harryggz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Not losing weight... but slimming down?

Age 22, Current weight 270lbs, height 6,1 Started to very seriously go to the gym in order to lose weight and get back to my high school weight. I have been working out 1 hour a day every evening for the past 2 weeks (30mins high-intensity cardio and 30 mins of lifting) as well as tracking my food intake to around 1800 calories per day (still normal foods). I started at 265 lbs 2 weeks ago and checked my weight last night I gained 5 pounds after all that effort, However, I have really slimmed down in that period of time and saw great non-scale gains (including doing down a shirt size and a notch on my belt). I am confused as to how I'm building lean muscle mass faster then I am losing fat. At my weight should I not be losing a lot of weight?

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by harryggz View Post
    Age 22, Current weight 270lbs, height 6,1 Started to very seriously go to the gym in order to lose weight and get back to my high school weight. I have been working out 1 hour a day every evening for the past 2 weeks (30mins high-intensity cardio and 30 mins of lifting) as well as tracking my food intake to around 1800 calories per day (still normal foods). I started at 265 lbs 2 weeks ago and checked my weight last night I gained 5 pounds after all that effort, However, I have really slimmed down in that period of time and saw great non-scale gains (including doing down a shirt size and a notch on my belt). I am confused as to how I'm building lean muscle mass faster then I am losing fat. At my weight should I not be losing a lot of weight?
    Plenty plenty plenty of factors that could play into this. Water retention from increased exercise, inflammation etc etc etc. Give it nother week or so and you should start seeing the scale weight start dropping if you are indeed in a deficit. Mirror progress, waist measurements, gym progress should always be valued over scale weight. It can become murky and just end up frustrating you.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

harryggz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks, ill keep it up and weigh in again next week