Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000)

Unhappy Herniated Disc: Have any of you guys FULLY recovered?

I'm talking your back feels just like it did (or very close) prior to the herniation. And not having to do core exercises regularly to prevent pain from coming back. Basically can you go on with your life without being inconvenienced by your fukking back or it causing pain.

I feel and pray that this isn't something I'm gonna have to deal with the rest of my life. Please share your experience or knowledge guys. Thank you.

Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What is the disc composed of? Maybe look into UCII? It's supposed to be very good for regrowing cartilage, but what would a disc qualify as? Is it made of collagen?

EDIT: NVM, I just wiki'd it and it seems to be made of cartilage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervertebral_disc

You should try out the UCII (undenatured collagen). Or you can make chicken bone broth as it possesses similar qualities. But it has to be bone.
    Last edited by Roke; 05-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.

NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000) NorCalMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Roke View Post
    What is the disc composed of? Maybe look into UCII? It's supposed to be very good for regrowing cartilage, but what would a disc qualify as? Is it made of collagen?
    The definition: Medical condition affecting the spine. A painful rupture of the fibrocartilage of the disc between spinal vertebrae; occurs most often in the lumbar region.

Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Roke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^^

See my edit.

SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10) SyTyJedi is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Not here, herniated disc in Jan 07 and I have pain almost every day. It's worst on days when the weather changes dramatically, like warm one day and then very cold the next. I guess this is our joints expanding/contracting/moving or something. When I actually herniated it I was washing out a filter in my workshop sink in the garage first thing in the morning. I just leaned slightly forward and was paralyzed with pain and dropped to the ground.

I did PT and learned that 60% of men with herniated L5 S1 (like mine) have super tight hamstrings so stretching helps a ton. Your hams don't bend so your back bears the strain instead. If I stretch and do ab/core stuff it helps a lot. Lots of my PT was working on a swiss/yoga ball to support during exercises.

Sometimes it seems the more that I work hard the better it gets, like a whole weekend of working on my car and I feel great - then some day out of the blue I'm in pain and I have pain pulses going down the sciatic nerve in my left leg. I usually toss/turn a few times once I get in bed to find a position that is comfortable to sleep in. I never sleep on my back anymore. It also helps to sleep with a pillow between your legs if you sleep on your side. I'm usually stiff in the morning (heh) so I try not to do anything until I've had a shower and am kinda up and going for the day. I only have to take vicodin a few times a year.

Hopefully one day there will be a decent disc replacement option. My Dr. said there just isn't anything worthwhile out right now.

Hit me up with any questions you may have, I would love to help - living in constant pain sucks.

tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000) tx_rican is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whats helped me the most is an inversion table. No herniated disc here though. I had a compression fracture in my L3 two novembers ago. I still get sore every now and then but i have zero pain.

If only i was sober enough to realize how stupid of an idea it was to jump off my friends second story apt building into a bush lol
    "Easy, peezy, lemon squeezy."

mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mpavlo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Herniated my L5S1 in September 2012, entire left leg was pretty much cramped up and I could hardly walk, dat dere muscle spasms included. Couldn't walk for 2 months without limping and taking breaks from being in so much ****ing pain. Symptoms have gone away pretty much completely, just still some tightness but it usually clears up when I stretch and workout.

Here's my advice to you from what has worked for me and helped me get rid of the pains almost completely. Keep going with the core exercises and do them frequently. I also used the "clickheat" heating gel pad I borrowed from a friend of mine but you can order one from the site, they're worth the investment. (clickheat.com if you want to get one as well). I applied the heating gel dailly for half an hour, with the mini massage stimulant pads atttached to my lower back included, the ones where it sends a small electrical pulse to the sticky pads (mom's friend was a physio, lended it to my mom a while ago, the device was useful).

Stay safe brah.
    Toronto Crew
    GoodLife Personal Trainer
    Looking to be a personal trainer for GoodLife? Contact me for more information.

ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ace_gauntlit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    happened in 2006. I'd say i'm at 90% but never will be 100%

Originally Posted by SyTyJedi View Post
    Not here, herniated disc in Jan 07 and I have pain almost every day. It's worst on days when the weather changes dramatically, like warm one day and then very cold the next. I guess this is our joints expanding/contracting/moving or something. When I actually herniated it I was washing out a filter in my workshop sink in the garage first thing in the morning. I just leaned slightly forward and was paralyzed with pain and dropped to the ground.

I did PT and learned that 60% of men with herniated L5 S1 (like mine) have super tight hamstrings so stretching helps a ton. Your hams don't bend so your back bears the strain instead. If I stretch and do ab/core stuff it helps a lot. Lots of my PT was working on a swiss/yoga ball to support during exercises.

Sometimes it seems the more that I work hard the better it gets, like a whole weekend of working on my car and I feel great - then some day out of the blue I'm in pain and I have pain pulses going down the sciatic nerve in my left leg. I usually toss/turn a few times once I get in bed to find a position that is comfortable to sleep in. I never sleep on my back anymore. It also helps to sleep with a pillow between your legs if you sleep on your side. I'm usually stiff in the morning (heh) so I try not to do anything until I've had a shower and am kinda up and going for the day. I only have to take vicodin a few times a year.

Hopefully one day there will be a decent disc replacement option. My Dr. said there just isn't anything worthwhile out right now.

Hit me up with any questions you may have, I would love to help - living in constant pain sucks.
    Wow real sorry to hear you've been dealing with this for over 6 years . Sounds like a very severe herniation. I mean if you straight up dropped to the ground that is no small deal. I also noticed the core work helps a TON. Just walking on a treadmill.

My herniation wasn't as extreme as yours. In fact, I don't know when or exactly how it happened. Could have been from lifting or repeatedly having poor posture and lying in bed on my stomach using the laptop. I blew it off as just some minor back pain that I needed to get more exercise and stretching. Having pain just driving a car and pain from sneezing. The sneezing is a real tell tale sign of a disc herniation. Didn't even know what a disc herniation was honestly until long after this ordeal started. Just thought it was back pain due to neglecting stretching and core work. This started (estimation) last summer. Lately the pain has been flaring up more.

Originally Posted by tx_rican View Post
    Whats helped me the most is an inversion table. No herniated disc here though. I had a compression fracture in my L3 two novembers ago. I still get sore every now and then but i have zero pain.

If only i was sober enough to realize how stupid of an idea it was to jump off my friends second story apt building into a bush lol
    Haha. Glad to hear you're pain free and nothing more severe happened.

Originally Posted by mpavlo View Post
    Herniated my L5S1 in September 2012, entire left leg was pretty much cramped up and I could hardly walk, dat dere muscle spasms included. Couldn't walk for 2 months without limping and taking breaks from being in so much ****ing pain. Symptoms have gone away pretty much completely, just still some tightness but it usually clears up when I stretch and workout.

Here's my advice to you from what has worked for me and helped me get rid of the pains almost completely. Keep going with the core exercises and do them frequently. I also used the "clickheat" heating gel pad I borrowed from a friend of mine but you can order one from the site, they're worth the investment. (clickheat.com if you want to get one as well). I applied the heating gel dailly for half an hour, with the mini massage stimulant pads atttached to my lower back included, the ones where it sends a small electrical pulse to the sticky pads (mom's friend was a physio, lended it to my mom a while ago, the device was useful).

Stay safe brah.
    Thanks a ton for the input. How long did it take you to heal? And do you need to stretch much to keep the pain from reoccurring? This is what I talk about when I say, are you fully recovered. Meaning once the recovery stage is over, your can go on with your life without worrying about having to stretch out your back everyday etc. I mean I can live with doing that, but I just don't want to have to live a pain free life.

Originally Posted by ace_gauntlit View Post
    happened in 2006. I'd say i'm at 90% but never will be 100%
    90% is good, but when they say you are "healed" I was hoping it would be near 100%. To me that's "healed". Will rep all you guys when I can, on RC now.

lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50) lafinrat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had l5/s1 discetomy jul 2007 (8mm herniation). My back has never felt better. Find a good surgeon. Dont take any pain meds post op, or at least any strong ones. Most reherniations occur right after the surgery while the disc is "scarring over" or healing. And stay mobile but dont lift anything for a few weeks post op.

