Beefstraw is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fierce 5 Body Failing Me- Need Help Progressing

Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I've been working out on and off for around 2 years and am still stuck in my novice lifter stage. During that time, I've made every mistake in the book: not squatting to depth, not resetting my weight, bulking too fast, not using proper form on my lifts, not tracking calories accurately, etc. So even though I have been doing Fierce 5 for about a year and a half, I can't say I was following the program correctly until a few months ago

Currently 22 years old and 162 lbs. I've been eating 2700 calories a day, which I think is working pretty well since my scale is going up and I started at 157 lbs 5 weeks ago. I started Fierce 5 again after a layoff from travelling. This time, I'm making sure to do everything perfectly. After 5 weeks, my weights have gone up as follows for reps:

Squat: 175 -> 205
    Bench: 145 ->165
    OHP: 95 -> 110
    Romanian DL: 115 -> 145
    Front Squat: 115 -> 145
    Pendlay: 105 ->120

I started out low for front squats and RDLs to work on form, since I had previously done normal deadlifts and paused back squats instead.

The problem is that I always get stuck on these numbers. I have followed the reset protocol before but am never able to push past these weights when I work my way up again.

What's more: when I do start getting close to these numbers, I notice pain in my joints. Notably my knees and back. I notice the pain mostly when I'm not working out (ie. at home or at work) with an aching in my knees and low back. I think the back has to do with me breaking form at heavier weights (hyperextending my back during OHP, not staying neutral on Pendlay rows

Recently, I think I really aggravated the top of my right knee while doing front squats. I tried testing my ROM a few days later and noticed that once I hit a certain depth, my knee gets aggravated. My knees don't really cave in when I squat, so I'm thinking that this is the result of too much forward knee travel and leaning too far forward in my squats. In any case, I'm not able to high bar squat or front squat with full ROM without feeling something. I did try low bar squatting by sitting back and breaking with the hips first and that didn't seem to give my knees any problems.

Apologies for the long post; just thought I'd give as much detail as possible. In summary, I'd appreciate any and all suggestions on:
    1. What can I do to actual break past these numbers that I always get stuck at even after resetting? This is my fourth time in all of my previous 3x5 attempts that I've gotten stuck here. No matter what I do (working on my form, being in a surplus), I still remain weak!

2. What are some reasons why my knees are killing me whenever I get to heavier weight. Clearly squat form but what in my form is likely causing the problem?

Thanks again guys and let me know if there's any additional info you need

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1. You may have started heavier than you should have on all the lifts.

Squat: 175 -> 205 - should have started around 135 lbs
    Bench: 145 ->165 - should have started maybe around 100 lbs
    OHP: 95 -> 110 - started at 45 would have been a better start
    Romanian DL: 115 -> 145 - start with 100 lbs
    Front Squat: 115 -> 145 - start with 100 lbs
    Pendlay: 105 ->120 - should have started with 45 - 60 lbs

Had you started lighter than you did, you would have had more weeks of getting your form down and your numbers would have looked better as well.

2. Post a video of your squat form...from the side is preferred, but to see what your knees are doing..also from the front.
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Thanks for the advice on starting out w a lighter weight. I'm guessing I should reduce the load to those weights and start from scratch to really perfect form?

As for the form check on squats, I'll be returning to the gym tomorrow so I'll make sure to upload from the side and front what my squat looks like

Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's up to you on whether you want to do a complete restart. I was just suggesting you would have gained more in experience and time under the bar if you had started lighter.

Me, when I start new programs, I always start lighter than normal and judge from there on how much to jump my weights up.....

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Having trouble uploading links to my form check videos. I think I need 50 posts to post links. Can I message someone so they can post the links on this thread for ppl to critique? Or is there another way?

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Beefstraw View Post
    Having trouble uploading links to my form check videos. I think I need 50 posts to post links. Can I message someone so they can post the links on this thread for ppl to critique? Or is there another way?
    You can just post the link but put a few spaces inbetween, that way it doesn't get pasted as a link.

