Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kingbeef323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Dropped 195lb barbell on my chest yesterday...

I was doing 195 on flat bench, which is a weight I can do 6 times at this point. I don't really know exactly what happened, but on the 4th rep my left wrist decided to roll forward causing me to release the weight, causing the barbell to come crashing down on my chest. Suprisingly it didn't hurt too much, it just shook me up a little bit and then I went on to do another set with 205. I did 4 reps and on each one I felt some kind of pressure to the left of the middle of my chest. I decided to end my workout there, which pissed me off because I was feeling really strong that day and I'm pretty sure I would have reached a new max.

I went to the doctor to get it checked out and he said it should feel better in a couple of days and to just take a break from working out.

Looking back on it, it's pretty scary because I could have dropped the bar on my neck and it would have been a wrap for me. I'm scared to even bench again because now I'm starting to work with really heavy weights and don't know what the hell caused me to drop the bar on myself.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stealle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like you should never bench again unless you have a very good spotter or better yet do your bench presses inside of a power cage. This hasn't ever happened to me, but you can't be the first and only one.

BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kingbeef323 View Post
    I was doing 195 on flat bench, which is a weight I can do 6 times at this point. I don't really know exactly what happened, but on the 4th rep my left wrist decided to roll forward causing me to release the weight, causing the barbell to come crashing down on my chest. Suprisingly it didn't hurt too much, it just shook me up a little bit and then I went on to do another set with 205. I did 4 reps and on each one I felt some kind of pressure to the left of the middle of my chest. I decided to end my workout there, which pissed me off because I was feeling really strong that day and I'm pretty sure I would have reached a new max.

I went to the doctor to get it checked out and he said it should feel better in a couple of days and to just take a break from working out.

Looking back on it, it's pretty scary because I could have dropped the bar on my neck and it would have been a wrap for me. I'm scared to even bench again because now I'm starting to work with really heavy weights and don't know what the hell caused me to drop the bar on myself.

I feel your pain..sort of. My shoulder dislocated benching 165lbish and dropped on my chest. I didn't expect it, but for some reason it didn't scare me nearly as much as the shoulder dislocation. I wonder if it could be adrenaline running through your body so fast it doesn't hurt.

Did the doc do a xray of your chest to verify nothing was broken or cracked?

I know you are scared to bench again, but you have to get over your fear. Start light (after resting to fix the pain, of course) and work your way back up. Incorporate a better wrist/forearm strengthening program, or perhaps switch to DBs? DBs felt amazing on my shoulders compared to the bar.
    "Note: this is not "MaskSpace." Masks are fine only if more of your body is shown in the photo (other than just the mask.) Loincloths and/or aboriginal penile sheaths are not permitted."

-BodySpace photo guidelines

jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000) jazztrumpet is a name known to all. (+5000)

Look on youtube

Look for bench press accident.
    " M as in Mancy"

Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000)

Exclamation

maybe next time you'll use the thumbed grip

bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bpb77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I once saw a guy drop 405 pounds on his chest after his spotter lost control of the bar as he was locking out. The guy was back the next day doing squats.

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wrist curl time! lol
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

kingbeef323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Leathalx View Post
    maybe next time you'll use the thumbed grip
    I ALWAYS use the proper grip with my thumbs wrapped around the bar, which is one of the reasons that this was so strange to me. I've been working out for almost 2 years and I've never had anything like that happen. And as for the wrist strengthening, I suppose that could help but I've never had a problem gripping and stabilizing heavy weight before so I don't quite think that's what it was. I appreciate everyones input though.

justin03tms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the exact same thing happened to me...it was with lighter weight surprisingly...i was benching 170 and my wrist did the exact thing but it landed ON my neck but luckily i had my other hand holding it on the right side and i caught onto it with my left before it could do any damage..now i dont care even if i go as light as 120 i will have a spotter

Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would suggest doing dumbbell bench presses in the interim. They will build a great deal of power and ultimately improve your barbell bench press.

