Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000)

Pressing frequency with a bum shoulder

I've switched programs after 6 months of U/L to greyskull LP (3 weeks in now). I have a labral tear which is manageable, but it's starting to flare up again. I'm doing less overall pressing volume, but more frequently. I've also re-added the OHP and chin-ups to my exercise list (whereas before I did lat pulldowns and db presses with a more neutral grip).

I'm loving the program, but my shoulder joint disagrees with me. I'm wondering if it's the pressing frequency or the OHP/chin-ups I reincorporated that's causing the issues. Maybe a combination of both...

I'm only able to lift 3 days a week right now, that's why I made the switch, so I opted for the most 'optimal' program in this situation which is full body. Maybe 'optimal' stops being 'optimal' if it's not sustainable?

goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nelg1993 View Post
    I've switched programs after 6 months of U/L to greyskull LP (3 weeks in now). I have a labral tear which is manageable, but it's starting to flare up again. I'm doing less overall pressing volume, but more frequently. I've also re-added the OHP and chin-ups to my exercise list (whereas before I did lat pulldowns and db presses with a more neutral grip).

I'm loving the program, but my shoulder joint disagrees with me. I'm wondering if it's the pressing frequency or the OHP/chin-ups I reincorporated that's causing the issues. Maybe a combination of both...

I'm only able to lift 3 days a week right now, that's why I made the switch, so I opted for the most 'optimal' program in this situation which is full body. Maybe 'optimal' stops being 'optimal' if it's not sustainable?
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. Was it bothering you before you made this change?

Also, you said you added in the elbows-out varieties of some lifts around the same time as you changed the frequency. So it would be hard to tell if it was the frequency or the elbows-out exercises.

From my experience, anything with elbows-out puts more stress on the shoulders. So first step would be to bring the elbows in a little more on those movements.

If you want to keep your elbows out then just lighten the weight. Its possible for your shoulders to adapt to elbows-out lifting but you have to let them get used to it.

Also, you said you added chins. Are you rotated your scapula forward to get your chin over the bar? That is something people end up doing on chins to get extra reps. But its not good for your shoulders. Shoulder blades need to stay down and back as you finish the rep. (Maybe you're already doing this)

I'd say keep the frequency but either bring your elbows back in on presses/pulldowns, or lighten the weight if you keep your elbows out. If the injury keeps flaring up then reduce the frequency too.

Also do you ice your shoulder after a workout? That can go a long way, a bit of ice after a workout. You can use direct ice and be done within minutes, as long as it doesn't bother your skin.
    My workout journal
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177525261

My website
    https://buildingyourhomegym.com