My brother had the same surgery on the same disc same side ironically. And his reherniated within a couple weeks. I think he was so doped up on pain meds that he overdid it and didnt even know.

FWIW, i have deadlifted in the mid 500's and squatted in the 400's on many occassions. With no more pain than to be expected from those types of lifts. I strongly believe that heavy weight training has been key to my new back. Also, i never touched a weight until 3+ years AFTER my back surgery. I think if i wouldve started weight training earlier in life, i never wouldve had back surgery. But who knows.
    May 11 BP - 200x1 :(
    Dec 11 BP PR - 300x1, goal 315x1 by 31 Jan 12
    Feb 12 BP PR - 315x1
    May 12 BP PR - 225x15x3, last set vid on youtube
    Oct 12 BP PR - 340x1, 177 bw, vid on youtube
    Feb 13 BP PR - 315x6!, true story
    Apr 13 BP PR - 355x1, paused, 186 bw, no vid :(

TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have dat der L5/S1 too. Along with the L4/L5. Turns out I have degenerative disc disease at 23.. Basically he told me I'm going to hurt it sometimes and to come get a ESI when I do. And to work on my core strength. And no more squat and DL.. Had my last real injury about 2 months ago now and found out all this. I'm still hurting from it pretty bad.
    Thunder up!

Originally Posted by lafinrat View Post
    I had l5/s1 discetomy jul 2007 (8mm herniation). My back has never felt better. Find a good surgeon. Dont take any pain meds post op, or at least any strong ones. Most reherniations occur right after the surgery while the disc is "scarring over" or healing. And stay mobile but dont lift anything for a few weeks post op.

My brother had the same surgery on the same disc same side ironically. And his reherniated within a couple weeks. I think he was so doped up on pain meds that he overdid it and didnt even know.

FWIW, i have deadlifted in the mid 500's and squatted in the 400's on many occassions. With no more pain than to be expected from those types of lifts. I strongly believe that heavy weight training has been key to my new back. Also, i never touched a weight until 3+ years AFTER my back surgery. I think if i wouldve started weight training earlier in life, i never wouldve had back surgery. But who knows.
    From what I've read, 90% of people with herniations don't need surgery. And surgery is only recommended for more extreme cases such as a person in excruciating pain or PT/Core work/weight loss doesn't work. I don't think mine is one of the ones who'd need surgery.

Just desperate to get this better cause (although my discomfort isn't that bad) I'd rather not deal with this crap my entire life.

Hopefully, in time, my back will never feel better just like yourself . But it's discouraging to see many say that they are dealing with this for years post-injury and have chronic pain. I guess every situation is different.

Originally Posted by TheThrill1 View Post
    I have dat der L5/S1 too. Along with the L4/L5. Turns out I have degenerative disc disease at 23.. Basically he told me I'm going to hurt it sometimes and to come get a ESI when I do. And to work on my core strength. And no more squat and DL.. Had my last real injury about 2 months ago now and found out all this. I'm still hurting from it pretty bad.
    Fuarrk. What did the doc say your long term prognosis is? Haven't done squats since the pain (couldn't for months) and will never do them or DL's again even if fully healed. For all I know, heavy Squats could have caused the herniation in the 1st place.

Reading stuff on the internet about people dealing with chronic back problems is terrifying and depressing. Past couple weeks, haven't even been lifting just focusing on core work and walking to help my back heal. Wayyy more important then lifting. GL to you brah
    Last edited by NorCalMike; 05-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TXBuddy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    L5 S1 rupture here.

I am 98% and will forever be. Self rehab with rack pulls, ab work etc..it took me about 11 months to get to 98%. I was crippled for at least the first 6.
    US Army 1998-2020

Army NG 1992-98

★Combat Veterans Crew★

Texas Tech Alumni '98 & '07

�Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.� ~ Aristotle

*Vasectomy crew

Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel with you L5/S1 brahs.

This stretch helps me out a lot.

I don't give a **** where i'm at Uni,work out at the bar if my back starts fuking up i'll find a clean spot on the ground and do these.

can also do them standing but don't as good a stretch. imo

well now what the fuk do I write hear?

(11/17/12) We Will Never Forget... Update 2018, I forgot.

Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clifford-James is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Squats and deadlifts all day back feels great. But sit down on a chair for too long or sleep the wrong way and i'm in of world of hurt.

so damn frustrating. And i don't even know how I hurt my back in the first place. WTF

Originally Posted by TXBuddy View Post
    L5 S1 rupture here.

I am 98% and will forever be. Self rehab with rack pulls, ab work etc..it took me about 11 months to get to 98%. I was crippled for at least the first 6.
    98% is legit. I can live with being 98% better. I'm doing self-rehab as well. Been walking 2-3 miles a day lately and doing some stretching/core work at least 1-2 a day. But I don't want to have to do this forever to prevent back pain reoccurence. What is your regimen now? Do you feel like you need to slef-rehab still or back problems will flare up again?

Originally Posted by Clifford-James View Post
    I feel with you L5/S1 brahs.

This stretch helps me out a lot.

I don't give a **** where i'm at Uni,work out at the bar if my back starts fuking up i'll find a clean spot on the ground and do these.

can also do them standing but don't as good a stretch. imo

I do the "superman" with both feet and arms stretched out. Really seems to help.

Originally Posted by Clifford-James View Post
    Squats and deadlifts all day back feels great. But sit down on a chair for too long or sleep the wrong way and i'm in of world of hurt.

so damn frustrating. And i don't even know how I hurt my back in the first place. WTF
    The good thing about this, is that it's *probably* not as serious of a herniation without the dramatic snap city where you know something went terribly wrong.

Same deal with the chair, fukking sucks. How long have you been dealing with this?

jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jackamo2887 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How the **** do you guys do ab work with the lower back pain?

I can't even bend over to tie my shoes without being in utter pain..nevermind doing a single crunch or situp.

What kind of core work do you guys with sciatica do? I can't even bend over..I am pretty sure I am just going to go for surgery soon.
    Survival. When the jungle tears itself down and builds itself into something new. Guys like you and me, we end up dead. Doesn’t really mean anything. Or, if we happen to live through it, well that doesn’t mean anything either.

Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexxander4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NorCalMike View Post
    I'm talking your back feels just like it did (or very close) prior to the herniation. And not having to do core exercises regularly to prevent pain from coming back. Basically can you go on with your life without being inconvenienced by your fukking back or it causing pain.

I feel and pray that this isn't something I'm gonna have to deal with the rest of my life. Please share your experience or knowledge guys. Thank you.
    how did you herniate your disc brah?

tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tickdickler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    L4-5 herniation crew checking in. Herniated it early August 2012. First two weeks I couldn't even drive. All I did was lie in bed and want to kill myself from the pain. Still couldn't walk properly or without pain next two months or so. Month three I started to see a physical therapist. Stretching out my hips and hammies helped out a **** ton. Stretching paired with core work really helped to alleviate the day to day pain I have from it. Currently I squat twice a week and deadlift once a week. Started deadlifting a few weeks ago so pretty new getting back into it. Day to day I still have pain but its completely manageable. It was irritating as all **** to deal with, but by now I've gotten used to it, well at least partially used to it. Stretching and core work are the two biggest things I suggest. Heart goes out to herniated disc brahs whose bad pain has stuck for multiple years.

98% is legit. I can live with being 98% better. I'm doing self-rehab as well. Been walking 2-3 miles a day lately and doing some stretching/core work at least 1-2 a day. But I don't want to have to do this forever to prevent back pain reoccurence. What is your regimen now? Do you feel like you need to slef-rehab still or back problems will flare up again?

I do the "superman" with both feet and arms stretched out. Really seems to help.

The good thing about this, is that it's *probably* not as serious of a herniation without the dramatic snap city where you know something went terribly wrong.

Same deal with the chair, fukking sucks. How long have you been dealing with this?

About five years.

I got an old video of my back cracking in the middle of deadlifting 425lbs from like 4 years ago. chit is crazy... let me find it.

ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ai3mac1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Herniated disc when I was 17. To this day I have back pain. Granted I didn't take care of it at all, but chit sucks

You're young and will heal fast they said...

