TEZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I going catabolic, whats going on with my body and I ill?

Hi

Im 45 years old started up training after a 14 year break, and have been training again for 8 months or so. Main aim was to get more athletic losing fat add some muscle. Not long into it I started getting into more weights, the good old feelings came back, but Im not in my lt 20s no more, but my goals shifted a little, I wanted to get some mass back over this year while loosnig some fat at a slower pace. I found I didnt need to eat much and weight was coming off but less than 1lb a week and over the months this slowed down so assumed my sub 1000kcal a day was fine. 9 months ago I was 14 stone, and now Im 13 stone to this day.

Now my fat loss over the last few months had almost come to a halt and developed some issues with my right shoulder, I had issues with it a few years back, but a heavy DB press 40kg per arm started the pain off as that week I was training by myself and normally I would have training partner place them on my chest.

I started doing some rotator cuff exercises but it hasnt helped. I cleaned my form up even more, and really concentrated on slower reps with all negative reps.

Signs that I see now where showing where I still felt sore on my shoulders and biceps a week later, yet I could still progress in some way. I was getting a really nice pump and I noted on my log for 29/07/19 how my arms measured 17" after a tricep workout, I was started to see some nice progress but that dam shoulder would not heal, and shoulders biceps just wasnt quite feeling fully recovered. I was doing less weight but much better form at this point.

Moving on to close to 2 weeks ago I changed my diet up from advice here and ramped it up from sub 1000kcal at times 1200kcal to 1300, 1400, 1600, each day over that week until I as at 1700kcal to monitor how things go. All these 8 months my protein has been 1g per lb of body weight, and recently taken up even higher. Im getting protien mainly from Chicken breast, Salmon, and My protien Weigh Issolate 3 times a day with water.

I started taking CLA caps, and had my diet down very well using a app on my phone to calc it all. My bicep day I noticed for the first time ever that I juts didnt feel any pump, also they measured the same as no pump if not a little under. In this week I felt ill, stomach didnt like something so missed one session. The next day I had dropped from 13.3st in morning and 13.5 in the evening to 13.00st in the morning and 13.3 in the evening. I was now eating way more food than previous months but I sence something is wrong.

This week starts with Training on Monday, not been feeling 100% right but kept the diet up and still same body weight. Mondays training my right arm collapse on DB press on the only 32kg, that's not good, I continued training and done ok if not a little less than normal due to slight weakness, and shoulder pain. For the first time in my life I could not get any pump at all in my tricep or chest. My arms which where 17" on 29/07 where now 16".

Today I measure arms and they are just over 15/1/2, what on earth is happening to me? With my diet pushed up shouldn't I be improving? Now Im concered If I should train at all for rest of week? Why would I be making progress for 7 months on 1000kcal then as soon as I up my calories things turn bad, is there some delay going on here, am I going catabolic, and I ill? My sleep is poor but I do have much stress in life and am using training to help me get out of a long bout of depression.

I noticed this week I just look small, shoulders look flat and deflated, its odd. My mood for training is good, I very positive for training and still have plenty of metal drive to do it.

Thanks, Dan
    Last edited by TEZ; 09-03-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TEZ View Post
    Hi

Im 45 years old started up training after a 14 year break, and have been training again for 8 months or so. Main aim was to get more athletic losing fat add some muscle. Not long into it I started getting into more weights, the good old feelings came back, but Im not in my lt 20s no more, but my goals shifted a little, I wanted to get some mass back over this year while loosnig some fat at a slower pace. I found I didnt need to eat much and weight was coming off but less than 1lb a week and over the months this slowed down so assumed my sub 1000kcal a day was fine. 9 months ago I was 14 stone, and now Im 13 stone to this day.

Now my fat loss over the last few months had almost come to a halt and developed some issues with my right shoulder, I had issues with it a few years back, but a heavy DB press 40kg per arm started the pain off as that week I was training by myself and normally I would have training partner place them on my chest.