DeeDub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I know this is old--
    but a couple months ago I was doing incline bench and dropped 275 pounds straight across my chest..... I hope their is no permanent damage

rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rxrocko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do dumbbells for a few weeks until you can build your confidence up again. You should have a spotter at any weight with barbell benching. You can do alot of damage even with the smallest amounts of weight if something goes wrong.
    500+

provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    machines are an option

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeh happened to me a couple of times too, dont let it bother you man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

BluebirdStar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

It could be that you were just a little distracted that day. I know if I try to work out with any sort of weights and I'm tired that morning (I get up really early to work out) or stressed about something and my form may falter (twisted a knee that way).

My best advice would be definitely start benching again, but only with a good spotter and only if you feel focused and determined. If you have any doubts, your grip and form may be off, so just believe you can do it! (Sounds cheesy, but it works!)

depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10) depravedsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BluebirdStar View Post
    It could be that you were just a little distracted that day. I know if I try to work out with any sort of weights and I'm tired that morning (I get up really early to work out) or stressed about something and my form may falter (twisted a knee that way).

My best advice would be definitely start benching again, but only with a good spotter and only if you feel focused and determined. If you have any doubts, your grip and form may be off, so just believe you can do it! (Sounds cheesy, but it works!)
    happened like 3 years ago brah, he hsould be f ine.

repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) repos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    tape ur wrist...alot of athletes do that (football) for liftn
    keep rep trading out of your sig line

wmoran82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Same here...

Had this happen to me last week. I had 215 on with those fat gripz. I must've had the grip turned the wrong way and it slipped off the bar enough for me to lose my handle and ::spalunk:: right on my sternum. Knocked the wind out of me something fierce and shook me up pretty good. Pretty sure I bruised a rib. Still tender and of course my deadlift day last night didn't help matters. I felt like such a shmuck, but at least I know I'm not the only one. Power rack, here I come. Or maybe I need to find some friends, ha.

TrevorG98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Negative

I was doing negatives with a friend the other day. Went rather high for myself (225). We're the same weight and height. He was spotting me and I did a pretty decent negative dropped the last inch. Then we were stuck. I pretty much panicked

ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryansmeltzer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Should bench inside of a cage and put the bars on the sides right above your chest that way you can bench without a spotter and if you drop it, the bar stops a couple of inches above you.

9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 9863 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what the guy above said, bench is a power rack/squat rack (whatever terminology you prefer) & put the side bars on so if you cant hold it, it lands on them & not you
    thats how i do it & lost count of how many times its saved me
    “The only thing standing between you & your goal is the bullsh*t story you keep telling yourself as to why you cant achieve it”

DSpragg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

just did that today

i was only benching 150 and on my 5th rep i was struggling to lock it out and my arms gave out with the bar falling onto my chest. my chest cracked, i could hear it and feel it. now it hurts to breathe and or bend over...do you think that is okay? or should i see a doctor about it?

richardfg7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Spotter

Might want to get a brace on that wrist. Spotters are great but sounds like one might not catch that if it happens too fast.

garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10) garuss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One of the (many) reasons I dont barbell bench press. Yeah I know i can set up in a power rack with safety bars but its way less complicated (and doesnt hurt my shoulders) to do dumbell or cable chest work.

bmsabry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Dropped the bar also on my chest at 280

Hey, thanks for your post, today I also dropped 280 lb on my chest. Funny I was googling to see if anybody ever had that. Weight was very well controlled... It is not a spotter issue...I have been using even heavier weights before....not sure what happened but I am in pain now....hope this is not serious and will go away in couple days....thanks for your post

headows is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Dropped 245 on my chest today

I know this is an old post but I would lile to know how long it took before the pain soreness went away

aquaman1984 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hello guys

How long did it take for the pain to go completely when the barbell fell on your chest?

sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's really unknowable, probably a couple of weeks unless there is other damage (heart, aorta, lungs, sternum, etc). Look for the vid of the Russian who died from dropping a heavy BP on his chest. He lived initially but then died later from internal injuries.

tobyw1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did the same thing today with 110kg/about 240pounds. I was supprised it didn’t really hurt much, it just like aches.

priverajr37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My too

I dropped the bar today with 320 lbs doing a closed open palm grip after 22 years doing this is the first time it happened to me.i hurt my forearms I never again will grabbing the bar suicidal style am in pain thanks God am strong enough to handle it...