Josh7654 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help needed with bulking

Hi,

I’m new to this forum but have watched from afar for a couple of years.

I need some help with how best to bulk whilst not gaining too much fat.

I am 6 foot 3 inches and weigh approx 77kg (170lbs). I have lost about 25 kg over the last couple of years and now am looking to bulk up. I have a naturally skinny / Ectomorph frame so don’t hold fat well. I still have a small amount of fat in the usual areas but am I right in thinking that if I add lean muscle mass this fat will appear much less due to a shift downwards in body fat as a percentage of overall body weight?

I want to add mass but really don’t want to add much fat. My BMR is 1830 but I am very active. I walk a lot, I cycle to and from work every day (burning approx 3/400 calories a day cycling), I also weight train 5/6 days a week and go heavy (for me). All this considered various calculators state that I should be consuming about 3800 calories to gain muscle. Does this sound right? I have a Fitbit and on average I burn 3600-3700 calories a day - I’m not sure how accurate fitness trackers are but does this sound about right?

Finally, I have been using weights for about 2 years but only to assist losing weight. So I am used to lifting and have relatively good form. What is the best approach going forward in relation to weight training? Keep going heavy with compound lifts aiming for 8-10 reps per set?

Thanks in advance for any help

Bandiot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Personal Opinion, since you weight 170lb and do a ton of cycling its hard to know your maintenance calories. Perhaps try 3k calories consistently and see what happens with your weight. 1lb gain/loss is due to 500 calories surplus/above maintenance. So whichever one it is, do some trial and error.

Secondly, train 4 days a week so you body can recover. I personally like to do upper/lower body split.

Monday - Legs
    Tuesday- upper
    wednesday - rest
    Thur - Legs
    Fri - Upper
    Weekends Rest

Found this worked best for me, I use to do all this body part split but only hit the muscle once a week. I only do traditionally bodybuilding for legs, upper body I am doing 100% calisthenics now. Good luck!

Josh7654 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bandiot View Post
    Personal Opinion, since you weight 170lb and do a ton of cycling its hard to know your maintenance calories. Perhaps try 3k calories consistently and see what happens with your weight. 1lb gain/loss is due to 500 calories surplus/above maintenance. So whichever one it is, do some trial and error.

Secondly, train 4 days a week so you body can recover. I personally like to do upper/lower body split.

Monday - Legs
    Tuesday- upper
    wednesday - rest
    Thur - Legs
    Fri - Upper
    Weekends Rest

Found this worked best for me, I use to do all this body part split but only hit the muscle once a week. I only do traditionally bodybuilding for legs, upper body I am doing 100% calisthenics now. Good luck!
    Thanks for your input. I’ve actually noticed that since eating in a calorie surplus and going that extra bit harder in the gym I feel exhausted after 4 days in the gym in a row - time to tone it down a touch in terms of frequency!

Going to aim for around 3000-3200 calories a day on training days and see where I am in a few weeks

Do you know of any accurate methods to reliably work out my daily calorie expenditure? The formulas I have found online produce results that seem quite high to me