Registered User userLHRHTESDJDX's Avatar
    userLHRHTESDJDX is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What do you think of the routine my PT has me on?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. This is my first post. I'm a 24 years old female.
    The thing is, I've been lifting since January.
    It's been 10 months and I started doubting my PT's knowledge on what she's doing. I want to know what you all think about it.

Now, she has me doing this...

Mondays
    Cuadriceps and glutes.
    Hipthrust 10 sets of 15
    Leg Press 5 x 15 or ''to failure'' she says.
    Lunges 5x15
    Hack squats or barbell squats 5x15

Tuesday
    Hamstrings and glutes.
    Hipthrust 5x15
    Leg raises 5x15
    Deadlift 5x15
    Hamstring curl 5x15
    Good mornings 5x15

Wednesday
    Upper body

Thursday
    Repeat Monday's routine

Friday
    Repeat Tuesday's routine

Obs.. she only lets me rest for 15 seconds between sets.

I'm just a beginner so I don't really know much and I don't want to waste my money.

Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    so let me get this straight, you do 15 reps and rest for 15s? 5x????

or are you lifting golf balls?

edit: i'd also be dubious of this
    PT, but then again i am bias since i believe everything you need you can probably find on this forum, let alone the rest of the internet with youtube etc

Originally Posted by Mr-Nathan View Post
    so let me get this straight, you do 15 reps and rest for 15s? 5x????

or are you lifting golf balls?
    Yes! 5 sets of 15 reps. That's what I mean with '5 x'
    Not golf balls haha.
    I hipthrust 110 lbs
    Deadlift 100 lbs
    Leg press 243 lbs

Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr-Nathan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you've made it this far, i'd ditch the trainer and find a routine on here (or the internet). LEARN. watch videos, learn the exercises and find out what works for you.

also learn about diet. there are plenty of guides on here and you'll be way better off for the rest of your life.

Originally Posted by Mr-Nathan View Post
    you've made it this far, i'd ditch the trainer and find a routine on here (or the internet). LEARN. watch videos, learn the exercises and find out what works for you.

also learn about diet. there are plenty of guides on here and you'll be way better off for the rest of your life.
    Yes, I will. Thank you for responding!

NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NerdyLady is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your trainer has you doing glutes two days in a row?
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't have a problem with upper/lower routine's but that's off balance. 1 day upper and 4 days lower makes no sense. You don't need that much lower body work.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by userLHRHTESDJDX View Post
    Wednesday
    Upper body
    Just curious since it's 4 days lower, what is the actual 1-day upper body routine? And what were your goals that you told your trainer when you started?

The thing is, I've been lifting since January.
    It's been 10 months and I started doubting my PT's knowledge on what she's doing. ... she only lets me rest for 15 seconds between sets.
    Like the others, I don't think it sounds like a great routine - but have you seen results (weight loss, muscle gain, toning, progressive increase of your lifts, leg/butt development, etc. - whatever your goals were) over the past 10 months?

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I don't have a problem with upper/lower routine's but that's off balance. 1 day upper and 4 days lower makes no sense. You don't need that much lower body work.
    That is what I was thinking. Training legs 4 days a week doesn't seem right to me.
    Thank you for responding.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Just curious since it's 4 days lower, what is the actual 1-day upper body routine? And what were your goals that you told your trainer when you started?

Like the others, I don't think it sounds like a great routine - but have you seen results (weight loss, muscle gain, toning, progressive increase of your lifts, leg/butt development, etc. - whatever your goals were) over the past 10 months?
    Upper body routine is never the same. Usually we do dumbell military press, tricep dips, tricep pushdown, shoulder flies, seated cable row, bicep curls with dumbbells. And as usual, 5 sets of 15 with 15 seconds rest between each set.

My end goal was to gain muscle but she said I should lose fat first. I did that for the first 6 months then increased my calories to start gaining. I'm way better now than when I started but "nowhere near what I should be" according to her. She always reminds me that 'I should look much bigger than what I do because of the weight I lift'. My lifts do increase as well.
    Last edited by userLHRHTESDJDX; 10-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Originally Posted by NerdyLady View Post
    Your trainer has you doing glutes two days in a row?
    Yes, she does.

bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, she does.
    I've always thought the general rule of thumb was 48hrs rest between training the same muscle group.. then again i don't have a pt certificate so what do i know..
    _/﹋\_
    (҂`_´)
    <,︻╦╤─ ҉ - -
    _/﹋\_

air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Upper body routine is never the same. Usually we do dumbell military press, tricep dips, tricep pushdown, shoulder flies, seated cable row, bicep curls with dumbbells. And as usual, 5 sets of 15 with 15 seconds rest between each set.
    Your trainer is squeezing everything in and still needs to rotate b/c she only has 1 upper body day/week.

I'm way better now than when I started but "nowhere near what I should be" according to her. She always reminds me that 'I should look much bigger than what I do because of the weight I lift'. My lifts do increase as well.
    Well at least you've seen some gains, but she should look to her own setup if she's not fully satisfied w/ your results. You can find more balanced routines and advice on the Workout page of this forum, both in terms of upper/lower and sets/reps (e.g., that don't have 30 sets of 15 reps of hip thrusts @ 15 secs rest every week).

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bea5twood View Post
    I've always thought the general rule of thumb was 48hrs rest between training the same muscle group.. then again i don't have a pt certificate so what do i know..
    No real reason for this^.

But the routine seems pretty awful in a number of ways, exercise balance, lack of upper work, low rest for everything with no clear reason as to why.

Think the trainer is throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks, and OP has good potential and work rate so is managing to progress even on an awful set up.

LHR.. etc
    https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...-prescription/

invest a little of the money you pay the trainer into this, has a full ebook on how to run it correctly, progress will be much better and more consistent
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000) bea5twood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post

But the routine seems pretty awful in a number of ways, exercise balance, lack of upper work, low rest for everything with no clear reason as to why.

Think the trainer is throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks, and OP has good potential and work rate so is managing to progress even on an awful set up.

LHR.. etc

invest a little of the money you pay the trainer into this, has a full ebook on how to run it correctly, progress will be much better and more consistent
    if 48 hours is too much what do you recommend? Because i see these smolov workouts and training back to back 3+ days. Srs not even sure anymore..
    _/﹋\_
    (҂`_´)
    <,︻╦╤─ ҉ - -
    _/﹋\_

LHR.. etc

this^^

I train full body, work everything whenever i train, same exercises, which is 2-4 times per week.

the routine just doesn't seem well thought out...or thought out at all. PT just overworking OP into thinking she had a good workout

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if 48 hours is too much what do you recommend? Because i see these smolov workouts and training back to back 3+ days. Srs not even sure anymore..
    Any well thought out routine with sensible balance, progression plans, and good fatigue management

Doesn't really matter how you choose to split it.

Personally 4 day full body gets me more motivated to train than any split so I run that
    2018 Log

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Personally 4 day full body gets me more motivated to train than any split so I run that
    Same here and it's what I've been running for years.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

LHR.. etc

I'll check that out. Thank you!

Any well thought out routine with sensible balance, progression plans, and good fatigue management

Doesn't really matter how you choose to split it.

You train high volume 4 days in a row? Or low volume?
    _/﹋\_
    (҂`_´)
    <,︻╦╤─ ҉ - -
    _/﹋\_

You train high volume 4 days in a row? Or low volume?
    2 on 1 off usually.

Depends how you choose to measure volume, and what cycle
    2018 Log