lukas121 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I SUCK! is my plan reasonable?

Weight: 180 lbs / 82 kg

Height: 5'11 or 6' I'm not sure, 182 cm to be precise.

As you can see I am the typical skinny fat and I hate it. Even though I am by no means "fat", I still carry a lot of fat, especially in my face, which I detest. According to my esteems I should be between 25-29% of body fat. Do you agree?

My goal is primarily to lose fat. Muscles are important but they are secondary to me, a skinny man still looks better in the face than a skinny fat one with some muscles. I do have some muscles now (nothing outstanding but still more than the non lifters) and I would gladly trade my body with a skinny guy, I hate how decadent my body looks. I would love to reach 10% body fat and to see my abs again after years.

According to the vary calculators my caloric needs should be between 2100 to 2400 kcals per day.

My plan is to eat 1600 kcal everyday, of which 140 proteins, 140 carbs and 53 fats. One day per week I would have a refeed (because I've heard that it's important to refill your glycemic storage) and eat 2400 kcals.

Is my diet plan correct to reach 10 % body fat? How long would it take?

My workout plan would be 3 days per week, day 1 would be shoulders, chest and triceps, day 2 legs and day 3 back and biceps.

What are your thoughts????

The site doesn't let me upload photos, if you click paste these links into your browser you'll be able to see my actual condition

i.imgur.com/yk5oM2X.jpg

i.imgur.com/D2ySsuA.jpg

i.imgur.com/poQLQRR.jpg

i.imgur.com/ytsqOY6.jpg

BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you have a bad plan. You don't have a real workout program, you are just making up your own. 1600 calories a day is not enough, certainly it's not enough on the days you exercise and will lead to bad cravings. Here are a couple good workout programs:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-...rkout-routine/

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1266579371

You will look pretty good if you lose 10 pounds and have a little more muscle. It's a pretty realistic goal.

lukas121 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    I think you have a bad plan. You don't have a real workout program, you are just making up your own. 1600 calories a day is not enough, certainly it's not enough on the days you exercise and will lead to bad cravings. Here are a couple good workout programs:

You will look pretty good if you lose 10 pounds and have a little more muscle. It's a pretty realistic goal.
    1600 kcal is the 25% deficit from my tdee. i have read in multiple places that a 25% reduction is appropriate, or a -500 kcal, which is still 1600. how many kcal do you think I should eat?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It sounds like you have calculated your TDEE wrong. All calculators are just guesses anyway. From experience, I can tell you 1600 is going to be too low for you. You also don't need daily swings. Eat the same each day and keep it to around 2000-2200 - makes adjustments after 2 weeks or more of running this

Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sherniee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lukas121 View Post
    1600 kcal is the 25% deficit from my tdee. i have read in multiple places that a 25% reduction is appropriate, or a -500 kcal, which is still 1600. how many kcal do you think I should eat?
    My biggest regret from when I started lifting as an obese individual was taking my own sweet time to cut. Once you plateau in terms of gains and you still have fat to lose, you're in an awkward position where you still have to bust your ass to maintain volume but reap very little reward from it.

Read this: https://rippedbody.com/progress-while-cutting/

These recommendations are very theoretical up until you apply them. In terms of your current plan:

1. Don't hit a body part once a week. Find a good novice routine, they will typically be 3 x fullbody or 4 x Upper/Lower, based around barbell compound lifts.

2. Do regular cardio. I find being sedentary really going against the grain in terms of prolonged cutting.

3. Don't pick random numbers and set it as your goal. They are meaningless till you do the math and visualize your results. Assuming you are 25% now, have you visualized yourself under 70 kilos? That's likely your weight if you truly did get to 10% assuming you maintained your current lean mass. Not that I'm recommending trying to get to 10%.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Before you worry about working out you should get your mind right.

I don’t understand how people can come on a public forum and degrade themselves with things like “I suck” etc. Don’t you see what that kind of negative self-talk does? You’re setting yourself up for failure in life talking like that. That isn’t good at all.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by health4life24 View Post
    Before you worry about working out you should get your mind right.

I don’t understand how people can come on a public forum and degrade themselves with things like “I suck” etc. Don’t you see what that kind of negative self-talk does? You’re setting yourself up for failure in life talking like that. That isn’t good at all.
    He's right. Whether you go for...
    "For as he thinks in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23, 7)
    or
    "Where the mind goes the body will follow" (Arnold Schwarzenegger)

You need to stop worrying about where you are now. We all start from somewhere and for most people that's: too much fat and not enough muscle
    So focus on the initial basic steps to start the journey, one step at a time. There's a rhetorical question "how do you eat an elephant?" and the answer is given as "one bite at a time".
    Break a big challenge into small steps and look for consistency and persistence above short term enthusiasm which can come and go.

