wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice re: cutting and fatigue.

Hey guys.

So, after a very long hiatus from the gym I finally got back into it two months ago. It took a bit of time to tweak everything but I'm glad to say I'm losing approx. 1kg a week on a calorie restricted diet (1500 calories/day), approx. 1 hour of steady state cardio 4-5 x a week and a minimalist full body routine 3 x a week. My starting weight was 110.3kg (I am 6'4") and after two months I am down to 103.9kg. My goal weight is between 95-98kg, depending on how lean I look. I decided before I started working out again that I would prioritize weight loss over muscle gain, due to the fact I was de-trained after such a long period and may as well cut the fat first, then put the majority of my efforts into a muscle building phase.

Anyhoo, whilst satisfied with the results so far, I've started having a few underwhelming workouts along with some serious fatigue during the day. Today I was taken aback by the drop off in my strength across the workout. For the past two months strength has been improving in spite of the cut, possibly due to the fact I was de-trained.

One obvious option is increase my calories, I know. But, that would only draw out the cut longer. I'm keen to get it over and done with ASAP. Given how I've prioritized things, I'm considering cutting the weight training down to nothing for a month and giving all my energy to cardio until I hit my target weight, then I'll switch back to maintenance and start a more aggressive weight training routine with some cardio for conditioning and health. Another option could be reducing the weight to a moderately easy resistance and avoid any training to failure.

Thoughts? Remember I'm not cutting after a bulk so I don't feel I've earned much in the way of muscle to hold on to. I do seem to naturally carry a reasonable amount of lean mass anyway (I've never been a bean pole and am quite broad for my height). If I ease right off the weights it would only be for a month at the max given the rate I'm progressing...

Thanks in advance.

weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Your starting a cut on 1500 calories at 6'4 110kg with cardio 4x a week? That's not sustainable bro.. What you gonna do when weight loss stalls and you need to drop calories? I'm no expert but if your feeling fatigued and losing strength that usually means muscle loss is happening..
    Last edited by weaver1997; 10-09-2019 at 02:10 AM.

wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedsushi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by weaver1997 View Post
    Your starting a cut on 1500 calories at 6'4 110kg with cardio 4x a week? That's not sustainable bro.. What you gonna do when weight loss stalls and you need to drop calories? I'm no expert but if your feeling fatigued and losing strength that usually means muscle loss is happening..
    The strength aspect is intermittent. Today was especially bad but generally I make small improvements in either weight or reps - nothing major.

re: 1500 calories. It took about a month to get to that figure. Initially I wasn't tracking and had 3 weeks with no movement on the scales. Then I started tracking and starting getting some movement, but it was slow going. Once I whittled it down to 1500 (about 4 weeks ago), the weight has been shifting downwards consistently. It's been manageable, with some lite muesli & protein shake for breakfast, meal replacement shake for lunch and finally dinner, usually consisting on chicken breast, greens and some complex carbs.

If I lose a bit of muscle while still primarily losing fat, I'll take that on the chin. This is primarily about energy levels during the day - especially early afternoon an hour or so after I've finished my workout. I have 3 variables I can alter: diet/calorie intake, resistance training and cardio. Given I want to get the weight off ASAP so I can move into a much longer muscle building phase I need to alter one of those variables. I know restrictive calories and cardio are the primary drivers of my weight loss, so I'm reluctant to change them when I'm not that far off of my goal weight.

A month off of weights might be too much - that was more based on it taking ~1 month to hit my target weight. I considered a break from the weights a couple of weeks back but kept pushing thru. Perhaps this week and the next will help recover energy levels and shave another couple of kg off, then I can hit the weights again refreshed and be on the home stretch to 98kg.

weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weaver1997 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by wickedsushi View Post
    The strength aspect is intermittent. Today was especially bad but generally I make small improvements in either weight or reps - nothing major.

re: 1500 calories. It took about a month to get to that figure. Initially I wasn't tracking and had 3 weeks with no movement on the scales. Then I started tracking and starting getting some movement, but it was slow going. Once I whittled it down to 1500 (about 4 weeks ago), the weight has been shifting downwards consistently. It's been manageable, with some lite muesli & protein shake for breakfast, meal replacement shake for lunch and finally dinner, usually consisting on chicken breast, greens and some complex carbs.

If I lose a bit of muscle while still primarily losing fat, I'll take that on the chin. This is primarily about energy levels during the day - especially early afternoon an hour or so after I've finished my workout. I have 3 variables I can alter: diet/calorie intake, resistance training and cardio. Given I want to get the weight off ASAP so I can move into a much longer muscle building phase I need to alter one of those variables. I know restrictive calories and cardio are the primary drivers of my weight loss, so I'm reluctant to change them when I'm not that far off of my goal weight.

A month off of weights might be too much - that was more based on it taking ~1 month to hit my target weight. I considered a break from the weights a couple of weeks back but kept pushing thru. Perhaps this week and the next will help recover energy levels and shave another couple of kg off, then I can hit the weights again refreshed and be on the home stretch to 98kg.
    You'll be shaving a couple kg of muscle of with a diet like that coupled with no weight training, imo weight training is more important than cardio for fat loss..
    I've been cutting 3month lost 35lbs got to 170 and only now I'm eating 1600 cals, and I'm 5'9 170
    Last edited by weaver1997; 10-09-2019 at 04:56 AM.

RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000) RayBcomplex is just really nice. (+1000)
    My vote is to go up to 1800 cals/day and make sure you're getting protein and fat minimums.
    At 1500 I seriously doubt you're getting the basic nutrition your body needs. At 1800 you can achieve the prot/fat minimums plus have room left over for a bit of carbs.

I would also suggest to prioritize weight lifting over cardio - especially steady state stuff. If you're going to do cardio, do HIIT.
    Larger muscles increase your BMR and help keep your metabolism high - which helps burn calories passively. Cutting too fast and losing muscle is a short term win that hurts you longer term. Focus on progressive overload on large compound lifts.

Yeah it's gonna take a little bit longer like this - but you'll feel better while you're doing the cut and come out ahead in terms of composition.
    Last edited by RayBcomplex; 10-09-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: edit