Thread: Rack pulls

sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sweetmcghee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Rack pulls

Is more force provided to the body isometrically rather than full rom? If so, how effective for strength would a thigh high rack pull be opposed to squats and deadlifts?

Registered User Remingtongauge2's Avatar
    Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    rack pulls will help overload the top of your deadlift, I would do both.

Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The deadlift has a much longer range of motion than a rack pull. It's going to add much more overall strength. It's also mush more difficult. That being said, some people get great results from rack pulls. It's primarily a back exercise. Personally, I don't do them. There's just no place for then in my routine.
    Gym PR's: 500/325/585

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    to answer your first question, no, rack pulls are a partial movement, there's still a concentric and an eccentric component. you would just be presumably lifting more weight.

depends what you mean by strength. if you mean getting stronger at rack pulls at thigh level then yes.

if you are looking for carryover to your deadlift, paused deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, SLDLs, RDLs, 2" block pulls, opposite stance of sumo/conventional, trap bar deadlifts are all infinitely better options than thigh high rack pulls which have very little carryover to a deadlift. they also train your muscles through a longer range of motion which is certainly better for hypertrophy. focus on building muscle and getting stronger through a longer range of motion first, once you've done this for a year or two seriously identify any weak points and use partials to address it.

never been a fan of very high rack pulls because you need to load it very heavy to get a benefit from it (otherwise you have no business doing them), you'll probably completely bend and ruin any low tier commercial grade barbell with anything over 6 plates and banging it against the safeties, loading all those plates is a pain in the ass, very little reward from it, if you wanted to train your upper back/traps there are way better ways to do this than load 800 lbs on a bar and train with a 2 inch range of motion. just my two cents

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It would depend on what type of strength your training for.
    If it's to improve your squat or DL not so much.
    dazitmayn's post above is a good suggestion above ^^^.
    Rack pulls could be good for strongman training or if you just want to get strong on rack pulls themselves.
    Some benefit to the grip,lumbars and traps but not best overall lift to help your DL or squat.
    Good luck.

GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100)
    I used to do them and they will absolutely destroy your traps better than any row or shrug.

They did cause some shoulder pain for me though, Athlean-x did a video talking about why they're a bad idea. You know he gets into the physiology of it all with his model skeleton.

A coach at my gym suggests doing rack pulls around knee height or just below to help with lockout on deadlifts, I don't think there's any reason to rack pull above the knee though unless you want to show off having 5 or 6 plates on the bar.
    Squat - 190kg

Bench - 107.5kg

Deadlift - 195kg

cassius65 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    rack pulls from just under my knee really pull hard on my lats, great exercise, your pulling with no leg drive, it's all lats and upper body

DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sweetmcghee View Post
    Is more force provided to the body isometrically rather than full rom? If so, how effective for strength would a thigh high rack pull be opposed to squats and deadlifts?

TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheInnerOh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pulling from the thigh is so lame. Pull from the knee at least. Just below it is best. I do them now, I switched when i hurt my hamstring trying to max my deadlifts.