estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Struggling - I need help!

Hi guys,

Some of you that read my other posts know that I’ve lost some significant weight over the course of the last 8 months. Around 30 kilograms have already gone.
    I did Keto, IF, OMAD (with and without carbs) throughout this time. I believe I lost the most weight the quickest with OMAD + Carbs.
    At this time, i remember being really hungry some hours of the day, but also really looking forward to something i REALLY want to eat.
    Let it even be a Pizza. But i was happy. Of course i ended up around 1.500kcal on most days with this kind of diet and therefore had a massive calorie deficit for a 1,92m 140kg+ guy.

I started hitting the gym... HARD ... end of August. I go around 4-6 times per week on a push/pull plan and it is just so much fun. I feel like a beast, lifting heavy weights.

Also since end of August, I’m on OMAD Keto again and now I’m really struggling.
    I‘m not looking forward to my meals anymore. Everything is just beef and eggs and bacon and chicken and.... you get the idea.
    Craving a real good pizza so much, or some pasta with salmon...
    Want to look forward to my meals again.

My hunger has completely vanished. I have the occasional 20 minute hunger growl but that‘s it. I remember when doing OMAD + Carbs i was crazy hungry sometimes, and then had a rush of dopamine when i could eat my meal.

So, now some thoughts go through my head and i need your help and advise to figure it out.
    I‘m still 135kg. The lightest I’ve been in 13 years and i have achieved that mostly with Keto and intermittent fasting, without any training. So that‘s PRO KETO.

Lifting weights is so much fun, and i want to perform better in that area. I want to build muscle, but still i have to lose weight. So, Training is a MUST and just dieting to lose weight quickly is not an option.

I‘m really looking forward to carbs. Pasta + Salmon, some good German bread... stuff like that. And i believe carbs are beneficial for my training. PRO CARBS.

All of that text just so you guys can understand where I’m coming from... and i have a simple question:

What should i eat to lose weight at an acceptable rate and be able to build muscle at the same time in my specific scenario (LOT of weight still to lose).

My Metabolic stats:
    RMR = 2088kcal
    NEAT = 180kcal (office job... i rarely move.)
    TEA = 0kcal (i don‘t count the trainings)
    TEF = 230 kcal (pretending 180g carbs, 180g protein, 60g fat)

TOTAL = 2493kcal TDEE.

Thank you guys
    Stefan

faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you just made metabolism look like rocket science, lol. just get an estimation of your TDEE, eat around 500 calories below that and go hard at the gym. as a beginner you'll build some muscle while losing fat

read some of the stickies at the top for more information
    munchies on a cut is the true test of discipline crew

estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know, but if you read my post you’ll discover that for me it’s more about going back from OMAD and Keto so something else.
    So, I get the CICO Statement, but what about the meal split (I hit the gym in the mornings but don’t like to eat breakfast) and more particularly: what macros?

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You just eat a calorie deficit of 500. Doesn't matter if it has carbs in it. You make sure you eat a lot of protein. Around 0.8 gram per lbs bodyweight or more.
    And you go to the gym with a muscle building routine program. Lift heavy and you should gain the most muscle despite cutting.
    Your meals will also be more tasty if you quit the keto stuff. But it's up to you.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't understand how you said your TDEE is 2493 but you go to the gym 4-6 times per week. At your height/weight and with your gym time your TDEE should 3000+ a day.

Don't overthink this man, start with 2500 calories. That's 2500 ACTUAL TRACKED CALORIES, including every bit of sauce, cooking oil, cream/sugar in your coffee, etc.

Ensure you're getting at least 0.8g of protein and 0.4g of fats per lb of bodyweight, then fill the rest with carbs or whatever combination of macros your prefer. Do that for 2-3 weeks and adjust intake as required until you're losing about 1kg per week.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^ xsquid99 is on point. Carbs are designed to be ultra-palatable and we have tons of flavors for ‘em. It’s hard to compete with that. This is why “cheat days” are in vogue. Sometimes you just gotta reset, go hog wild, and let your body’s receptors up-regulate. Decide what to do from there.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    I don't understand how you said your TDEE is 2493 but you go to the gym 4-6 times per week. At your height/weight and with your gym time your TDEE should 3000+ a day.

Don't overthink this man, start with 2500 calories. That's 2500 ACTUAL TRACKED CALORIES, including every bit of sauce, cooking oil, cream/sugar in your coffee, etc.

Ensure you're getting at least 0.8g of protein and 0.4g of fats per lb of bodyweight, then fill the rest with carbs or whatever combination of macros your prefer. Do that for 2-3 weeks and adjust intake as required until you're losing about 1kg per week.
    I do track everything I eat or drink. Even if I cook and half of the fat stays in the pan, it’s going into my log.

Regarding TDEE, correct, during training days it’s going to be around 3000 to 3200.

So, basically what I’ll do:
    Get 220-250g of protein/day
    Get 160-240g of carbs (240 when training, 160 when off)
    Around 50g of fat. This is just the fat that comes from the cuts of meat I eat, or even quark, etc... I don’t put a lot of emphasis on fat.

