sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000)

calories in =/= calories out

if this were true, and if it were this simple, then you could eat 2000 calories of candy bars and achieve the same results as someone who eats 2000 calories of nutritious food. this is not true, and it should seem obviously not true, because the human body and the metabolic and physiological mechanisms that process the foods we eat is way, WAY more complicated than CICO.

I don't think CICO is helpful advice. in fact, i think it's really misleading. can we PLEASE try to be a little more precise?

it is true that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

but this is also misleading, since for many, the goal isnt to lose weight, it's to lose fat.

if you lose water weight and muscle weight, you've lost weight. congrats?

and even if you can measure exactly how many calories you're consuming, there is really no way to know (within even a large margin of error) how many calories your body is burning, and or what its doing with those foods. you might lose more weight eating more calories of different foods than you would eating fewer calories of other foods, and vice versa. you cant really measure the second half of the CICO equation!

so thats my rant. my advice is to eat plenty of healthy food, sleep, exercise, be consistent, and then measure your results over time and adjust.

good day!

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First enjoy this basic self study done by Dr Mark Haub:-

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/1...sor/index.html

He ate basically ***p and lost weight so on that front yes calories in vs calories out causes weight loss.

Now for muscle retention, satiety and health would it work. Most likely not (but as you can see his health markers did improve with weight loss so health is very loose depending on your goal). As for muscle retention weight training and adequate amounts of protein would cover that and consuming extra protein won't make any difference in muscle retention. That is why this sticky exists:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

No-one here says that optimal body composition is dependant on just CICO however for weight loss or fat loss your body must be in a caloric deficit therefore on that front CICO is the king. You need other stuff for optimal body comp but really these are quite easy to hit as the required protein really is not that much (anywhere between 100-160g protein is plenty for most people). The third important part is weight training but as that is nothing to do with nutrition is not part of this discussion.

As the effects of TEF I wouldn't even bother considering it. It makes up so little amount of calories burnt it really makes no significant difference.

So IMO calories in vs calories out is not misleading as once you hit your optimal amounts of protein and micros (which as stated really isnt that high) body composition is controlled by calories, this is especially true for fat loss.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sandaltan View Post
    if this were true, and if it were this simple, then you could eat 2000 calories of candy bars and achieve the same results as someone who eats 2000 calories of nutritious food. this is not true, and it should seem obviously not true, because the human body and the metabolic and physiological mechanisms that process the foods we eat is way, WAY more complicated than CICO.

I don't think CICO is helpful advice. in fact, i think it's really misleading. can we PLEASE try to be a little more precise?

it is true that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

but this is also misleading, since for many, the goal isnt to lose weight, it's to lose fat.

and even if you can measure exactly how many calories you're consuming, there is really no way to know (within even a large margin of error) how many calories your body is burning, and or what its doing with those foods. you might lose more weight eating more calories of different foods than you would eating fewer calories of other foods, and vice versa. you cant really measure the second half of the CICO equation!

so thats my rant. my advice is to eat plenty of healthy food, sleep, exercise, be consistent, and then measure your results over time and adjust.

good day!
    Start by reading this: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Then let us know if you have any questions.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP, you’re not wrong but you’re throwing the baby out with the bath water. CICO, despite being very deeply flawed, is pretty much the best approximation that we have today for directionality of weight change. I personally feel that sensation of hunger or fullness is a better approximation, but it is super subjective and unique to each person.

Yes, food choices matter and they have a huge effect on calorie expenditure. But for 99% of people simply using CICO is going to get them headed in the right direction. Once they are on their way, they will slowly pick up more and more knowledge about the complicated web of metabolic physiology.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

good day!
    Lol you already plague the R/P section with your idiocy, don't subject this forum to it as well.

Kindly (not really) gtfo
    USAF
    LEO

Operation Inherent Resolve ~ 2019

MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Whilst there might be more than CICO when it comes to health and body composition, at the other end of the scale we have people who will eat nothing but chicken breast and broccoli because they believe everything else will instantly turn to fat.