Feelsbadman
    CS Major Crew
    Derrick Rose Crew
    Inked Crew

derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) derklet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My dad had a herniated disc when I was younger. I remember they tried giving him steroids but they only worked for a while. He finally got surgery and he's been fine ever since. He also had to go through physical therapy with lots of stretching but his back hasn't bothered him since! I'll pray for ya brah, goodluck

Originally Posted by jackamo2887 View Post

I can't even bend over to tie my shoes without being in utter pain..nevermind doing a single crunch or situp.

What kind of core work do you guys with sciatica do? I can't even bend over..I am pretty sure I am just going to go for surgery soon.
    I don't do ab work; trying to cut down (notice avi) and get a flatter stomach before I start incorporating that.

I do exercises on the carpet like the "superman" I described above and ones where I'm on both knees and lift my right arm and left leg then left arm and right leg. Look it up online, it's very common.

Also, use the gym balls and stretch out my back on that thing. Likely gonna buy one too. And I hear a lot of people use them as seats as it strengthens your core.

check this chit out.

skip to :37

Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Icpowell has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jackamo2887 View Post

I'm in the same boat as you
    Starting Stats: 6'3, 152lbs
    IG: https://instagram.com/chrpowell/

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not sure if this qualifies but my dad's back is pretty messed up. They had to clean out one of his vertebrae and the remove part of his hip bone to create a new vertebrae. He is now in constant pain even with a neurostimulator installed. A normal man would be driven to suicide with the amount of pain he's in
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheThrill1 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Fuarrk. What did the doc say your long term prognosis is? Haven't done squats since the pain (couldn't for months) and will never do them or DL's again even if fully healed. For all I know, heavy Squats could have caused the herniation in the 1st place.

Reading stuff on the internet about people dealing with chronic back problems is terrifying and depressing. Past couple weeks, haven't even been lifting just focusing on core work and walking to help my back heal. Wayyy more important then lifting. GL to you brah
    He basically said it is going to hurt. But it isn't herniating enough to hit the nerves to hurt me really bad or mess with my legs so he really doesn't want to do surgery at all. Only ill effect besides the actual back pain is I feel like I've been kicked in the balls about 5 minutes ago all day err day for the past 2 months. He said this week I can start back to working out but I really need to work on core strength before anything else. He just straight told me not to do squat or DL, and I agree I don't want to risk that. Right now I'm on some steroids and non narcotic pain killers for the pain.

I'm still in the process on finding out about it. He says it should stop hurting almost completely in another month or two. I guess we will see!
    Thunder up!

DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) DigitalSmoke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i herniated 2 disc in my back back in HS(08). id say im 96% recovered now. but i still do get pain evrey now and then. core work will make your life so much easier. also realize that super heavy deadlifts/squats are not necessary to being in really good shape/looking good.

edit: core work and flexibility (yoga..etc) are the key to solving your back pain (serious). it might hurt a lot at first but once u really develope and condition your self its much better.

Originally Posted by Alexxander4 View Post
    how did you herniate your disc brah?
    Not even sure. I *believe* it was mostly caused by repeatedly bad posture and little cardio and core exercise. Basically if I was at home on my laptop, instead of sitting in a chair, I'd lie on my stomach on the bed. So fukking stupid looking back.

Could have also been cause by from squatting and I know I've used terrible form going heavy on lat pulldowns and possibly tweaked by back. All I know for sure is that my core was weak and countless hours of bad posture could have been what did it.

Originally Posted by tickdickler View Post
    L4-5 herniation crew checking in. Herniated it early August 2012. First two weeks I couldn't even drive. All I did was lie in bed and want to kill myself from the pain. Still couldn't walk properly or without pain next two months or so. Month three I started to see a physical therapist. Stretching out my hips and hammies helped out a **** ton. Stretching paired with core work really helped to alleviate the day to day pain I have from it. Currently I squat twice a week and deadlift once a week. Started deadlifting a few weeks ago so pretty new getting back into it. Day to day I still have pain but its completely manageable. It was irritating as all **** to deal with, but by now I've gotten used to it, well at least partially used to it. Stretching and core work are the two biggest things I suggest. Heart goes out to herniated disc brahs whose bad pain has stuck for multiple years.
    amen