Thread: Bulk or cut

SShaw01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bulk or cut

I’m 5’9’’, 149lbs. And ~22% bf. Don’t know whether I should cut down more until I get under 20% bf or if I should bulk because I don’t have a lot of muscle mass. Hesitant to bulk though, due to bf. Any answers would help!

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SShaw01 View Post
    I’m 5’9’’, 149lbs. And ~22% bf. Don’t know whether I should cut down more until I get under 20% bf or if I should bulk because I don’t have a lot of muscle mass. Hesitant to bulk though, due to bf. Any answers would help!
    My advice is usually the same for "skinny fat" - IMO it's better to get lean first before focusing on bulking up...because if you start bulking when you're already 20%+ you're going to end up with a lot of extra fat to lose down the line...start following a lifting routine while cutting, and as a newb you should still be able to make strength gains for a while. Once you're decently lean, sub 15%, you can start eating more and focusing on strength/muscle gains.

Also - another benefit of this route is that it takes much less time to lose some fat than it does to gain some muscle, so it's a quicker way to improve your looks/confidence than bulking and adding more fat. My $.02.

smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    My advice is usually the same for "skinny fat" - IMO it's better to get lean first before focusing on bulking up...because if you start bulking when you're already 20%+ you're going to end up with a lot of extra fat to lose down the line...start following a lifting routine while cutting, and as a newb you should still be able to make strength gains for a while. Once you're decently lean, sub 15%, you can start eating more and focusing on strength/muscle gains.

Also - another benefit of this route is that it takes much less time to lose some fat than it does to gain some muscle, so it's a quicker way to improve your looks/confidence than bulking and adding more fat. My $.02.
    This is spot on OP^^^
    I know you will end up very thin if you cut fat without a lot of muscle mass but it will be tough and demotivating to try and lose fat at 30%
    And as sunsean said, if you get lean, at least you will see some progress, see some cuts and that will motivate you even more.

Either way is a long, tough road but you have to want it and you have to make it a way of life.
    Don't let fitness/training rule your life but do make the time to fit it comfortably into your life.

Good luck man
    Make it happen!
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card

SShaw01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    This is spot on OP^^^
    I know you will end up very thin if you cut fat without a lot of muscle mass but it will be tough and demotivating to try and lose fat at 30%
    And as sunsean said, if you get lean, at least you will see some progress, see some cuts and that will motivate you even more.

Either way is a long, tough road but you have to want it and you have to make it a way of life.
    Don't let fitness/training rule your life but do make the time to fit it comfortably into your life.

Good luck man
    Make it happen!
    Do you recommend creatine during my initial cut? Or should I wait until my first bulk? Started my cut about 153(24%) and down to 148 3 and a half weeks in(21%bf). Very consistent with my routine and heard creatine could be beneficial on a cut, but don’t know whether I should wait until bulk or start now?

smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SShaw01 View Post
    Do you recommend creatine during my initial cut? Or should I wait until my first bulk? Started my cut about 153(24%) and down to 148 3 and a half weeks in(21%bf). Very consistent with my routine and heard creatine could be beneficial on a cut, but don’t know whether I should wait until bulk or start now?
    I've been on 5g creatine, every day, for the last 20 yrs or so lol
    You may gain a lb or 2 initially but then it all just figures in.
    I'd jump right in
    Don't overthink creatine either; 5g every day, any time of day, in any liquid. It's a saturation-type supp so as long as you get it in you, you keep your levels elevated.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card