Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Supinating with dumbbell curls hurt my wrist

Does anyone else experience this? I read that supinating the wrist, turning the pinky outwards help increase the bicep gains/peaks.
    However i find my wrists acting up a lot after training them, right at the wrist bone that sticks out.
    Should i just stick to regular barbell curls and when doing seated incline curls, not emphasize on the supination part?

It could also be that my wrists are simply weak. I'll have to train them more.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If it hurts your wrists, don't do the little turn. You can still give your biceps a really good squeeze at the top w/out doing the pinky turn.

You may also want to switch to EZ bar for barbell curls if your wrists are already bothering you.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If it hurts your wrists, don't do the little turn. You can still give your biceps a really good squeeze at the top w/out doing the pinky turn.

You may also want to switch to EZ bar for barbell curls if your wrists are already bothering you.
    Yeah i think this is what i'll do. I always squeeze at the top, but it's that extra outward turn that hurts my wrist. I'll stop doing it and see if my wrist heals.
    Thanks for always giving great advice!
    Cobra Kai never dies!

TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000)
    This happened to me too. I stopped doing supinated curls immediately. Switched the straight incline curls , and ez bar curls. My biceps have continued to grow really well. I don't think you need the supination that much

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    Does anyone else experience this? I read that supinating the wrist, turning the pinky outwards help increase the bicep gains/peaks.
    However i find my wrists acting up a lot after training them, right at the wrist bone that sticks out.
    Should i just stick to regular barbell curls and when doing seated incline curls, not emphasize on the supination part?

It could also be that my wrists are simply weak. I'll have to train them more.
    It might be the result of your pronator teres muscle being very tight. Sometimes the tightness can cause bicep tendonitis. But, it can also cause what you are experiencing. Check out this video. It goes over how to loosen it.

https://youtu.be/LWSbrsBtpKU
    2007 Lightweight Masters National Champ

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You have to understand that the little twist/extreme supination is the very end of ROM, so it is common to have issues.

I suggest not doing that because it does not really gives much IMO (few millimeters of ROM, think about it) and if it is painful - more so to ditch that.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unless you are training for a bodybuilding competition or for some reason unable to do many compound barbell exercises, I would suggest you just stop curling altogether. I did bicep/wrist curls for years, many different variations. Different variations on dumbbell, barbell, straight bar, ez bar, pulleys, rubber bands, you name it. I found no matter the variation, I would slowly mess up my wrist and forearm and even had severe tendonitis develop in my left distal bicep tendon years ago that remains to some degree to this day. I found I didn't even need to do these exercises, I stopped and my bicep/forearms have continued to grow. Not only that, but all my bicep, forearm, and wrist issues have nearly vanished.