yosh01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please critique this routine for 68 year old man

I've been doing this routine 2-3 times each week for some time now and wonder if it can be improved. At my age I'm not trying to build muscle or improve my physique much, but I want to stay fit as I age. I do all of the exercises on Freemotion cable machines when possible. I also do only one set of about 10-15 repetitions until I cannot do another. Am I unnecessarily duplicating some exercises? Or am I missing something important? Here's my routine:

- Back and side extensions on a Roman chair
    - Shoulder shrugs
    - Cable row
    - Lat pull
    - Overhead press
    - Chest press
    - Cable butterfly
    - Bicep curl
    - Let press
    - Hip adduction and abduction
    - Situps

With only one set of each this is a fairly fast routine, taking about 30 minutes. I swim laps on other days.

Thank you.

melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by yosh01 View Post
    I've been doing this routine 2-3 times each week for some time now and wonder if it can be improved. At my age I'm not trying to build muscle or improve my physique much, but I want to stay fit as I age. I do all of the exercises on Freemotion cable machines when possible. I also do only one set of about 10-15 repetitions until I cannot do another. Am I unnecessarily duplicating some exercises? Or am I missing something important? Here's my routine:

- Shoulder shrugs
    - Cable row
    - Lat pull
    - Overhead press
    - Chest press
    - Cable butterfly
    - Bicep curl
    - Let press
    - Situps

With only one set of each this is a fairly fast routine, taking about 30 minutes. I swim laps on other days.

Thank you.
    I personally would say there is way too much going on in one routine. The most important is getting the balance right, almost more than the volume itself to be honest especially if you are only looking to get fit, the last thing you want is a potential injury due to an unbalanced routine most commonly the shoulder.

I would highly recommend the full body Fierce 5 routine which is a sticky on this forum, it's a very well balanced programme and will be much more effective than your current workout and can do it two or three times a week, you can substitute certain excersises as well for example squats for leg press if you needed as I see you haven't included some of the compound movements but subbed them for machines which is fine for your purpose of keeping fit, I have included the routine below with a stronger appraoch to machines and current rep range but it is balanced! The volume is more or less the same but please see the original routine in the sticky threads for more info on it. The exercises you have included like the cable butterfly or shoulder shrugs are kinda pointless really unless you are wanting to develop a physique.
    Workout A

Leg Press 3x10
    Chest Press 3x8
    Seated rows 3x10
    Face Pulls 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B

Leg Press 3x10
    Shoulder Press 3x8
    Leg Curls 3x10
    Lat Pulldowns 3x10 (any grip)
    Ab work 2x15/Bicep curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)
    Last edited by melpa64; 10-06-2019 at 12:20 PM.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Its fine, at 68 years old you dont need to be doing Fierce 5 lmao. You are just doing a single circuit and that is okay. That coupled with swimming should be good.

If you see yourself losing strength, you may wan to do another set or two of the bigger exercises.

Preserving strength and mobility while performing cardio looks like your goal, and that routine is perfect for it.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    At my age I'm not trying to build muscle or improve my physique much, but I want to stay fit as I age.
    Consider loaded carries. They would work mobility and grip strength.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Consider loaded carries. They would work mobility and grip strength.
    Yeah but once you start going over age 65 I would check with a doctor first. YOu start having minor disk degeneration and what not.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, it doesn't take much to get a lot of benefits. Take a couple of 20lb dumbbells for a long stroll.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

- Shoulder shrugs
    - Cable row
    - Lat pull
    - Overhead press
    - Chest press
    - Cable butterfly
    - Bicep curl
    - Let press
    - Situps

Thank you.
    This is my third response! I didn't submit the other two. I don't like your workout. There's too much fluff. You need a push, a pull, a hinge, a squat and a loaded carry and you need to end every workout with some form of spinal decompression. The correct lockout for the OHP is an overhead shrug, so you can ditch the shrugs as a separate exercise. Pair your rows with chest presses and the OHP with the lat pulls. Learn how to swing a kettlebell and learn how to deadlift.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    This is my third response! I didn't submit the other two. I don't like your workout. There's too much fluff. You need a push, a pull, a hinge, a squat and a loaded carry and you need to end every workout with some form of spinal decompression. The correct lockout for the OHP is an overhead shrug, so you can ditch the shrugs as a separate exercise. Pair your rows with chest presses and the OHP with the lat pulls. Learn how to swing a kettlebell and learn how to deadlift.
    I think you need to look at OP's goals and age and how he pairs gym day with a pool workout the next day.

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    I think you need to look at OP's goals and age and how he pairs gym day with a pool workout the next day.
    His goal is to stay fit as he ages and he wanted to know if he was missing something important. I think he was. I'm older than he is and I have his goal in spades.
    I also do a lot of other types of exercises on my non weightlifting days.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

yosh01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Thanks Supramax. Can you be more specific? What exactly do you mean by a "push", a "pull", a "hinge" and especially "decompression"? I'm too much of a novice to put those into action.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

These guys have a lot of good stuff on older lifters starting training.

The Tl;dr is that there's little reason to presume you need to train differently to any other novice

Would then check this out - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000440227210
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Thanks Supramax. Can you be more specific? What exactly do you mean by a "push", a "pull", a "hinge" and especially "decompression"? I'm too much of a novice to put those into action.
    Your lat pulls and rows are pulls and your chest presses and overhead presses are pushes. Hinges are Romanian deadlifts, hard style explosive kettlebell swings, deadlifts, etc., etc.
    Do yourself a big favour and master the hip hinge: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hip...hip-hinge.html

Spinal decompression exercises are deadhangs and unassisted chin/pull ups, hanging leg/knee raises, hyper-extensions and dips. If a routine has an exercise that compresses the spine, like squats, deadlifts or overhead presses, it's a good idea, especially as you get older, to spend a few minutes at the end of a workout, decompressing your spine.