Rayine is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can Sports be an Alternative to Insanity?

Hi everyone!

I have been doing a few Insanity workouts over the past few months (classic, Max 30, Asylum I) and I was very pleased with it but I would like to explore lossless alternatives. Since it gets repetitive, I don't know if I can keep doing it on the long term over months or years.

Insanity made me stronger than I ever was and I don't want to lose what I have acquired while I explore something new. If possible, I would even seek to go higher in my level of fitness. Thus have I been looking towards doing a sport (throughout this post, when I say sport, I also mean to include martial arts) as an alternative to fitness.

This raises one main question:
    Is it possible to reach a higher level of fitness by doing a sport instead of doing Insanity? If so, what kind of sports would accomplish this goal?

My main goals are general fitness, speed and agility. I don't necessarily want to build bulky muscles (though I welcome them). I would like my abs to show and lose fat but I surmise the latter will come as a natural consequence of fitness.

Thank you for your help!

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What is the purpose of your training? I know you said general fitness, speed etc. but how you train for these varies enormously based on what you want to do with them. Of course, the number one rule of sport training is specificity - practice the sport you want to get better at.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What is the purpose of your training? I know you said general fitness, speed etc. but how you train for these varies enormously based on what you want to do with them. Of course, the number one rule of sport training is specificity - practice the sport you want to get better at.
    I'm not really sure either how to define what I want. I want to be able to live long and reduce illness while being able to do everyday life activities with ease. Maybe the goal I am looking for in sports is the same goal to which the solution is Insanity?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Ah, in that case, have a read of this:
    https://www.paleofx.com/3-reasons-yo...-bodybuilding/

I can relate to the desire to be healthy, generally fit, resist ageing and looking good is a bonus.

bodybuilding is what you want.

Thanks for your suggestion! Bodybuilding seems to be good as a general idea but I don't know how to start it. I guess I could look for resources online or trainers in my area. However, I would still like to get some suggestions regarding sports. Is there a sport that makes you fitter than Insanity?

WakingOp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Level of fitness is determined by the measuring stick. Or in this case the sport. Insanity will increase your fitness to perform insanity. X sport will increase your fitness performing that sport. There's always crossover, but it's apples and oranges. At this point you just want to get strong- that's bodybuilding. Just start picking up heavy ****. When you have a more specific goal, start working towards that. But for now, develop strength. Having a strength base will make you better at whatever sport you pursue

TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TopHeavyMirin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lmao just do CrossFit and then upload some posts on facebook about gay pride and body positivity.

jokes aside i dont think Bodybuilding should be fine for you but doing more cardio will be better for your health. just dont take the bodybuilding too far like some bros do.
    "Get Better Today" - Russel Orhii

SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000) SoCalHurler is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion! Bodybuilding seems to be good as a general idea but I don't know how to start it. I guess I could look for resources online or trainers in my area. However, I would still like to get some suggestions regarding sports. Is there a sport that makes you fitter than Insanity?
    If all your looking for is well balanced fitness, do the following. Choose a 3 day full body novice program (all pros, fierce five, etc.) and run it. On off days (between weight lifting sessions) do some cardio via sports or your own (running, swimming, jump rope, rowing, etc.). Read the nutrition forum to taylor your diet towards your goals (add muscle, cut fat, or maintain). This ain't rocket science, and these basics (moderate strength training, moderate cardiovascular training, and proper diet) are all the average person needs to stay healthy.