I started doing some rotator cuff exercises but it hasnt helped. I cleaned my form up even more, and really concentrated on slower reps with all negative reps.

Signs that I see now where showing where I still felt sore on my shoulders and biceps a week later, yet I could still progress in some way. I was getting a really nice pump and I noted on my log for 29/07/19 how my arms measured 17" after a tricep workout, I was started to see some nice progress but that dam shoulder would not heal, and shoulders biceps just wasnt quite feeling fully recovered. I was doing less weight but much better form at this point.

Moving on to close to 2 weeks ago I changed my diet up from advice here and ramped it up from sub 1000kcal at times 1200kcal to 1300, 1400, 1600, each day over that week until I as at 1700kcal to monitor how things go. All these 8 months my protein has been 1g per lb of body weight, and recently taken up even higher. Im getting protien mainly from Chicken breast, Salmon, and My protien Weigh Issolate 3 times a day with water.

I started taking CLA caps, and had my diet down very well using a app on my phone to calc it all. My bicep day I noticed for the first time ever that I juts didnt feel any pump, also they measured the same as no pump if not a little under. In this week I felt ill, stomach didnt like something so missed one session. The next day I had dropped from 13.3st in morning and 13.5 in the evening to 13.00st in the morning and 13.3 in the evening. I was now eating way more food than previous months but I sence something is wrong.

This week starts with Training on Monday, not been feeling 100% right but kept the diet up and still same body weight. Mondays training my right arm collapse on DB press on the only 32kg, that's not good, I continued training and done ok if not a little less than normal due to slight weakness, and shoulder pain. For the first time in my life I could not get any pump at all in my tricep or chest. My arms which where 17" on 29/07 where now 16".

Today I measure arms and they are just over 15/1/2, what on earth is happening to me? With my diet pushed up shouldn't I be improving? Now Im concered If I should train at all for rest of week? Why would I be making progress for 7 months on 1000kcal then as soon as I up my calories things turn bad, is there some delay going on here, am I going catabolic, and I ill? My sleep is poor but I do have much stress in life and am using training to help me get out of a long bout of depression.

I noticed this week I just look small, shoulders look flat and deflated, its odd. My mood for training is good, I very positive for training and still have plenty of metal drive to do it.

Thanks, Dan
    I think this belongs in the weight loss/nutrition forums?

Anyway 1000 calories/day sounds terrifyingly low. That's well below starvation diet. I fear you may have done damage to your body. Given that you are starving yourself and taking weight loss supplements, asking if you are in a catabolic state, you really don't seem to have any idea what you're doing and that's your problem right there. That and you are waaaay overthinking this.

It sounds like you are really obsessing over this, a common beginner mistake. But it's really taking a toll on your health.

Weight loss is really simple. Eat fewer calories than you burn. Don't constantly obsess over your weight, stop taking that CLA crap, and don't obsess over where you're getting your protein from. You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies.

What you need to do is stop the obsessive behavior. Find a routine and stick to it for a few weeks at a time. If you aren't losing weight, adjust your routine to eat noticeably less. Weigh yourself only once a month or so. Hell, the last cut I went on, where I lost 50 lbs, I only weighed myself like 2 or 3 times. I frequently ate McDonalds, Taco Bell, and so forth. And for god sake, eat some food and chill out lol.

Originally Posted by ProgrammerHunch View Post
    I think this belongs in the weight loss/nutrition forums?

Anyway 1000 calories/day sounds terrifyingly low. That's well below starvation diet. I fear you may have done damage to your body. Given that you are starving yourself and taking weight loss supplements, asking if you are in a catabolic state, you really don't seem to have any idea what you're doing and that's your problem right there. That and you are waaaay overthinking this.

It sounds like you are really obsessing over this, a common beginner mistake. But it's really taking a toll on your health.

Weight loss is really simple. Eat fewer calories than you burn. Don't constantly obsess over your weight, stop taking that CLA crap, and don't obsess over where you're getting your protein from. You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies.