Creatine, I will get that back in. I’ll ditch any other supplements (Potassium, Omega 3) except some Magnesium and multi vitamine.
    I’ll not step on the scale daily. In fact, I may not step on it in the next two weekends my body adjusts to the new way of eating and soaks up water like a sponge due to Creatine and carbs. But I’ll take my measurements each Friday and determine my body fat with the navy method.

What I eat and when I eat, in general, will be an if it fits my macros approach.

Sounds like a plan?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just curious why would you come here and ask for advice and then just decide to do whatever the heck you want?

0.4g of fats per lb of bodyweight is the MINIMUM recommended for proper hormone and organ function. For you that means over 100g of fats DAILY, not 75, and certainly not 50, which will probably have you feeling like absolute chit. Protein and fats are both essential macronutrients and therefore have minimums you should be hitting, carbohydrates are actually non-essential.

Weigh yourself EVERY DAY, at the same time, under the same conditions. Take the average of 7 days and then compare it to the average of the next 7 days, then the next, etc. Weight loss is a trend that happens over time, when you weigh yourself sporadically you introduce too many chances of high or low weigh-ins due to water retention and other factors. Only the weight averaged out over time is going to give you a valid trend to watch.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

The thing I don’t understand is that when I have 37% of body fat, why should I be eating a lot of fat. Also, Body functions i agree, but does my body fat need to be accounted for in this calculation?
    What about lean body mass?

I mean, if i do that I easily take in 2.600kal per day. Not too much?
    Or other way around: am I calculating my TDEE on non training days wrong?

But basically, you’re recommending I should eat >100g of fat and rather tune down carbs.
    Last edited by estikei; 10-06-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Dietary fats as part of your daily nutrition has nothing to do with bodyfat.. Bodyfat is just the product of eating in an overall caloric surplus over time; any and all macronutrients will result in excess bodyfat if your intake is too high for your activity level.

You really have no idea what your LBM is, you're obese and there really isn't a way to determine it so any guess would just be a ballpark. Its really irrelevant anyways.

240g of protein = 960 cals
    100g of fats = 900 cals
    185g of carbs = 740 cals
    -------------------
    2600 cals per day, which is probably a decent starting point. You don't need to worry about raising and lowering calories on training or non-training days, don't try to overcomplicate things.

You can drop cals as required as the weight comes off...

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Dietary fats as part of your daily nutrition has nothing to do with bodyfat.. Bodyfat is just the product of eating in an overall caloric surplus over time; any and all macronutrients will result in excess bodyfat if your intake is too high for your activity level.

You really have no idea what your LBM is, you're obese and there really isn't a way to determine it so any guess would just be a ballpark. Its really irrelevant anyways.

240g of protein = 960 cals
    100g of fats = 900 cals
    185g of carbs = 740 cals
    -------------------
    2600 cals per day, which is probably a decent starting point. You don't need to worry about raising and lowering calories on training or non-training days, don't try to overcomplicate things.

You can drop cals as required as the weight comes off...
    Ok, thanks man. Really appreciate it. I'll copy and start a log on my journey. Would appreciate if you and a few others could pay a visit every once in a while.

faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by estikei View Post
    The thing I don’t understand is that when I have 37% of body fat, why should I be eating a lot of fat.
    mythbusters: bodybuilding edition

fat itself doesn't make you fat, a sustained caloric surplus does, as mentioned in the post above. there's way too much misinformation about these things so i understand why you may think that
    munchies on a cut is the true test of discipline crew

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    mythbusters: bodybuilding edition

fat itself doesn't make you fat, a sustained caloric surplus does, as mentioned in the post above. there's way too much misinformation about these things so i understand why you may think that
    Yes, it is crazy how weight loss can be expressed as simple as CICO... But when you're in this and need to lose 100 lbs for example and you're looking for a good approach, it is crazy how you get so many different opinions, studies, scientific approaches.
    Some say go KETO and eat like a trashcan, some say eat less than 1000kcal per day, some say do extended fasts...
    And, last but not least, a lot of information in the internet needs to be put in front of a business background. People want to make money off of fat people desperate for the magic pill. Basically, if you have a tendency in your thoughts, you will be able to find the "science" to support it.

I'm looking for something that is sustainable on the long run.
    I'm not going to be KETO for the rest of my life - way too much fun I'm missing out on food. I'm not going to starve myself neither, or continuously be fasting.

What i can imagine is : eat in a balanced way and train hard when i go to the gym 4x or 6x per week.

Hi guys,

wanted to follow up here and also refer to my LOG in the losing fat section.

So, i've been eating according to the proposed macros since Sunday. Did 4 workouts during that time (1 more to come tomorrow) and started using creatine again.
    Of course, my weight went up. Which drives me mad but at the same time i know this is to be expected when re-filling glutens and using creatine.
    Still, the weight gain is moderate. I went up 1,4kg only, which is completely fine.

It is just that i want to see myself below 130kg so badly...
    Check out my log in the „losing fat“ category
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177624361