themre is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New female weightlifter lower back pain

Hi, I recently started weightlifting and am on the AllPro program now. Since I own some equipment and work out at home my wife got interested in weightlifting after watching me and got even more motivated after reading about the benefits of bodybuilding for women. Since the AllPro program is advised in the forum for female weightlifters aswell we decided to do the program together and work out at the same time.

The issue is that my wife (26) suffers from some lower back pain since puberty. Specially in the beginning of her menstruation she gets heavy back pain wich expends through her hips.

These days (before she started to work out) she randomly gets heavy lower back pain (specially at beginning of menstruation) some days or medium lower back pain and some days she gets no pain at all. The back pain comes with pain in her right leg (pain in her right leg began couple years ago). She got used to the pain by now and just takes a rest if it's hurting too much.

Now after she started working out couple days she had some little lower back pain Wich didn't stopped her from continuing her workout. Today while doing the bent over barbell row she got heavy pain and had to stop the exercise and couldn't finish the workout properly. She said she had no pain while doing squats or military presses aswell I changed sldl for rdl because I red it's lighter on the back. So now after the workout she still got lower back pain and pain in her right leg.

I would like to know if it's ok to continue the workout routine with lower weight in the exercises wich make pain and if the problem is going to get better over time since I red that strengthening the lower back muscles is a good way to get rid of the pain?

Or do I need to alternate the AllPro exercises (till now only bent over rows made her hurt for once today, she did bent over rows before with no pain) ?

I posted this in the female bodybuilding forum because maybe there are some women here so experienced similar stuff.

My wife don't uses the internet much but if you need more information I will ask and reply for her.

Thank you for you help forwardly!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by themre View Post
    Today while doing the bent over barbell row she got heavy pain and had to stop the exercise and couldn't finish the workout properly. She said she had no pain while doing squats or military presses aswell I changed sldl for rdl because I red it's lighter on the back. .....

I would like to know if it's ok to continue the workout routine with lower weight in the exercises wich make pain and if the problem is going to get better over time since I red that strengthening the lower back muscles is a good way to get rid of the pain?

Or do I need to alternate the AllPro exercises (till now only bent over rows made her hurt for once today, she did bent over rows before with no pain) ?
    Hard to predict how your wife's back pain will be affected or improve, since it sounds like an underlying issue having nothing to do w/ weightlifting. Def get a doctor's or other professional's advice on the impact of any weightlifting routine on that issue.

Since she already has that back issue, you should consider substituting exercises since if she goes lower on weights she likely will experience the pain again eventually as she progresses.

- A chest supported row is a good substitute for BORs which will take pressure off the lower back. If at home, this prob would need to be on an incline bench w/ barbell or dbs. If you have a cable machine she could try seated rows, although she should be careful at the beginning and end when pulling the weight off and putting the weight back onto the stack.

- Not ideal at all since you lose a lot of benefits, but if RDLs bother her she could substitute face down lying leg curls if you have that extra for your bench.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See a medical professional doctor,chiropractor or physical therapist and get some answers for the low back issue and ask if weight training is ok?
    You may also want to take some sessions in with a qualified training to make sure your technique is sound on exercises.
    Asking here without any visual of your wife lifting or without a medical check up is just speculating on what to do.

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by themre View Post
    Hi, I recently started weightlifting and am on the AllPro program now. Since I own some equipment and work out at home my wife got interested in weightlifting after watching me and got even more motivated after reading about the benefits of bodybuilding for women. Since the AllPro program is advised in the forum for female weightlifters aswell we decided to do the program together and work out at the same time.

The issue is that my wife (26) suffers from some lower back pain since puberty. Specially in the beginning of her menstruation she gets heavy back pain wich expends through her hips.

These days (before she started to work out) she randomly gets heavy lower back pain (specially at beginning of menstruation) some days or medium lower back pain and some days she gets no pain at all. The back pain comes with pain in her right leg (pain in her right leg began couple years ago). She got used to the pain by now and just takes a rest if it's hurting too much.

Now after she started working out couple days she had some little lower back pain Wich didn't stopped her from continuing her workout. Today while doing the bent over barbell row she got heavy pain and had to stop the exercise and couldn't finish the workout properly. She said she had no pain while doing squats or military presses aswell I changed sldl for rdl because I red it's lighter on the back. So now after the workout she still got lower back pain and pain in her right leg.

I posted this in the female bodybuilding forum because maybe there are some women here so experienced similar stuff.

My wife don't uses the internet much but if you need more information I will ask and reply for her.

Thank you for you help forwardly!
    I would suggest seeing her doctor because it could be a bulging disc or sciatic nerve issue. Could be any number of things, though.

I have had sciatic nerve issues since I fell down some stairs during my first pregnancy. I do occasionally get some lower back pain, as a result. I've been doing lower back stretches (lots of physical therapy YouTube videos to follow, for great stretches, including some yoga) but I have had Xrays and scans to be sure it's not something else.

First thing would be to see her doctor because she doesn't want to damage something if it's a medical problem.

themre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok reading the responses I think we should definitely get her back scanned in the near future. She says the pain is on the right side of her spine expending through her leg and not in the spine itself so that's a good sign I guess.

The incline bent over row won't work on my bench but I thought replacing the rows with one arm dumbbell bent over rows since I red they're better for ppl with low back issues.

She has no problems doing rdls so far and she don't want to swap them with face down leg curls because rdls work the glute muscles aswell.

Tomorrow is the next training session since I wrote this thread we will try and if there should be an issue again we may stop workout completely till seeing a doctor.

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That sounds like a sciatic issue (one side and pain going down one leg). I get that and have upped my stretch game (but I've had a nuclear bone scan and a CT scan to rule out health issues). She really needs to make sure it's nothing else so definitely ought to get to a doctor.
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you