What you need to do is stop the obsessive behavior. Find a routine and stick to it for a few weeks at a time. If you aren't losing weight, adjust your routine to eat noticeably less. Weigh yourself only once a month or so. Hell, the last cut I went on, where I lost 50 lbs, I only weighed myself like 2 or 3 times. I frequently ate McDonalds, Taco Bell, and so forth. And for god sake, eat some food and chill out lol.
    Thanks for your reply. Before I was eating 1000kcal and doing any training I was only on about 1200kcal anyway and I was getting fat on that, I was 14 stone, wasnt hungry, and it wasnt all bad foods either, this is why I went on 1000kcal. I wasnt on the understanding that CLA was considered a weight loss supplement, its bascily 1000mg of Omega 6 fatty acids. My metabolism is much slower than in my 20s I have to be more carefull, I will put on fat with ease.

I have trained 14 years ago for a solid 7 years full on I made good gains. I never run into these problems back then hence why I ask "Am I going catabolic" Obviously losing muscle and strength is the answer to that question but Im getting some odd things that dont add up so much. I was still able to lift my same weights over last few weeks, some more, for instance, last week my bench went up, I feel I could train harder, Im not experiencing any tiredness, or fatigue before or after training.

Im also worried and weighing myself every morning and evening only for last 9 days since I put my calories up but have been losing weight on a daily basis with all these other symptoms. I wish I could chill out but thats not in my nature, Im very full on focus, and do whatever it takes to get to a goal, just need some advice as to where Im going wrong.

Thanks. Dan

ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for your reply. Before I was eating 1000kcal and doing any training I was only on about 1200kcal anyway and I was getting fat on that, I was 14 stone, wasnt hungry, and it wasnt all bad foods either, this is why I went on 1000kcal. I wasnt on the understanding that CLA was considered a weight loss supplement, its bascily 1000mg of Omega 6 fatty acids. My metabolism is much slower than in my 20s I have to be more carefull, I will put on fat with ease.

I have trained 14 years ago for a solid 7 years full on I made good gains. I never run into these problems back then hence why I ask "Am I going catabolic" Obviously losing muscle and strength is the answer to that question but Im getting some odd things that dont add up so much. I was still able to lift my same weights over last few weeks, some more, for instance, last week my bench went up, I feel I could train harder, Im not experiencing any tiredness, or fatigue before or after training.

Im also worried and weighing myself every morning and evening only for last 9 days since I put my calories up but have been losing weight on a daily basis with all these other symptoms. I wish I could chill out but thats not in my nature, Im very full on focus, and do whatever it takes to get to a goal, just need some advice as to where Im going wrong.

Thanks. Dan
    Metabolism grows with muscle and size. If you are active, lift weights, and eat enough, you will have a high metabolism period. If you are eating so few calories, you probably don't have much muscle and you're not giving your metabolism any chance to grow. All you're doing is damaging your body.

The thing is you gotta chill out or you're never gonna get anywhere with this. If you're one of those guys what weighs yourself every 5 minutes stressing out about your weight, you absolutely 100% will never achieve your goals.

You got all these wrong ideas about weight loss. As yoda said "unlearn what you have learned". There is so much garbage out there that it's hard to sift through it to learn the stuff that really matters. The stuff that really matters is this:

1) Weight loss = Calories in < Calories out
    2) Eat protein to preserve muscle
    3) Work out to preserve muscle
    4) ?
    5) Profit.

Stay away from supplements, stay away from clean eating, don't worry about things. Just find an eating routine, and somewhat stick to it. If you aren't losing weight after several weeks (only weighing yourself every few weeks, it's IMPORTANT!!!) from the previous weigh-in, then maybe you need to cut down on calories A LITTLE BIT. But don't sweat it. Also bear in mind, you may be losing fat but building muscle. So it's not all about what the scale says, but how you LOOK in the mirror.

