PrinceOfAutumn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I bulk or cut first?

Hey all,

I only recently began going to the gym regularly (Starting going for 40-70 minutes 4/5 days a week starting in April), and I've seen some decent gains in strength and size. Problem is, I don't know whether to continue gaining muscle or start cutting fat. I have a general idea that I should be gaining weight in the autumn and cutting it in the spring, but I don't want to throw on too much weight so early in my "career" so to speak. But I also don't think I should try cutting a lot of weight while out of cutting season. Should I just maintain for now and wait for spring to start a healthy cut/bulk cycle? I prioritize muscle size over fat content but I eventually want to get rid of what's left of my love handles.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Which bothers you more, your lack of muscle or the amount of fat you're carrying?

For me, I don't let myself get over 18-19% bodyfat. So if my gut is starting to extend over my belt, its time to shed some fat. I don't buy into that "cutting season" stuff, sure everyone wants to look good for the summer, but you may need to be flexible based on the conditions of your body and not have your life dictated by a calendar. In fact I just finished a cut a couple weeks ago.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Which bothers you more, your lack of muscle or the amount of fat you're carrying?

For me, I don't let myself get over 18-19% bodyfat. So if my gut is starting to extend over my belt, its time to shed some fat. I don't buy into that "cutting season" stuff, sure everyone wants to look good for the summer, but you may need to be flexible based on the conditions of your body and not have your life dictated by a calendar. In fact I just finished a cut a couple weeks ago.
    This. Don't make decisions based on the calendar. I'm about to start a cut myself.

PrinceOfAutumn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post

They both bother me equally, and it depends on the day. If I stick my hand under my gut it only covers my pinkie finger, but I don't feel great without a shirt on. But I also want some more mass up top just because it looks good. I'm torn because I know if I cut, the muscle I do have will look nice, but if I focus on getting more muscle mass, it will overtake the gut I have.

Pics of me attached.
    Attached Images

vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vadimmoda has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    cut to 12% before your mid section blows up when you bulk then you're forced to cut and lose most of your gains.

learn from my mistakes
    27 || Russian || Internet Marketer
    I collect rare watches and sneakers.
    Sometimes I lift.

IG: Vadimmoda
    Snap: Vadimmmo

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely cut, you have some pretty good sized love handles going on there, you're 20%+ bodyfat.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Cut. Just make sure you keep lifting with a good program while you do.
    Was 280+ at the beginning of 2019 (highest recorded weight is 290 on Dec 13, 2018).

Jan 01, 2020...202.0
    Jan 08, 2020...goal is 200.5