EagleFace is on a distinguished road. (+10)

N00b level for 5x5

Hello,

For context, I have been lifting for about a year, but I think my squat form could use some practice. I was on the 5/3/1 for about 6 months and decided to take a break and go back to the basics because it was doing a number on my lower back (which I already had to have surgery on l4/l5 a few years ago for a herniated disk).

I think the 5x5 could be a good program to learn my main lifts properly, but I'm wondering how much of a n00b you actually have to be to be on that program (i.e., is it too much of a step back for me?).

At this point I'm pretty weak tbh, mostly because I'm going extremely gradually not to wreck my back. My numbers are as follows:

-Man, 34 y/o
    -5'10", 168 lbs

Squat: 185
    DL: 225
    Bench: 165
    Press: 110

Basically I'm wondering if going back to the basics and doing the 5x5 for about 3 months would potentially be a good move for me in the long run...

Your advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "5x5" is a rep scheme not a specific program. Exactly which program are you considering?

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    "5x5" is a rep scheme not a specific program. Exactly which program are you considering?
    My bad!
    Stronglifts

So

A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5

B
    Squat 5x5
    Soulder Press 5x5
    DL 1x5

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO yes it will be a great move.

I sometimes drop back into StrongLifts in order to increase my strength numbers and utilise it during a cut.

You can also add to the template in time if you want to do more specific exercises for other body parts as explained here by Mehdi himself:-

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Assistance_Work

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    IMO yes it will be a great move.

I sometimes drop back into StrongLifts in order to increase my strength numbers and utilise it during a cut.

You can also add to the template in time if you want to do more specific exercises for other body parts as explained here by Mehdi himself:-
    sounds good.
    I'll get on that, see how it works out for me, and just keep on it until for a few months or until I stop making progress.

Thanks for your response!