Weighing yourself twice every day is pointless. You slowly gain weight as you eat during the day, and you as you dehydrate and use the restroom you weigh least in the morning. You eat something with a lot of salt in it, you retain water and you think "gee I gained 2 lbs of fat, I must be doing something wrong". Or maybe you eat a lot of food that has low calorie content, but that food has weight. Or maybe you're constipated. And of course, the scale itself fluctuates all over the place, one time you step on it it is dead on, the next time it is off by 2-3 lbs. Weigh yourself every several weeks is the only way you can really tell what kind of progress you are making. At a healthy rate of fat loss, you lose maybe a lb of fat a week, which means you're only losing a few hundred calories of fat per day, which is impossible to measure on a scale.

It's a MARATHON not a sprint. More than anything you need to be patient and smart.
    Last edited by ProgrammerHunch; 09-04-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Originally Posted by ProgrammerHunch View Post
    Metabolism grows with muscle and size. If you are active, lift weights, and eat enough, you will have a high metabolism period. If you are eating so few calories, you probably don't have much muscle and you're not giving your metabolism any chance to grow. All you're doing is damaging your body.

The thing is you gotta chill out or you're never gonna get anywhere with this. If you're one of those guys what weighs yourself every 5 minutes stressing out about your weight, you absolutely 100% will never achieve your goals.

You got all these wrong ideas about weight loss. As yoda said "unlearn what you have learned". There is so much garbage out there that it's hard to sift through it to learn the stuff that really matters. The stuff that really matters is this:

1) Weight loss = Calories in < Calories out
    2) Eat protein to preserve muscle
    3) Work out to preserve muscle
    4) ?
    5) Profit.

Stay away from supplements, stay away from clean eating, don't worry about things. Just find an eating routine, and somewhat stick to it. If you aren't losing weight after several weeks (only weighing yourself every few weeks, it's IMPORTANT!!!) from the previous weigh-in, then maybe you need to cut down on calories A LITTLE BIT. But don't sweat it. Also bear in mind, you may be losing fat but building muscle. So it's not all about what the scale says, but how you LOOK in the mirror.

Weighing yourself twice every day is pointless. You slowly gain weight as you eat during the day, and you as you dehydrate and use the restroom you weigh least in the morning. You eat something with a lot of salt in it, you retain water and you think "gee I gained 2 lbs of fat, I must be doing something wrong". Or maybe you eat a lot of food that has low calorie content, but that food has weight. Or maybe you're constipated. And of course, the scale itself fluctuates all over the place, one time you step on it it is dead on, the next time it is off by 2-3 lbs. Weigh yourself every several weeks is the only way you can really tell what kind of progress you are making. At a healthy rate of fat loss, you lose maybe a lb of fat a week, which means you're only losing a few hundred calories of fat per day, which is impossible to measure on a scale.

It's a MARATHON not a sprint. More than anything you need to be patient and smart.
    Thanks for your reply. Here is my diet as of 2 weeks ago, but this is a not a temp one, but just healthy eating for life, Im happy to eat this.

Wake up:
    Drink water
    do 6 min intence abb core workout. AtheanX app

Breakfast: 346kcal

Porridge Oats with semi skimmed milk.
    Protein shake with water.
    Pink lady apple

Walk 20

Mid-morning: 72kcal
    low fat greek yogurt 100g

Lunch 628kcal

Broccoli 88g
    chicken breast 200g
    avacardo half
    baby potatoes 100g
    brown rice 90g
    extra virgin olive oil in cooking 14g

Afternoon: 192 kcal
    Cofee with semi skimed milk
    22 almonds
    Protien shake with water

Dinner: 386kcal

Light salad cream spinkle
    Giant Couscous and veg 100g
    Pink salmon
    Avacado half

Lunch: 522kcal
    Broccoli 88g
    Brown rice 100g
    Avacardo Half
    Large chicken breast 200g

Afternoon: 481 kcal

Grapefruit pink
    Vanilla Latte (rare)
    Peanut Hike bar protein.