CICO is really easy for people to understand, and as Hardyboysare pointed out, if you couple CICO with optimal amounts of protein and fat, you're probably off to a good start. When cutting in particular, it's difficult to hit the recommended protein and fat minimums if you stay within your calories but only eat junk.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rtpmarine View Post
    OP, you’re not wrong but you’re throwing the baby out with the bath water. CICO, despite being very deeply flawed, is pretty much the best approximation that we have today for directionality of weight change. I personally feel that sensation of hunger or fullness is a better approximation, but it is super subjective and unique to each person.
    Not really. "Sensation of hunger or fulness" is heavily influenced by food choices. It's not necessarily a sign for eating under or over maintenance. CICO, while far from perfect, is a much better model for predicting weight gain or loss. As demonstrated by this study, for example: https://osf.io/preprints/nutrixiv/w3zh2

rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rtpmarine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Not really. "Sensation of hunger or fulness" is heavily influenced by food choices. It's not necessarily a sign for eating under or over maintenance. CICO, while far from perfect, is a much better model for predicting weight gain or loss. As demonstrated by this study, for example: https://osf.io/preprints/nutrixiv/w3zh2
    Believe me, I am a huge advocate of “food choices matter”. All I’m saying is that, given a certain diet, being hungry or being full tells me with good accuracy which direction I’m heading in. The bell curve shifts if I eat 400 calories of steak vs. 400 calories of bread, so I’ve learned to use it as an approximation dependent on my food choices.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Srsly? Another CICO thread?
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    It seems like society wants to become more and more precise as time goes by, regardless of whether or not we have the ability to achieve such precision. It’s like in sports how people demand every little ticky tacky call to be instantly reviewed for accuracy. The expectation is that doing so somehow elevates the experience and makes it more fair, but we see in practice that it’s just a never-ending rabbit-hole that ultimately degrades the entertainment value.

So it goes with CICO. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best we got right now. Attempts to improve it are not done out of malice but out of desire to get the call right.

Believe me, I am a huge advocate of “food choices matter”.
    My point wasn't really "food choices matter". My point was that CICO is a better approximation for directionality and magnitude of weight gain/loss than sensations of fulness or hunger. And that's supported by many studies.

My point wasn't really "food choices matter". My point was that CICO is a better approximation for directionality and magnitude of weight gain/loss than sensations of fulness or hunger. And that's supported by many studies.
    I disagree with your interpretation of the study. I don’t think the study set out to prove the efficacy of CICO, it just wanted to show that some foods will leave you hungrier than others. This obviously must be taken into account when using satiety as a guide stick.

If you are saying that CICO is a better tool for the majority of people, then I’m with you 100%. I only prefer to use satiety because it’s less of a PITA.

I disagree with your interpretation of the study.
    You probably didn't understand what my interpretation was. Both groups ate ad libitum. The group that ate ultra processed foods ended up eating more calories. They gained more weight, in accordance to how many calories they ate. In this highly controlled study CICO was a much better predictor of weight gain than sensations of fulness.

I understand that you prefer to go by fullness for personal reasons. That's fine of course. I only objected to the claim that it's a better approximation of weight gain than CICO. This is not supported by science.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I thought the same but first I thought it was that other one till I saw the date

Im guessing another "is protein based on body weight or goal weight" thread is due lol
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP why don't you eat 2,000 cals of candy bars for a month and report back
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP completely misses the point regarding how and why advice here is given. I don't even know where to begin.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    calories in =/= calories out
    Ummm....

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Ummm....
    That poster frequents the R/P section with comparable idiocy shown here. Be grateful you aren't subjected to it lol.
    USAF
    LEO

Operation Inherent Resolve ~ 2019

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ummm....

lol on spread
    The power of carbs compels me!

sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000) sandaltan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ummm....
    you literally ignored 90% of my post

Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    That poster frequents the R/P section with comparable idiocy shown here. Be grateful you aren't subjected to it lol.
    gotta let go of the grudges dude. i cant remember, and dont think about, anything you've ever said

but here you are still upset about stuff i posted like a year ago

i think that means i win

Start by reading this: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Then let us know if you have any questions.
    hey that is actually a very informative post! thank you!

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hey that is actually a very informative post! thank you!

Yes

He created it as well
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Vassilis30 View Post
    Calories in - calorie out works for WEIGHT changes.
    Macros dictate muscle/fat changes.
    So it's a little more complicated than calories in/out
    Fat changes dictated by a deficit or surplus of calories and muscle change is dictated by training program. A normal, conscientious diet will provide sufficient macro split provided calories are in line with goals
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) allrnder has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    is the search feature broken? or did OP not have a look for recent posts before posting this?

My prev reply
    Calories in vs calories out is not a myth
    Not all calories are created equal.

Also humans are not closed systems. We are open systems. the 1st law of thermodynamics applies but the 2nd law is more detailed for humans.
    Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Stu Phillips, Lyle McDonald. FTW.

Not a physique competitor but hope to compete in powerlifting next year. Max bench 1RM with pause 160kg. 352lbs.

Lift and learn.