.5 pounds in 6 weeks (approx) and if your measurements are accurate only 2 pounds or less of fat. That's not bad, your not going to be 100% lean muscle on a bulk.

One of the things I have found successful for people is to cycle 4-6 weeks of bulking with 2-3 weeks of cutting. This way you can bulk over time without as much fat gain.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by 3RNutrition View Post
    One of the things I have found successful for people is to cycle 4-6 weeks of bulking with 2-3 weeks of cutting. This way you can bulk over time without as much fat gain.
    That is not a good approach at all... people should spend a much longer time in a surplus before cutting...
    The power of carbs compels me!

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

That being said you have gained over 5.5 pounds in 6 weeks (approx) and if your measurements are accurate only 2 pounds or less of fat. That's not bad, your not going to be 100% lean muscle on a bulk.

No that is not optimal. If you spent only 4 weeks bulking the most you are likely to gain in lean mass is 2lbs if lucky to cut again is just spinning your wheels. The only time I would think this would be suitable would be for someone who wanted to stay lean all the time and had solid adequate amount of muscle which they are happy with and not too concern in seeing changes over moderate time-frame.

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    That is not a good approach at all... people should spend a much longer time in a surplus before cutting...
    This here.

evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000)
    no need to eat so clean to bulk. Brown rice is not necessarily better than white rice on a bulk. It is the overall calories you and it won't matter much at all if you eat corn flakes or oats.

1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000)

No. Wrong.
    Strong mind + Strong body = UNSTOPPABLE

JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshA1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    You've been bulking barely over a month and you're already this worried about it?
    Yeah...More from the perspective that if the weight is going up too fast and the body fat is increasing, ill only have longer to cut down the road...which i dont want to do!

Appreciate that feedback. I was thinking about that mini cycle/bulk situation. I wonder if adding a few days of intermittent fasting a week would be of value to allow for more continuous bulking?

Originally Posted by evankyle View Post
    no need to eat so clean to bulk. Brown rice is not necessarily better than white rice on a bulk. It is the overall calories you and it won't matter much at all if you eat corn flakes or oats.
    Thats good to know. I just figured id jeep the insulin as constantly low as possible as the higher the body fat the lower the sensitivity the greater the subsequent bodyfat. Granted, I am not actually aware of the numbers here