Dinner: 263kcal
    Protein shake
    Half red sweet pepper
    baby potatoes
    mixed salad greens
    Cooked salmon

evening:

Omelet including the following...

2x Roast Turkey slices
    red pepper
    5 large egg whites
    1 whole egg

2hurs Prior to bed:
    Protien shake.

Total that day: 1932kcal

Each day is different with different callories. Ratios Carb, Fat, Protein.

27 Aug 1672 Ratio 42% 24% 34%
    28 Aug 1725 Ratio 30% 30% 40%
    29 Aug 1932 Ratio 30 28 42
    30 Aug 1591 Ratio 44 24 20
    31 Aug 1622 Ratio 41 25 34

Dan

Thanks for your reply. Here is my diet as of 2 weeks ago, but this is a not a temp one, but just healthy eating for life, Im happy to eat this.

Wake up:
    Drink water
    do 6 min intence abb core workout. AtheanX app

Breakfast: 346kcal

Porridge Oats with semi skimmed milk.
    Protein shake with water.
    Pink lady apple

Walk 20

Mid-morning: 72kcal
    low fat greek yogurt 100g

Lunch 628kcal

Broccoli 88g
    chicken breast 200g
    avacardo half
    baby potatoes 100g
    brown rice 90g
    extra virgin olive oil in cooking 14g

Afternoon: 192 kcal
    Cofee with semi skimed milk
    22 almonds
    Protien shake with water

Dinner: 386kcal

Light salad cream spinkle
    Giant Couscous and veg 100g
    Pink salmon
    Avacado half

Lunch: 522kcal
    Broccoli 88g
    Brown rice 100g
    Avacardo Half
    Large chicken breast 200g

Afternoon: 481 kcal

Grapefruit pink
    Vanilla Latte (rare)
    Peanut Hike bar protein.

Dinner: 263kcal
    Protein shake
    Half red sweet pepper
    baby potatoes
    mixed salad greens
    Cooked salmon

evening:

Omelet including the following...

2x Roast Turkey slices
    red pepper
    5 large egg whites
    1 whole egg

2hurs Prior to bed:
    Protien shake.

Total that day: 1932kcal

Each day is different with different callories. Ratios Carb, Fat, Protein.

27 Aug 1672 Ratio 42% 24% 34%
    28 Aug 1725 Ratio 30% 30% 40%
    29 Aug 1932 Ratio 30 28 42
    30 Aug 1591 Ratio 44 24 20
    31 Aug 1622 Ratio 41 25 34

Dan
    You want my opinion? Throw all that **** out the window. Find a routine and stick to it. By routine I don't mean come up with a meal plan and follow it to the letter. I mean just eat whatever whenever, but be fairly consistent about it. Whatever floats your boat. Maybe making sure to get some protein, fat, and carbs with every meal. Generally avoiding liquid calories, but with exceptions. You may be less efficient than if you count everything, and it may take longer, but you won't be stressing as much and you can actually eat somewhat like a normal person.

I mean when I was on a cut, there were days where I gained fat, there were days where I lost more than I was going for. What matters is the long haul. If my fat loss was too slow, I'm thinking "eat less in general". And if still not fast enough, continue doing that until it happens.

Also, don't give 2 ****s what kind of food your eating. Think only in terms of protein, carbs, fat, and fiber. Drink only when thirsty. Maybe take a multi, that's about it.

Generally I like to avoid liquid calories (I'll have the occasional beer during socials), I like to make sure every meal has some protein in it at least. Every few months I might step on a scale and notice that maybe my fat loss or weight gain is not where I want it to be, so I'll make an adjustment like "maybe I'll stop having that extra snack every morning". Simple.

Do you lift weights? Make sure you do that a few days a week.
    Last edited by ProgrammerHunch; 09-04-2019 at 03:24 AM.