HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wearing ankle weights everyday to heal herniated disc?

So I have tried many things to heal a herniated disc in my lower back.
    McGill, McKenzie, traction.
    McGill big 3 seems to help the most.

Anyway, I stumbled into a reddit forum where a guy mentioned wearing ankle weights for an entire day. That method, he claims, is suggested by Louie Simmons himself who is prominent by healing horrific back injuries.

I googled but found nothing where Simmons discuss such a thing.

Just an article by AlphaDestiny that ankle weights can help (tho I do not trust AD entirely).

Anyway, the mechanism of how it could help is vague. Maybe increased muscular activity in the legs promotes better blood circulation and so?

Do you think it could help?

yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been around the block a few times with several spinal injuries and have never heard that one. The only benefit i can think of is it will help to increase strength and stamina in your core muscles from having to lift more with every step provided you keep good posture. Anything you can do to strengthen the core, hip flexors, spinal erectors, and glutes will help to align the spine and reduce pain symptoms. I use the precor elliptical with the adjustable ramp crank the resistance up and while standing straight not leaning on the rails and the drive from the feet can be felt straight up into the glutes hips lower back muscle and the abs since they are all firing to fight the resistance at the base. Keeps blood and nutrients pumping thru those areas i hit it four-five days per week and it makes a difference. Inversion traction feels good but is temporary.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by yohahn View Post
    I have been around the block a few times with several spinal injuries and have never heard that one. The only benefit i can think of is it will help to increase strength and stamina in your core muscles from having to lift more with every step provided you keep good posture. Anything you can do to strengthen the core, hip flexors, spinal erectors, and glutes will help to align the spine and reduce pain symptoms. I use the precor elliptical with the adjustable ramp crank the resistance up and while standing straight not leaning on the rails and the drive from the feet can be felt straight up into the glutes hips lower back muscle and the abs since they are all firing to fight the resistance at the base. Keeps blood and nutrients pumping thru those areas i hit it four-five days per week and it makes a difference. Inversion traction feels good but is temporary.
    Any tips how to hit glutes and lower back besides that low intensity cardio? Hypers, reverse hypers, supermans, deadlifts, every hip hinge makes the pain worse..

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ankle weights? Now I've officially heard it all. All except the things you actually need to do.

The only thing that's gonna help is progressive strengthening, mobility, and improving posture done safely and properly. And by strengthening I mean don't just do glute bridges and bird dogs for the rest of your life. That is great to start with, but you need to try more challenging stuff. If that doesn't help it, then you may need some surgical intervention. Anything else is a lie.

For instance, I started with glute bridges. Now, I do 3 45 lb plates doing back extensions on a roman chair. My lower back is practically indestructible. Mobility and posture are important as well, for instance when you bend down to Deadlift, you need to preserve a neutral arch. If you have tight hamstrings, you need to work on that.

McGill sounds like he has a clue, but the other stuff is just pure garbage.

yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50) yohahn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    Any tips how to hit glutes and lower back besides that low intensity cardio? Hypers, reverse hypers, supermans, deadlifts, every hip hinge makes the pain worse..
    Maybe you just need to change the way you are using the revers hyper. I like it because it takes the body past a 90 degree bend puts a good stretch on the posterior chain and opens up those facet joints in the spine while providing some traction. But only bring torso back up until spine is straight back to your startnig position NOT until torso is vertical to the floor that wold be hyper-extending the spine which is not good for anyone regardless of your back condition. The way I use this is adjust the pads low enough so that when you bend forward the pivot point is the top of the legs / hips so the bend is at the hips/ base of the spine u need to find that sweet spot so the spine doesn't really bend when leaning forward not rounding the entire back like i see most people using it for. I use it as a glute ham developer not a back developer. Then contract the glutes to bring the torso back up as fast as you want. Concentrating on squeezing the glutes to bring you back up and not the back works those muscles around the lower spine just enough for me to makes that area around the L5 S1 pain feel really good but its something i need to so daily as well to keep under control and minimize drugs. Of course my issue is more than a herniation i have instability problems there as well so thats why i am so focused on building stamina in core muscles but something we should all be doing. I start holding a 45 lb plate and work up from there doing reps from 20-50 focusing on stamina. For me this targets that lower back/glute area that are difficult to hit otherwise. I find this hyper-extension machine better than the GHD that I have because it allows the stretch past the 90 degree mark that you get on a GHD. Everyones injury is different. You might also want to try the standing glute kick-back machine some gyms have i have had less success with those simply because i find them awkward to use but they feel like they also work the abs/core muscle so i think they can work if you can get used to them. Also if you are not certain 100% your pain is from your disc make sure its not your sacroiliac joints these are often confused for disc pain since i have had both at the same time its often confused. I love epidural injections they are short term relief (anywhere from a week to a few months depending on the underlying issue but i typically get 6 months relief for a herniated disc and just a few weeks for other types of joint inflamation.) Cortisone is also used as a diagnostic tool to try to pinpoint where the pain is coming from. Their is also microscopic surgery they can do to go in and chip away at the herniation to take pressure off the nervew without doing a fusion which can give good relief. Find a good physiatrist if you don't already have one.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This helped me strengthen my lower back. It's definitely a lot tougher than your usual bend over rows in the gym with weights even though it might not look like it.

Not sure what ankle weights would do. Probably a gimmick.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

I also use a foam roller lay inside the power-rack after i finish my barbell curls and i use the safeties as hand rails to grab onto and roll on the roller from base of the scalp down to the glutes while concentrating on the area of the pain it always seems to give some relief makes my the workout better. Also roll on a tennis ball or baseball to hit specific areas.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Louie claims the reverse hyper healed his back issue.
    What we must remember is everyones issue may be different and probably is to one degree or another.
    What may work for one may not work for the other.
    I was thinking about the ankle weights and maybe he meant hanging with them.
    That would provide some traction for sure but not walking IMO with them.

Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    back issue are the worse but rly ffs dont know

Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Obrad23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    back issue are rly annoying