Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User hencoug12's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    hencoug12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hencoug12 is offline

    Talking Help / Insights? OMAD, Ketosis, Autophagy, BCAA...

    Male, 28, 5’11”, 185 lbs

    My main goals are to lose body fat, maintain ketosis (I use test strips to be sure), and activate autophagy. After I lose some body fat, I plan to train mostly with weights, in which case I’ll probably want to restructure my fasting/eating schedule. I am currently in my third week of my regimen (today is Oct. 7, 2019) and I’ve never felt more energized and sharp.

    However, I’ve had some pressing questions about the effectiveness of my current workout/fasting/eating schedule, here is the breakdown of a typical day for me before I get into the questions:

    6:00am - half tbsp of pink Himalayan salt, one scoop of Vintage Blast Two-Stage Pre-Workout, which I have read does not break my fast. (?)

    6:30-7:30am - workout with HIIT cardio (Insanity program), drinking only water

    8:00am-5:00pm - get to work, take 360g Magnesium, 730g Potassium Chloride, 1g NAC, only drink water and green tea throughout the workday (sometimes starting my workday with a cup of black coffee), then walk home.

    5:30pm - get home and cook my OMAD (fulfilling my macros) which I usually finish in less than two hours, breaking my fast with two scoops of EVLUTION BCAAs (?). I always try to finish eating before 8pm or 9pm and I never eat before 4:00pm. Basically, I’ll take almost 2 hours to eat my OMAD sometime between 4pm and 9pm. I’ll usually take another half tbsp of pink salt during my meal.
    Usually try to get to bed by 11pm, then repeat.

    My most pressing questions:
    1. Is eating my OMAD at varying times but still in the 4-9pm window significantly affecting anything?

    2. Any insight on eating OMAD before bed and then working out in the morning in a fasted state? Is my body storing macro/micro nutrients during my sleep that can affect anything? I’ve read so much conflicting information on the OMAD at night with workout in morning.

    3. Is the scoop of Vintage Blast Two-Stage Pre-Workout actually not affecting my fast?

    4. Is taking my BCAAs at the start of my feeding period (about 5 or 6pm) beneficial to my morning workout and preventing muscle breakdown? Are these BCAAs necessary if I’m hitting my macros? I’ve read that BCAA before/during workout is best but I don’t want them to conflict with my state of fasting and autophagy since I’d be drinking them in the morning before/during workout.

    My ideal schedule would be to break my fast in the morning with BCAAs, work out, and then eating my OMAD before starting over my fasting period. Unfortunately, this isn’t ideal for me right now so the schedule I listed above is what I’m working with. Once I start training with weights, I’ll probably be lifting later in the day with pre workout and sipping BCAA, eating my OMAD afterwards, then fasting.

    Feel free to ask questions, any help and/or insights with anything are greatly appreciated, thanks!!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Heisman2's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 11,762
    Rep Power: 52622
    Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heisman2 is offline
    1. No.

    2. OMAD is pointless for anything useful. It's almost certainly better to spread protein intake throughout the day to some degree as that does a better job of stimulating muscle protein synthesis. By being in a fasted state most of the day you are running a greater risk of muscle loss, especially as you are not doing resistance training. That makes you much more likely to regain the weight you lose in the long run.

    3. Anything that has calories technically breaks a fast. I'm doubtful this has any actual physiologic effect.

    4. BCAAs are worthless if you get sufficient protein in your diet otherwise. In fact, as the valine and isoleucine compete with leucine regarding intestinal absorption, and leucine is the key amino acid to stimulate muscle protein synthesis, BCAAs can have a detrimental effect.

    Why do you care about autophagy?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User hardyboysare's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2018
    Age: 49
    Posts: 2,661
    Rep Power: 19291
    hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    hardyboysare is offline
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    1. No.

    2. OMAD is pointless for anything useful. It's almost certainly better to spread protein intake throughout the day to some degree as that does a better job of stimulating muscle protein synthesis. By being in a fasted state most of the day you are running a greater risk of muscle loss, especially as you are not doing resistance training. That makes you much more likely to regain the weight you lose in the long run.

    3. Anything that has calories technically breaks a fast. I'm doubtful this has any actual physiologic effect.

    4. BCAAs are worthless if you get sufficient protein in your diet otherwise. In fact, as the valine and isoleucine compete with leucine regarding intestinal absorption, and leucine is the key amino acid to stimulate muscle protein synthesis, BCAAs can have a detrimental effect.

    Why do you care about autophagy?


    No point adding anything.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User clwhoops44's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2016
    Age: 49
    Posts: 238
    Rep Power: 994
    clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    clwhoops44 is offline
    Shew boy. This might be one of the more overthought diet plans I've seen on these forums yet.

