Thread: One Handed Noob

BigPat26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

One Handed Noob

So my only hand capable of lifting weights is my right. Won't get into details, but a gun went bomb and took most my left hand with it. So yea i'm pretty much limited to my right hand only.

I've always admired strongmen, and their ability to do what they do. I've never took my health seriously and it has led me down a very bad path. I stand at 6' even and weight a hair over 400 pounds which is not good. Now i'm sure by this point you're picturing a bed ridden internet troll. But that is not the case. I'm a bit of an oddity really when it comes to doing the things I do at my size. All through my life I've never let my weight hinder me, I played sports, go camping, hiking, and other stuff. Just my weight never became a factor. But now I've realized that one day i'm going to die, probably sooner rather than later if I don't change.

So here I am, wanting to change and determined to do so.

I want to start seriously weight lifting, but I haven't a clue where to start. I would like to build myself like a strongman does. I want to be able to do the things they do to the best of my abilities.

lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000) lolnatty is a name known to all. (+5000)
    best of luck with it

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What kind of access do you have to strength training equipment?

Can you at least support a barbell with your other hand (e.g. for squats)? If not, you might need to find a gym with a safety squat bar which would be ideal for you. Lots of overhead pressing and one arm rows with heavy dumbbells for your upper body work. And then throw in the one handed deadlift from time to time. That's how I would look at it to get started.

BigPat26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    What kind of access do you have to strength training equipment?

Can you at least support a barbell with your other hand (e.g. for squats)? If not, you might need to find a gym with a safety squat bar which would be ideal for you. Lots of overhead pressing and one arm rows with heavy dumbbells for your upper body work. And then throw in the one handed deadlift from time to time. That's how I would look at it to get started.
    I can support a barbell with my left hand easily in squat. It's just I can't put much weight on it without hurting my hand, but steadying a bar on my shoulder should be no problem

Registered User Remingtongauge2's Avatar
    Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good luck man

GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100) GreyAndMild is not very well liked. (-100)
    Strongmen might weigh around 400lbs and there's plenty of fluff there but most of the weight is solid muscle.

I don't know your fat/muscle ratios but if you're 400lbs mostly fat it might be better to lose that first or alongside strength training aswell.

There's a big guy at my gym, probably around the same size and he's one of the strongest we have but he definitely isn't healthy.

Good luck bro, however you proceed.
    Squat - 190kg

Bench - 107.5kg

Deadlift - 195kg

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm mostly blind and mostly deaf. Was really worried first time I took my cane to the gym. My fear was totally unfounded. I have both hands so my situation is different. That said, you're a novice to lifting. Start small and build up. Do bodyweight squats, sit-ups and push-ups. See if you can bear hug something heavy and walk with it. Try tire flips, or carrying a keg. Learning how to use your left arm will be tough, but you'll figure it out. It'll be very frustrating, but worth it. Promise.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555