lyshyloo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

18yr old female needing help with keto

Hey,

I’m 18 and weigh 63kg and want to get to 55kg, I’m 165cm tall

Seen a lot of keto diets around but don’t know what’s best for me, I just want something basic like, any meat, cheese and broccoli or something, thanks

TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheHaws is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Welcome to the forums.

First thing to know, Keto isn't magic, and it most likely won't help you lose fat/weight any quicker than other diets. The most important thing is maintaining a caloric deficit.

I have been keto since April, the reason I go keto is to control my appetite, eating high fats helps with satiation. The dangerous part on keto is you really can't cheat, or else you can see the water weight and inflammation the next day come back. If you are committed to 0-20g of carbs a day, keto is a great vehicle to get to your goal as long as it is sustainable for you.

Meats (You typically want fattier cuts of meat, if you choose lean meat make sure to get your fats from oils or cheese).
    - Chicken drums/thighs
    - Fatty cuts of beef
    - Salmon (one of the best proteins and omega 3)

Cheese
    With cheese you just need to stay away from Gouda and Brie, the rest is fair game given that it isn't overly processed.

Veggies
    Stay away from starchy veggies, carrots and all types of beans.

Oils
    -Olive Oil (extra virgin)
    -Coconut Oil (unrefined)

So if you feel that hunger is a problem for you, keto might be a good option. Otherwise, it is just restricting carbs for very little benefit over tracking calories on a normal meal plan. Just remember if you do go Keto, you have to be sure that you are getting a good portion of your calories from fats.
    <Overly Friendly Canadian Crew>
    Some people die at 25 and aren't buried until 75. - Benjamin Franklin

Registered User WarriorDietKing's Avatar
    WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WarriorDietKing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi, what's wrong with gouda cheese. I thought it was a good type of cheese for keto diets

Originally Posted by TheHaws View Post
    Cheese
    With cheese you just need to stay away from Gouda and Brie, the rest is fair game given that it isn't overly processed.

GravelMn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are some good lists of keto-friendly foods available. If you are like most people, you are going to want some variety or you are going to get bored very quickly. Variety is also good from a nutritional standpoint. Here is a short list (my opinions so take it for what it's worth) to get you going:

Meats, poultry, fish: Any kind that is not highly processed (you can eat sausage, etc. just make sure it doesn't have carb-based fillers or sugar and some people like to avoid nitrates). Some people, like myself, prefer low or moderately fatty portions and augment it with plant oils (coming next). Beware, imitation crab and some other products can have a lot of hidden carbs. Protein supplements, such as whey, are useful ingredients but try to get the majority of your proteins from whole foods.

Fats: Avoid trans-fat. IMHO, animal fat in moderation (including whole dairy, butter, cream, cheese) augmented with plant oils like olive, peanut, walnut, almond, avocado or canola provides a good balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 as well as saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Walnuts and almonds make good snacks but watch the carbs. Unsweetened peanut and almond butter are also good but with the same caveat as whole nuts.

Vegetables: Any non-starchy vegetable. Some of my favorites include peppers (all varieties), onion (has some natural sugar but you would have to eat a lot of onions to kick you out of ketosis), broccoli and cauliflower, snow peas in the pod, summer squash and zucchini, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots (Asian twist), alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, chard, lettuce, cabbage, bok choi, leeks, mustard greens etc.

Fruits: Limited amounts of berries, citrus zest (the outer part of the skin, grated for flavoring).

I use fresh or dried herbs and spices to prevent meals from becoming too bland. You would have to use a lot of them to make a significant impact to your carb count.

Avoid foods that are fake or modified to prevent absorption of carbs (some "low carb" pastas) as they only keep you craving carbs and can cause digestive issues.

When you start keto, expect cravings and the "keto flu". Keto flu is not an actual disease, but a feeling of malaise and associated symptoms that come on as your body adjusts from burning carbs to burning fats. It usually comes on after a couple of days and gets better by the second week or so. Cravings will diminish and most people are surprised at the lack of hunger. Many have to remind themselves to eat. Even on keto, calories do still count, but don't restrict calories below your BMR + about 10%. Some people integrate intermittent fasting into their keto program, but I wouldn't recommend it until your body is well keto adapted.