1) work out sensible calories, 1600 doesn't sound sustainable but others have already stated that. Use this calculator for some perspective https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm
    2) try to get your daily calories from sensible foods: lots of fresh vegetables, not too much fruit (the sugar!), and varied sources of protein. This isn't rocket science just be sensible and this is second place to calorie numbers
    3) start a workout program. See Fierce5 in the "stickies" (fixed articles at top of each section) or perhaps Stronglifts 5x5 (free phone app, Google it).
    4) Be prepared for the long-haul. Don't start anything you think you can't maintain 6 months plus. Remember the hare and tortoise fable, and think marathon not sprint

Enjoy...
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Back on the diet :(

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As SP stated start with 2000-2200 calories this is usually a solid place to start, make sure you record everything you consume and weigh the products as guessing how much without a good eye for portion is one of the biggest mistakes for beginners.

Forget refeeds you don't need them they are pointless and only offer a small level of help when an individual is a lot leaner or after a long time in a deficit, it will just slow your weight loss down. Muscle is not secondary for good composition this is the goal but in your case its retaining as much as possible and even possibly building some whilst in a caloric deficit should be your target, don't think just losing fat will cause effective body composition you will just look like a smaller version of yourself.

You must get your protein in a minimum of 0.8-1g of protein per lb of body weight will be fine for maximal benefits, after aiming for a solid amount of fats for hormonal balance is required (around 0.4g per lb of body weight is about right slightly less will be ok, more is perfectly fine) after that anything can make up your calories it doesn't matter the source of the calories.

That said it is best practice to try and consume more nutritional food sources with minimal processing so getting most of your intake from lean meats, lots of fruit and veg, wholegrain, legumes, milk, eggs, etc. Now that said eliminating all non-nutritional foods sources is just asking for cravings and adherence problems so have a small amount of empty calories is fine just make sure they are in your caloric limit. Remember calories are the most important factor for weight loss but protein and weight training are essential for good body composition.

If after 2/3 weeks you don't lose weight then drop calories by 200 and repeat, aim to lose around 1-2lbs a week.

Read this for all the info:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

As for training you need a progressive training program and it is best to stick to a premade balanced program as a beginner as its one less thing you have to concern yourself with and possibly mess up here are a few which I personally recommend:-

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ - Strong Lifts

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs - Starting Strength

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...9172473&page=1 - All pro

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...2916931&page=1 - Fierce 5

https://rippedbody.com/novice-bodybuilding-program/ - Eric Helms and co Novice program.

Follow the program as described and progress both in strength and working volume (all explained in the programs). After that it is just adherence and being patient. You didn't get fat overnight so you wont lose it either.

Just a note on cardio doing some is advised and will help lose more weight as it will increase your caloric deficit and be good for general health, that said weights are the most important factor as cardio doesn't retain muscle very well and this is the goal. So add cardio as you please but ensure diet and weights are priority.

IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronFortified is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Running would be the cardio of choice. And there is no need to overdo it. A couple of days a week for 10-20 minutes is a good start (brisk walk to start with if you have to, then mix in walking/running until a steady jog develops). This will send a signal to the body to lean out. The benefits of running also include a faster metabolism even on your non-running days.

For weight training, keep the reps up into the strength range on compound movements (squat and bench press 5-8 reps, deadlift 3-5 reps) and a little higher for muscle specific exercises (8-10 for dumbbells and 10-15 for any cable work). The higher rep work keeps the intensity at a manageable rate and is easier on the joints (running is tough on the joints, so hitting the weights too hard will eventually cause overtraining).

As far as diet, I recently dropped 8 pounds from simply getting off the fried potatoes with dinner and dropping my breakfast and lunch cottage cheese side-dish from low fat to fat free, as well as eliminating blueberry's as a topping.

Pay attention to sugars, even in fruit. I opt for a morning smoothie consisting of orange juice, one whole strawberry, and one banana, along with a scoop of whey protein. These fruits score better on the glycemic index and satisfy any urges for sweets during the day. The higher glycemic fruits like apples and melons put weight on in a hurry.

And most of all, be consistent in what you eat. I go with foods that I like, such as chicken breasts, lean hamburger, non-fried potatoes, eggs, lean ham, etc. and stick with them, adjusting the portions as necessary. Try taking a look as what you like now, and seek out the lower fat version. It may be enough to start seeing positive results without having to dive into some major changes.
    I love the sound of clangin' iron!

Iron-Fortified For Life - a book on powerbuilding for getting big and strong naturally.

