heiroi is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ulnar pain during wrist curls

When I do any motion that involves my left hand doing a curling motion, I feel pain a bit below the ulnar side of my wrist. This usually occurs in the later part or right after the motion. Because it's about wrist curls, it occurs also in bicep curls, as my wrist must maintain the position in order for the exercises to work, but not in pull ups or chin ups as the wrist doesn't really do anything there. When I do dips and push ups (whether I'm using bars, rings or the ground) no pain is felt. There are no physical signs of injury. Reverse wrist curls do not aggravate the injury. When placing my palms to the ground, fingers facing my legs, in order to stretch my wrist, I also feel this pain after the stretch is completed.

As of last week, I have been taking ibuprofen twice daily (morning+evening) and have more recently begun icing the area. I have taken a week off of my regular workout, but am considering restarting as none of my strength exercises aggravate my forearm (the exception being the bicep curls which I'm just dropping from the workout for the next 6 weeks minimum).

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had the same thing and it was likely a TFCC tear. I avoided anything that hurt it for a few weeks and did a short course of NSAIDs and it feels a lot better now

heiroi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I had the same thing and it was likely a TFCC tear. I avoided anything that hurt it for a few weeks and did a short course of NSAIDs and it feels a lot better now
    Hm. How would that sort of thing help a tear in the cartilage? I thought that stuff didn't heal.

Moreover, how long was your course? As I said, I'm already on ibuprofen (7 days so far), but the packet says not to do this for over 10 days unless a doctor says so. I see a physiotherapist tomorrow (though he says that it is most likely stability issues with the wrist).

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by heiroi View Post
    Hm. How would that sort of thing help a tear in the cartilage? I thought that stuff didn't heal.

Moreover, how long was your course? As I said, I'm already on ibuprofen (7 days so far), but the packet says not to do this for over 10 days unless a doctor says so. I see a physiotherapist tomorrow (though he says that it is most likely stability issues with the wrist).
    No clue, that's what a doc told me though. I know it's not healed up and I will avoid certain exercises for life because of it (straight bar curls especially) but it at least feels better now and I can do easy bar and hammer curls. I used NSAIDs for a couple weeks but that was due to other issues that overlapped and was instructed to do so by my doc. I would limit their use as much as possible though.