For example, if its 'imgur.com/####' change it to 'im gur.co m/####" and it should let you post that.
    Some lifting stuff (IG) - @rsid_97

My Growth Stimulus Training journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175699161

TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100)
    Linear progression dosnt work for a lot of people after some time. You could Switch to a program with concurrent periodization.
    Maybe 5/3/1

Originally Posted by rsid97 View Post
    You can just post the link but put a few spaces inbetween, that way it doesn't get pasted as a link.

For example, if its 'imgur.com/####' change it to 'im gur.co m/####" and it should let you post that.
    Thanks for the tip! Put spaces in between my links so hopefully they work now. The spaces are between "you" and "tube" and between "co" and "m."

As requested, here are some form videos for my squat. I took a few to give you reference.

Squat from the side with just the bar: you tube.co m/watch?v=ujlczblSciY

Squat from the front with just the bar: you tube.co m/watch?v=CoZOpai2I6Q

Squat from the side with weight: you tube.co m/watch?v=WtRE6u_2Qh0

Squat from front with weight: you tube.co m/watch?v=nOvvc9P6ero

Low Bar Squat from the side with weight*: you tube.co m/watch?v=Tr0NTLeubxA

*Note: for low bar, I didn't do much weight(just 135) because I'm still a bit unsure on form. I generally high bar squat but thought I'd stick in a low bar squat for reference. Low bar doesn't feel so good on my lower back tbh.

Oddly enough, knee didn't feel too bad, so I was able to come close to my working set for the videos. Might be because I've been taking some ibuprofen in the mornings and evenings lately.

Also, I've taken some vids of my bench if you want to critique that as well. Didn't bench with that much weight. Just 135, which I reset to after failing twice at my previous working weight.

Bench with just the bar: you tube.co m/watch?v=eVGNoVeRusw

Bench with weight: you tube.co m/watch?v=T-JwgAjwOpQ

Bench with weight (the camera's just a bit closer for this one):you tube.co m/watch?v=K9AGJoyJJS0

Thanks again for your help. I'd appreciate any and all feedback

Originally Posted by TopHeavyMirin View Post
    Linear progression dosnt work for a lot of people after some time. You could Switch to a program with concurrent periodization.
    Maybe 5/3/1
    5/3/1 is an intermediate program right? That is something worth considering. I thought about switching to an intermediate program, especially since I've stalled at the same weight before a few times.

But at the same time, I think I'm still classified as a novice (especially given how low my lifts are and how little they've improved from where I've started). Ideally, I'd still be able to stick to a beginner program since that will allow me to progress faster week to week.

Would the right move be to stick with Fierce 5, since I've reset most of my lifts by 15% anyway and then see if I can break my stalled numbers? If not, look into switching to an intermediate program like 5/3/1?

Originally Posted by TopHeavyMirin View Post
    Maybe 5/3/1
    5 weeks isn't enough time to really make that call either. Not when you start to heavy in the first place...come on now...read the post...lol

Can someone do a form check on my squats? I posted it above but think it might have been overlooked. Here they are again. Put spaces in between my links so hopefully they work now. The spaces are between "you" and "tube" and between "co" and "m."

Squat from the side with just the bar: you tube.co m/watch?v=ujlczblSciY

Squat from the front with just the bar: you tube.co m/watch?v=CoZOpai2I6Q

Squat from the side with weight: you tube.co m/watch?v=WtRE6u_2Qh0

Squat from front with weight: you tube.co m/watch?v=nOvvc9P6ero

Low Bar Squat from the side with weight*: you tube.co m/watch?v=Tr0NTLeubxA

*Note: for low bar, I didn't do much weight(just 135) because I'm still a bit unsure on form. I generally high bar squat but thought I'd stick in a low bar squat for reference. Low bar doesn't feel so good on my lower back tbh.

Also if you want to form check bench:

Bench with just the bar: you tube.co m/watch?v=eVGNoVeRusw

Bench with weight: you tube.co m/watch?v=T-JwgAjwOpQ

Bench with weight (the camera's just a bit closer for this one):you tube.co m/watch?v=K9AGJoyJJS0

Thanks in advance for the feedback

TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100) TopHeavyMirin is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Squid24 View Post
    5 weeks isn't enough time to really make that call either. Not when you start to heavy in the first place...come on now...read the post...lol
    Oh your right i didnt see that. Yeah i would say give the program more time to settle before immediatly saying it has stalled.