Here is the link in case you are interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Fortified-Life-W-S-Campbell/dp/1544238452/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537134965&sr=8-2&keywords=iron+fortified+for+life&dpID=51CQjlN5Q1L&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    He's right. Whether you go for...
    "For as he thinks in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23, 7)
    or
    "Where the mind goes the body will follow" (Arnold Schwarzenegger)

You need to stop worrying about where you are now. We all start from somewhere and for most people that's: too much fat and not enough muscle
    So focus on the initial basic steps to start the journey, one step at a time. There's a rhetorical question "how do you eat an elephant?" and the answer is given as "one bite at a time".
    Break a big challenge into small steps and look for consistency and persistence above short term enthusiasm which can come and go.

1) work out sensible calories, 1600 doesn't sound sustainable but others have already stated that. Use this calculator for some perspective https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm
    2) try to get your daily calories from sensible foods: lots of fresh vegetables, not too much fruit (the sugar!), and varied sources of protein. This isn't rocket science just be sensible and this is second place to calorie numbers
    3) start a workout program. See Fierce5 in the "stickies" (fixed articles at top of each section) or perhaps Stronglifts 5x5 (free phone app, Google it).
    4) Be prepared for the long-haul. Don't start anything you think you can't maintain 6 months plus. Remember the hare and tortoise fable, and think marathon not sprint

Enjoy...
    I’m not a religious man, but whenever Old Fart Tom posts a grain of his always on point wisdom, I can’t help thinking “Amen, Brother!”

You’re being given good advice in this thread. Heed it.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by IronFortified View Post
    Pay attention to sugars, even in fruit. I opt for a morning smoothie consisting of orange juice, one whole strawberry, and one banana, along with a scoop of whey protein. These fruits score better on the glycemic index and satisfy any urges for sweets during the day. The higher glycemic fruits like apples and melons put weight on in a hurry.
    Did I miss the memo about fruit being bad or something and now a diabetic food scoring system is now the norm for weight loss?

Fruit will not make you gain anymore weight or fat then any other food. It is calories in vs calories out, it doesn't make any difference the sugar intake you could drink liquid glucose and still lose weight and fat and if you ate enough protein and weight train you would retain muscle. Would you be hungry damn right you would be starving (and probably quite sick).

I have no idea why the glycemic index has started to come back in fashion but a foods GI rating does nothing for fat loss in all healthy individuals. The system is designed to help diabetics as the GI is designed to measure a insulin response from the food not an individuals blood glucose level from consuming that food.

So no melon and apples will not make you fat or gain weight actually its been proven countless times that a diet high in both fruit and veg will cause greater fat loss as you will feel fuller (satiety rating) and volume per calorie base (not to mention all the health benefits). The glycemic index is a flawed measuring tool which is just ridiculous IMO.

For one it states blueberry muffins are better for you then apples? Likewise it states banana bread is better then bread even though it is the same thing ingredients wise (minus the banana).

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Did I miss the memo about fruit being bad or something and now a diabetic food scoring system is now the norm for weight loss?... ...
    Maybe the memo got caught in your "Junk" folder, did you look there?
    The problem has been the recent popularity of prepacked blended fruit drinks (or "smoothies"). Now these are great as part of a healthy balanced diet but some people have fallen for marketing hype, with these being branded "healthy" and other foods being branded unhealthy.

Kind of as a compensation to a proportion of consumers chugging giant bottles of "healthy" fruit drinks thinking the more they drink the healthier they'll become, its become necessary to re-state the nutritional content of fruit in general. Common sense sadly isn't so common.

The recommendations vary from country to country on "5 a day" but people are often advised (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_A_Day#Australia) to have 2 (or more) fruit portions a day but 5 (or more) vegetables. The reason to have less fruit portions than vegetables portions is the sugar content.

I agree that obsession over GI rating are a distraction for non diabetics and we are "majoring in the minors", although there is some utility in it for weight loss (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17636786) - IMHO probably due to the satiety of high GI foods often being low, in turn leading to eating less. The Glycemic index does yield some surprising results (e.g. banana bread), but these are empirically measured.

Edit: being really irritating pedantic but GI is to measure the relative effects on blood glucose levels and not insulin levels or insulin response (note: type 1 diabetics). Also it's only guidelines and odd effects have been demonstrated, for example freshly made pasta and tomato sauce versus exactly the same pasta and sauce cooked, stored in a fridge overnight then reheated (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29629761) or the consumption of a small alcoholic drink (apéritif or digestif) can reduce the glucose spike of a meal. Anyway, this really is "majoring in the minors" Just EAT LESS AND MOVE MORE people
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 09-11-2019 at 06:52 AM.