andyb9385 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Powerlifting/strength program

Hi everyone

Just looking for some advice and your thoughts on my routine that I am currently doing. The aim is to build strength and size and go back to basics and get very good and strong at the basic barbell lifts.

Workout A
    Squat 8sets 3 reps
    Bench 8 sets 3 reps
    Deadlift 4 sets 3 reps

Workout B lighter technique work
    Squat 6 sets 6reps
    Weighted pull ups 3 sets 10-15 reps
    Weighted dips 3 sets 10-15 reps
    Seated hamstring curl 3 sets 10-15 reps

Workout C
    Squat 8 sets 3 reps
    Ohp 8 sets 3 reps
    Pendlay row 8 sets 3 reps

Workout A and C are jyst straight sets and when I can completes all the sets and reps with good form and technique I will then increase the weight by 5kg and go again.
    Workout B is a. Lighter day for squats to work on speed and technique and to also give my body a rest from squatting heavy.

Please let me know your thoughts on this and if you would change it in any way. Thanks in advance
    Andy

DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DrewDarden has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by andyb9385 View Post
    Workout A and C are jyst straight sets and when I can completes all the sets and reps with good form and technique I will then increase the weight by 5kg and go again.
    Workout B is a. Lighter day for squats to work on speed and technique and to also give my body a rest from squatting heavy.
    Andy
    So it's the Texas Method without the shift from high volume on Monday to high intensity on Friday (probably the most important element of the program).

Really it just depends on whether or not it's working for you.

You stated yourself that you just add weight to the bar when you complete the reps. If you're in a stage of development where that's working for you, then keep doing that of course. But personally I'd change it to fit the standard mold a little more, assuming you're set on keeping a push, a pull and a squat in each workout three times per week:

Squat 3x5 (or 5x5 or 5x3 or 8x3, whatever floats your boat, but don't overdo it)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5

Squat 2x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Assistance work

Squat x1-5 reps @ 90%+
    Bench Press x1-5 reps @ 90%+
    Deadlift x1-5 reps @ 90%+
    1500 Total 560/370/570

"No one who was great shall be forgotten." Soren Kierkegaard

Gainweight4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Texas Method is very easily adapted to a competitive schedule. In fact, if you wanted, you could compete with virtually no changes whatsoever. All you’d have to do is skip your Friday workout and then compete on Saturday. Remember, the entire idea behind this program is that you’re fully recovered and stronger by each Friday.

Registered User Remingtongauge2's Avatar
    Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I might try this out