    Seriously consider throwing all of that out the window and doing this: eat less, move more, start lifting weights now.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Resident Zombie skyjumper's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Age: 55
    Posts: 800
    Rep Power: 282
    skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50) skyjumper will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    skyjumper is offline
    Originally Posted by clwhoops44 View Post
    Shew boy. This might be one of the more overthought diet plans I've seen on these forums yet.

    Seriously consider throwing all of that out the window and doing this: eat less, move more, start lifting weights now.
    This. I overthink everything, but I doubt I have ever over-thought anything that much. You are the reigning champ of overthinking. Find a TDEE calculator, pick a reasonable goal, decide how many to eat to meet it and get some exercise.
    I may be a loser, but I'm not a quitter!
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Location: Stanwood, Washington, United States
    Posts: 3,190
    Rep Power: 24311
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    xsquid99 is offline
    What the heck does pink salt have to do with anything? Jeez, talk about trying to make a simple thing complicated.

    Lift weights now, dont wait, you're just costing yourself muscle.

    Eat in a weekly caloric deficit.

    Proft...

    Also, BCAA's are a waste of money and do nothing.
    Fitness/Weightlifting/Bodybuilding YouTuber's that you should be watching if you aren't:

    Eric Helms/Team3DMJ: https://www.youtube.com/user/Team3DMJ
    Jeff Nippard: https://www.youtube.com/user/icecream4PRs
    Alan Thrall: https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7
    Omar Isuf: https://www.youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User hencoug12's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    hencoug12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hencoug12 is offline
    2. By “throughout the day” are you talking about ditching intermittent fasting altogether or just eating within a window?

    4. Interesting, I’ll look into that.

    Well I like the natural “body cleansing” effect of autophagy, it’s like healing yourself from the inside. Since I’ve been in Ketosis and fasting ~20-22 hours a day, I’ve felt amazing. I appreciate the tips and advice, thank you 🤙
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User hencoug12's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    hencoug12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hencoug12 is offline
    It seems overthought but it’s really not, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible to give a full picture. It’s a basic routine which is easy to follow. The supplements are probably what makes it look complicated, but they are just to support my all-keto diet. Throwing what exactly out the window...? Just trying to understand from your perspective, cus my “plan” is very basic lol
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User hencoug12's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    hencoug12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hencoug12 is offline
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    What the heck does pink salt have to do with anything? Jeez, talk about trying to make a simple thing complicated.

    Lift weights now, dont wait, you're just costing yourself muscle.

    Eat in a weekly caloric deficit.

    Proft...

    Also, BCAA's are a waste of money and do nothing.
    Pink salt = sodium. Didn’t mean to confuse you with such a complicated term haha, just wanted to be transparent.

    I do eat in a calorie deficit and you’re right about the weights, I’ll be back on them very soon.

    Thanks for the advice and tips everyone 💪
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 47,530
    Rep Power: 1248054
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Originally Posted by hencoug12 View Post
    It seems overthought but it’s really not, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible to give a full picture. It’s a basic routine which is easy to follow. The supplements are probably what makes it look complicated, but they are just to support my all-keto diet. Throwing what exactly out the window...? Just trying to understand from your perspective, cus my “plan” is very basic lol
    What you find in the real world is that the people who have results are the ones who work the hardest. They are usually not following some trendy diet or training method, they just grind grind grind.

    People who try to "optimise" everything often complain of lack of results - because they don't appreciate this simple fact. There is nothing subtle about bodybuilding and there are no "hacks". Work ethic will win every time.

    I can totally sympathise with the desire to make the process smarter and more efficient - I've read everything and investigated everything including IF, keto, supplements etc but experience suggests that it was mostly a waste of time and I'd have done no better if I just trained hard, aimed for progression and ate a common sense wholefood diet.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User hencoug12's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    hencoug12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hencoug12 is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What you find in the real world is that the people who have results are the ones who work the hardest. They are usually not following some trendy diet or training method, they just grind grind grind.

    People who try to "optimise" everything often complain of lack of results - because they don't appreciate this simple fact. There is nothing subtle about bodybuilding and there are no "hacks". Work ethic will win every time.

    I can totally sympathise with the desire to make the process smarter and more efficient - I've read everything and investigated everything including IF, keto, supplements etc but experience suggests that it was mostly a waste of time and I'd have done no better if I just trained hard, aimed for progression and ate a common sense wholefood diet.
    I appreciate your response, that’s exactly the type of mindset needed for results, it’s all about work ethic and “paying the iron price” 😁 I guess my post may seem like I’m following some trendy diet/plan but I’m really not, it’s more about discovering what works best for me and what things are necessary/unnecessary. I’m just working hard and staying consistent and I’ve never felt better. Thank you for you input, this helped 💪
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts