aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

[Video] Deadlift form check. My Lats hurt

Hello,
    I am uploading a video of me deadlifting:
    streamable[DOT]com/a5s2k

Problem: The past few weeks, when I deadlift I am feeling a lot of pain in my lats. The pain and soreness are at the middle of the back, right beside the spine all the way to the side of the back. After deadlift, I feel like my lats are really stiff and become sore afterward. It also hinders me from deadlifting more. I asked someone to take a video of me deadlifting so I can get a form check. I was deadlifting at 245 lbs when my lats started hurting. In this video, I am deadlifting at 185 lbs because the lats were already sore. I am assuming my form at 245 lbs should be much worse than what it is in this video.

My Analysis: I feel like my back is still not straight enough for deadlifting but this is really as straight as I can get my back at the moment. It used to be much worse and took some practice to get my back straight. I am not very flexible. Maybe I need to stretch more?

Further Information: I am on a calorie deficit so I usually don't have much energy at the gym. Could that be the reason for my tensed and sore lats? I also feel my lats get worked up when I do barbell rowing so I am thinking it has something to do with me not being able to keep my back straight. The soreness/pain during rowing is not that much so I was ignoring it until now.

Thank you.

Update: After getting some feedback, here's my updated video of deadlifting with 135 lbs:
    streamable[DOT]com/93vdb

The concentration was on externally rotating shoulders/pushing out the upper chest first and then setting the lower back straight before pushing the weight up. Please advise what I need to fix in this too.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by aniqueakhtar; 09-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.

blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000)
    To be brutally honest with you, I think it's... really bad. There's way too many mistakes going on from beginning to the end. I think your best option is to restart and learn from scratch before you continue any further.

1. You're not even pulling the slack out and loading the weight to your legs and putting pressure to your feet
    2. Your hips are shooting up
    3. Knees are not pushing out, doesn't look like there's any external rotation on the hips, locking out the knees too early
    4. You're basically doing good mornings or stiff leg deadlifts with your lumbar spine in flexion
    5. Your shoulders are rounded forward and it doesn't look like you're packing your lats back and down either when you initiate each rep
    6. The barbell isn't touching your legs majority of the time, meaning you're most likely not pulling the barbell to yourself
    7. I'm not even sure if you're actually resetting your air and bracing at all

A list of things you can research on to start off and to become at deadlifting better is:

1. Hip scour
    2. Hip hinge
    3. Pulling out the slack
    4. Doing cat-cows from yoga will help you to better feel when your lumbar spine is in extension and flexion, and where neutral/flat back is
    5. Learning the cue of "bending the bar" and incorporating thoracic spine extension will help with a lot of back exercises, as well as how to activate your lats for low bar squats, deadlifts, and bench press.
    6. Learning how to properly do Leg press on machine will also help with deadlifting.
    7. There are many deadlift tutorials you can watch on youtube to help you learn and become better, so just keep researching and learning

About your back flexibility, it might be tight muscles or it might be other things like your spine is out of alignment. You could first try to use a foam roller or massage roller stick with a stand and roll out the muscles on your back, and roll out your entire body, if there's a foot roller, roll out the bottom of your feet as well for 2 to 3 weeks and see if you get any better. If it still doesn't work, I suggest finding a good chiropractor for help.

aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by blazy4lyfe View Post
    To be brutally honest with you, I think it's... really bad. There's way too many mistakes going on from beginning to the end. I think your best option is to restart and learn from scratch before you continue any further.

1. You're not even pulling the slack out and loading the weight to your legs and putting pressure to your feet
    2. Your hips are shooting up
    3. Knees are not pushing out, doesn't look like there's any external rotation on the hips, locking out the knees too early
    4. You're basically doing good mornings or stiff leg deadlifts with your lumbar spine in flexion
    5. Your shoulders are rounded forward and it doesn't look like you're packing your lats back and down either when you initiate each rep
    6. The barbell isn't touching your legs majority of the time, meaning you're most likely not pulling the barbell to yourself
    7. I'm not even sure if you're actually resetting your air and bracing at all

A list of things you can research on to start off and to become at deadlifting better is:

1. Hip scour
    2. Hip hinge
    3. Pulling out the slack
    4. Doing cat-cows from yoga will help you to better feel when your lumbar spine is in extension and flexion, and where neutral/flat back is
    5. Learning the cue of "bending the bar" and incorporating thoracic spine extension will help with a lot of back exercises, as well as how to activate your lats for low bar squats, deadlifts, and bench press.
    6. Learning how to properly do Leg press on machine will also help with deadlifting.
    7. There are many deadlift tutorials you can watch on youtube to help you learn and become better, so just keep researching and learning

About your back flexibility, it might be tight muscles or it might be other things like your spine is out of alignment. You could first try to use a foam roller or massage roller stick with a stand and roll out the muscles on your back, and roll out your entire body, if there's a foot roller, roll out the bottom of your feet as well for 2 to 3 weeks and see if you get any better. If it still doesn't work, I suggest finding a good chiropractor for help.
    Thanks for the comment.
    I read your comment, and then reread it, and then reread it couple of more times and I don't think I completely understand all the things you were trying to say. So I went to the gym and tried practicing by setting my back. The concentration was on externally rotating shoulders/pushing out the upper chest first and then setting the lower back straight before pushing the weight up. I have created a new video of it with 135 lbs. Please have a look and let me know what other things I need to work on:
    streamable[DOT]com/93vdb

Thank you

Bump. Any update please.

Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000) Benjo87 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    How do I view the link??
    Working my way out of the red.

Originally Posted by Benjo87 View Post
    How do I view the link??
    You just remove the [DOT] and replace it with an actual '.' (dot)
    Like:
    streamable[DOT]com/93vdb
    would become:
    streamable .com/93vdb
    without the spaces.

PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your back is incredibly loose. You are relaxing on the decent and round your back at the bottom between every rep. Tighten that core, keep your chest big throughout. At your age and size that is very little weight so you could really hurt yourself if you dont fix that before adding weight. I don't see what Is hurting your lat unless the you are dropping the weight at the top and catching it mid decent.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman