ChelleBelle808 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Losing my trainer end of the month, worried about stalling

Aloha!

This is my first post. I am 38 and just started getting fit. I never had to work out to stay thin - when I was younger - and found it tedious, so I have 0 experience in athleticism or fitness in general. Well, after two babies and a serious tank in my metabolism after 32, I found myself using the services of a personal trainer to jumpstart a fitness routine because I was about 45 lbs overweight. I have seen extremely good progress in the 16 weeks I have worked with him and it has definitely made me more excited about going to the gym. However, it is ridiculously expensive ($850/3x wk), so I cannot continue with him, but I don't want to stall my progress - especially since I've just started (secretly) considering competing next year - I am just not sure I have the natural shape for it. Even if I end up not competing, I still want my body to be the best it can.

What does everyone here do for routines? Do you build your own? Do you focus on heavy lifting? How much HIIT do you do?

He tests me at the end of every month on differing benchmark lifts and exercises, which I will miss.

Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think there's as many training schedules as there are roads to Rome.
    People train from 2, even 1 time a week, up to 6 times a week.

Try to use a good basic routine. The one you already have gotten from the trainer maybe?
    Or read a lot on this forum. Find routines, and experiment. And/or try to connect with someone in the gym who has a lot of experience and wants to help you a bit.
    Don't overdo it. That is the way to burn yourself out. And cause motivation drain.
    But read read read.
    There's lots of questions people have asked and can be found on this forum, and other places on the internet.

You can do the tests yourself. You can also write down the numbers and date of the exercise and weights.
    You'll see the progression.

Don't know what to say. A beginner has a lot to learn.
    But a good basic routine is a good start. Eat healthy foods, and take enough rest(sleep).
    The body needs more when working out hard.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

deciding if coaching is somthing you need

Originally Posted by ChelleBelle808 View Post
    Aloha!

This is my first post. I am 38 and just started getting fit. I never had to work out to stay thin - when I was younger - and found it tedious, so I have 0 experience in athleticism or fitness in general. Well, after two babies and a serious tank in my metabolism after 32, I found myself using the services of a personal trainer to jumpstart a fitness routine because I was about 45 lbs overweight. I have seen extremely good progress in the 16 weeks I have worked with him and it has definitely made me more excited about going to the gym. However, it is ridiculously expensive ($850/3x wk), so I cannot continue with him, but I don't want to stall my progress - especially since I've just started (secretly) considering competing next year - I am just not sure I have the natural shape for it. Even if I end up not competing, I still want my body to be the best it can.

What does everyone here do for routines? Do you build your own? Do you focus on heavy lifting? How much HIIT do you do?

He tests me at the end of every month on differing benchmark lifts and exercises, which I will miss.
    I have gone through the process of being coached as well as coaching others. My advice is to look at whether or not you think you need a coach based off of your goal and current knowledge. A coach simply put takes the thinking out of preparation for a competition/ fat loss, etc. Either devise a plan to follow and troubleshoot as you go or look for other more knowledgable people for coaching. Also see what they can provide to you. Personally, I enjoy the trial and error part of things, but i wish I had a coach at a much younger age as it would have saved me time doing less machine work when I began lifting and knowing the importance of doing the compound lifts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by getbigordie18 View Post
    I have gone through the process of being coached as well as coaching others. My advice is to look at whether or not you think you need a coach based off of your goal and current knowledge. A coach simply put takes the thinking out of preparation for a competition/ fat loss, etc. Either devise a plan to follow and troubleshoot as you go or look for other more knowledgable people for coaching. Also see what they can provide to you. Personally, I enjoy the trial and error part of things, but i wish I had a coach at a much younger age as it would have saved me time doing less machine work when I began lifting and knowing the importance of doing the compound lifts.
    It might have just wasted a year too, most people I know with PT's attribute all their effort and beginner gains to the PT and then wonder why they stuck for a year (meanwhile said PT is changing split and random **** every few weeks to "keep it interesting", or letting them max out every other session.

OP you can learn a lot from a few people on youtube for free (barbell medicine, jeff nippard, elite fts, chris duffin) or pick up an overall training ebook like Erik Helms muscle and strength pyramids that will teach you far more than your trainer would have.

Stronger by Science is also a fantastic resource site
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee