alexanderjzz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout program for a late begginer

Hi. I got a strength plateau on my current novice program (Alpha Destiny Novice Program). I'm 21 years old, 6'2 and 176lbs, and my lifts are the following:
    Squat: 265x5. Paused Bench: 170x5. Paused OHP: 115x5. Pendlay Row: 185x5, Low Handle Trap Bar DL: 355x5.
    I know, those are not big numbers, but I can't progress anymore even if I deload. I want to know if I'm an intermediate lifter and if I can no longer progress on a linear progression program.
    I was wondering if a Full Body Heavy/Light/Medium program will be suitable for me. I don't wanna try Upper/Lower yet, because I think that training each muscle 3 times a week instead of 2 times it's better for me!
    What do you guys think?

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Beginner" vs "intermediate" is subjective, but at your weight and lifts I would not consider you intermediate.

You can definitely try a full body heavy/light/medium program and see where it takes you. So much of lifting is trial and error; it's worth trying routines for an absolute minimum of 4 weeks (preferably 8 weeks) to see how you respond and if it works for you. Eventually after you try several different ones you'll be able to see what your body likes best and start to put together your own routines.

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You need to eat more.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The person who can tell us if you can progress on a novice linear program is YOU.

If you just can't progress effectively any more on fast linear progression despite deloads/resets, then you are an "intermediate" (based on the Starting Strength usage of the word, which for them is about training response not actual weight)

Try HLM but log your progress, that way you can look back at the log and make an accurate decision on if it was the right thing

Originally Posted by FaIIen View Post
    You need to eat more.
    And wash it down with a glass of milk
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Fell off the bandwagon on the diet :( need to get back on, mañana

WakingOp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is there anything one can take to help them eat more? Weed is good, but illegal. The doc gave me this stuff called megace when I was skinny. That had me eating everything in sight. Went from 130 to 180 in about 6 months, but I'm pretty sure it's not great for creating proper hormonal balance for building muscle.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would try the Bridge by barbell medicine
    Kinda a transition program from standard linear stuff to more periodized autoregulated programming
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WakingOp View Post
    Is there anything one can take to help them eat more?...
    This is probably a huge digression from the original post question.
    I've had a friend who battled (and beat) anorexia recently. That's about as extreme lack of appetite as you can get. What was used (under medical supervision) to increase her appetite was food.

When you are too thin your appetite starts to reduce too low, when you are too fat your appetite starts to increase too high (that's so unhelpful, so much for body autoregulation!).

The thing to do to increase appetite is to eat more. Consistently on a planned schedule, like a weight loss diet but in reverse. Just like a dieter has to have self control to not eat when hungry, in this you'll have to have self control to eat what was planned when you're not hungry.

After a couple of months your appetite will have increased.

If you just want extra calories don't ignore 3% (full fat) milk. That has a ton of calories in it, taken in addition to existing diet you can put on lots of weight with it.
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 10-09-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Fell off the bandwagon on the diet :( need to get back on, mañana

WakingOp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's a digression. But not a huge one, I think. Eating more is always somewhat relevant.

Anorexia is more complicated than lack of appetite, but I get the idea. I may be anorexic. I start to gain weight and think I'm fat. Even though I can still see abs... I was 4 percent body fat for many years though, so that may have skewed my perception.

It's so hard to eat enough. I've been tracking calories, a lot of times I'll add everything up at the end of the day thinking I got plenty, feeling stuffed all day and realize I'm like 800 short. Time for some munchies... Or I'll track it more in real time and I'm forcing myself to eat. I feel sick, still shoveling food in all day to get to 3000. Basically the only way is for me to constantly be snacking.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to start drinking lots of milk. I don't think I could quite handle rippetoes gallon/day but even a half gallon is like 900 calories and 64g protein. That would make life easier. Actually that's the stupid 2 percent my wife buys. Idk about whole milk. It's been a long time