Grumpy232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I glanced at the sticky for newbs, but I'm a total dummy....

Lots of detail in that thread. I don't think I'm there yet. I'm 59, currently 250.0 lbs. I started at 274 beginning early July. I've basically cut sugars (candy, doughnuts), alcohol (for the most part) and have been doing Keto and whole 30 recipes. I started going to the gym and doing the 531 program and doing the Couch to 5K program for my cardio.

There are lots of terms in these threads that are new to me and a bit overwhelming. My plan is to keep what I'm currently doing and lose my gut, and get into reasonably good shape. I like to ski and hike and want to get into shape to be able to those comfortably. But now that I'm on track for losing weight and building core strength, I'm starting to have a few questions for down the road. Like what do I stay away from to keep from losing muscle or do I even have to worry about that? I know that going down to my ideal weight will be great for me, but at the same time, I (for the first time in my life) want to look somewhat cut. I'm at the point that I don't feel good when I miss more that two days in a row at the gym. I'm seeing some real progress and feel good about the direction I'm going in.

At this point I'm looking for a diet for dummies. In the beginning the person who is training me told me to stay away from fruits (sugars) and tomatoes and such, and go green. Been good for the most part, but I don't want to rely on him solely. So at this point, I want to get educated. In the meantime, I'll be going through the recipes here, thanks!

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "Like what do I stay away from to keep from losing muscle or do I even have to worry about that?"

To avoid losing muscle, continue to weight train and make strength gains while consuming adequate protein (recommended in the stickies). Also, don't cut on too high a deficit.

"I know that going down to my ideal weight will be great for me, but at the same time, I (for the first time in my life) want to look somewhat cut. I'm at the point that I don't feel good when I miss more that two days in a row at the gym. I'm seeing some real progress and feel good about the direction I'm going in."

I mean it sounds like you're on the right track, just don't feel 'bad' if you can't make it to the gym for a legitimate reason. Working out should enhance your life. Make it a priority, but understand that it's long-term trends that dictate long-term success.

"At this point I'm looking for a diet for dummies. In the beginning the person who is training me told me to stay away from fruits (sugars) and tomatoes and such, and go green. Been good for the most part, but I don't want to rely on him solely. So at this point, I want to get educated. In the meantime, I'll be going through the recipes here, thanks!"

Your trainer gave you horrible advice.

Fruit SHOULD be in your diet, and tomatoes, etc, are full of healthful nutrients. ZERO reason to avoid tomatoes unless you're somehow allergic or sensitive to them.

Eat a varied diet (not KETO, not Paleo, etc... you don't have to have a label to what you're doing), lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, whole food proteins... etc...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, Adam gave you an excellent mini-sticky ^^^

But as a trainer I have to say I'm continually pissed at trainers spewing out diet nonsense that they aren't even qualified at

Sorry that happened to you and stay here in the Nut Main forum and ask questions, lurk and learn from the knowledgeable
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    OP, Adam gave you an excellent mini-sticky ^^^

But as a trainer I have to say I'm continually pissed at trainers spewing out diet nonsense that they aren't even qualified at

Sorry that happened to you and stay here in the Nut Main forum and ask questions, lurk and learn from the knowledgeable
    Next time im in so-cal im coming for a session
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Next time im in so-cal im coming for a session
    That would be awesome

+ In n Out post w/o lol

Wait, do they have them in Seattle, excuse my ignorance if so?
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

That would be awesome

+ In n Out post w/o lol

Wait, do they have them in Seattle, excuse my ignorance if so?
    No in-n-out here... it's one of the things I miss the most about cali =o(

No in-n-out here... it's one of the things I miss the most about cali =o(
    BRB

Overnighting Double Doubles
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K

BRB

Overnighting Double Doubles
    Oh lawd if only... imagine if in-n-out sold flash-frozen burgers online... i'd order that

Oh lawd if only... imagine if in-n-out sold flash-frozen burgers online... i'd order that
    That would be great!

I don't even think here in LA that uber eats, etc delivers it or that you can order that way

Could be wrong
    NASM CPT

RIP my friend D4K