AJGuess is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink Wanted: Your personal experience with IIFYM vs Clean Eating during cutting/ show prep

Hey guys. Was just just hoping to gain some insight from those of you that have successfully leaned out using IIFYM compared to cutting by eating clean and whole foods. A few or more years ago when I was attempting to do either a bikini or figure competition, I was introduced to IIFYM. I had leaned out pretty nice, and was hovering around 17-18% body fat but was struggling to dial in my diet even further. I would have wild swing appetites and occasionally fall off my diet. Not serious binge eating with a box of cookies or anything, but maybe over eat by 250-750 cals at least 1 time a week. The rest of my diet was always very clean with high micronutrient foods and never had a problem getting my fiber.

I am half Asian, 5'2'', 33 years old and naturally carry my weight in my midsection first (which totally sucks for me, yes, I know.) My body seems to do really well when I only eat clean, whole foods and with complex carbs for my main carb source. It just always seems I really struggle to not do the occasional binge when dieting.

My buddy who was originally helping me through my cut years ago is a Pro Bodybuilder and had no issues with IIFYM for himself and was encouraging me to do it that way so that I could have my occasional fix on "XYZ" to satisfy my foodie curse. I just wonder, am I the type or genetically predisposed to binge eating if I allow any simple carbs in my diet. In my observance, I see many very successful bodybuilders who mostly eat super clean and do not eat any "junk foods." But then there are those who are extremely successful eating IIFYM too like my friend. I guess I am just looking for some inspiration. I want to try again this year but would like more insight from other people who know from experience. And for women that went through this too, are our hormones much more volatile that we would benefit much more from a diet with less swings in sugar level, or cholesterol, etc. since our hormones vary a lot more then men? Any help and insight appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by AJGuess; 09-09-2019 at 09:24 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's not an either-or

If you want weight loss to work, you have to count calories and preferably also macros. If you don't, you are leaving results to chance. Homeostasis will snafu you sooner or later.

If you want to suppress hunger, you have to eat filling foods that are high in protein, fiber, water etc. Not refined foods which don't fill you up - what you might call "clean" foods. You also need to get your necessary vitamins, minerals, essential fats and protein in less calories...

Short answer: both.

AJGuess is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for your reply. I realize I was extremely wordy in my original post lol.. when I was cutting, I did count macros and I was able to have some mild success. I guess what I was wondering, was whether or not most respond better to a "clean eating" cut or IIFYM. And if they are having a "cheat meal," how after are they allowing themselves a cheat meal? My pro BB friend was 80/20ish- 80 clean, 20 IIFYM but probably every single day. He would mostly eat clean but would also have some junk almost on the daily with donuts, sugary cereal, ice cream, red vines, French fries, you name it and he would eat it but counted macros closely and may have only one meal/ snack consisting of "junk." He would still cut up super nice and last 2 weeks or so clean up his diet since he could not afford the calories of any junk but still manage to end at nearly 3% BF. Wtf? And he was not always like this. I watched him turn pro over the course of several shows.

I was kind of allowing myself to do the same, count my macros and all but include some kind of junk food every other day or so. But before I start another cut, I am wondering if I needed to just allow a cheat meal once a week max, perhaps, not at all?. I just dont want to fall off again and I see that many people who are successful are very stringent with their diets and clean eat religiously. One week for me is hard enough and I love the IIFYM idea but I am wondering if I just need to cut out all crap foods since I obviously have such a weak mindset at times. I LOVE FOOD!!! All kinds of food, from anywhere in the world. You name it I would probably eat it. I am pretty sure my soul is morbidly obese. Lol. And there I go again with words. Sheesh. But I just want to get lean!! Beautiful and amazing food or beautiful super lean body for once in my life? Dang it. Like I dunno, maybe 15, 13% bf? I am trying to train my mind to not love food so much and I have made some leaps but still loving it. Haha. And dont get me wrong, I love my body, I just would like to see what it looked like at a lower %bf. Thoughts appreciated!

rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100) rexfrommex is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by AJGuess View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I realize I was extremely wordy in my original post lol.. when I was cutting, I did count macros and I was able to have some mild success. I guess what I was wondering, was whether or not most respond better to a "clean eating" cut or IIFYM. And if they are having a "cheat meal," how after are they allowing themselves a cheat meal? My pro BB friend was 80/20ish- 80 clean, 20 IIFYM but probably every single day. He would mostly eat clean but would also have some junk almost on the daily with donuts, sugary cereal, ice cream, red vines, French fries, you name it and he would eat it but counted macros closely and may have only one meal/ snack consisting of "junk." He would still cut up super nice and last 2 weeks or so clean up his diet since he could not afford the calories of any junk but still manage to end at nearly 3% BF. Wtf? And he was not always like this. I watched him turn pro over the course of several shows.

I was kind of allowing myself to do the same, count my macros and all but include some kind of junk food every other day or so. But before I start another cut, I am wondering if I needed to just allow a cheat meal once a week max, perhaps, not at all?. I just dont want to fall off again and I see that many people who are successful are very stringent with their diets and clean eat religiously. One week for me is hard enough and I love the IIFYM idea but I am wondering if I just need to cut out all crap foods since I obviously have such a weak mindset at times. I LOVE FOOD!!! All kinds of food, from anywhere in the world. You name it I would probably eat it. I am pretty sure my soul is morbidly obese. Lol. And there I go again with words. Sheesh. But I just want to get lean!! Beautiful and amazing food or beautiful super lean body for once in my life? Dang it. Like I dunno, maybe 15, 13% bf? I am trying to train my mind to not love food so much and I have made some leaps but still loving it. Haha. And dont get me wrong, I love my body, I just would like to see what it looked like at a lower %bf. Thoughts appreciated!
    Cheat meals just stall your progress. I don't want to get wordy but when you cut from maintence you are down 2100 calories a week usually. You can have junk food depending on what it is but you do need to count your protein/fat/extra calories. If you go over how ever much you are supposed to eat then you aren't really cutting youre just gonna stay the same weight. You can eat junk food all day but in moderation and make sure to meet your macros and you will look cut. If you really lack self control like you say then I would just bulk constantly and cut when you are ready but yea if you try and cheat you will stall and fail. I mean you even said yourself that your friend tracks his cals and eats bad food but still cuts good that's all u gotta do.
    Donald Trump Jr. and Tucker Carlson 2024