estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10)

OMAD + Lifting Weights = Whey needed?

Hi guys and girls,

over the past 9 months, i've dropped 30kg, coming from 168kg to 137,x kg @1,92m height, 33yrs old. Still looking to lose 30 more kilos.

Mostly by means of intermittent fasting and for the past 8 weeks with OMAD - no physical activity whatsoever.
    Really, i didn't care a lot about my nutrition. When for my OMAD i really wanted Pizza, i had Pizza.
    Mostly, of course i looked for some steak etc... because that's the stuff i really like.
    In terms of protein, however, eating only OMAD turns out at something like 60g of Protein per day.

In order to avoid loose skin (fill up the skin from underneath it..) i started lifting weights 2 weeks ago.
    When i do stuff, I tend to overdo it. So, also with training, i immediately started hitting the gym 5 times in the first week.
    This week i went 4 times + running 1 time, listening to some people saying "hey... 3-4 times is really enough for a beginner".

Now, during this time my weight loss completely stopped. Before, i would lose around 1kg per week. Now, there's an increase of 300g over the past 2 weeks and i feel some weakness, start sweating easily, etc...

Re-reading a book i read some months ago i remember the author had the same experience and then started to increase protein intake. That finally allowed water to be flushed out of the system, proteins being on par with the demand that was created during the training, and the weight loss following rapidly afterwards.

Now that you know my specific situation: How much protein should i shoot for? And considering my OMAD diet, will i need whey to achieve that, in order to not exceed the kcal deficit i need to still lose weight?
    If i follow traditional instruction, which seems to be around 0,8g to 2g per kg and aiming somewhere at 1,5g/kg, i should be around 200g protein per day. That's a hell of a lot of protein i believe. But, is that really what i need?
    Might be I'm making a mistake and the calculation is about lean body mass only.. ?

thanks!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    OMAD is an effective way to control your appetite but it's not ideal for body composition goals. Especially as you start to become leaner. I would have a protein shake first thing in the morning then eat once or twice later in the day.

Your total protein intake should be at least 150g IMO. Use myfitnesspal to determine how much is in your food.

estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10) estikei is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    OMAD is an effective way to control your appetite but it's not ideal for body composition goals. Especially as you start to become leaner. I would have a protein shake first thing in the morning then eat once or twice later in the day.

Your total protein intake should be at least 150g IMO. Use myfitnesspal to determine how much is in your food.
    Thanks, man.
    Yes, I'm using an app to track my nutrition. When i switched to OMAD i stopped doing it everyday, because the main goal was to count calories during IF state so i don't overeat. With OMAD, that's generally not a problem, because i can't eat as much as i would have to, to gain weight again.

The size of meal i can eat in one meal is around 400-500g of meat, which turns out at around 115g of protein if I eat chicken/pork. I think i can eat some quark half an hour after my meal as a dessert ~20g of protein.

Whey in the morning: 55g of my desired shake contain around 44g of protein.

Would that put me in the right spot?

Also, regarding the shake. I like to train in the mornings at 7 am. Should i have it before or after the workout?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yeah, have it after the workout, that will be better. It's not really an issue when you are overweight but putting your food a long way from the workout is not ideal for results. The shake will go a long way to patching that up.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yeah, have it after the workout, that will be better. It's not really an issue when you are overweight but putting your food a long way from the workout is not ideal for results. The shake will go a long way to patching that up.
    Yes, but typically, i will have had my last meal at lunchtime the day before when working out at 7AM.

I put all the stuff i ate / will eat in the app and it turns out at around 190g of protein @1300 kcal. 1.500 is my budget, which will get filled up by some additional dip for the meat etc... so, not too bad.

Perhaps you could try spreading it into two meals... I did IF for a long time - but when I went back to eating in the morning, it made no real difference to my appetite/compliance.

Hi,

so, using Whey, meat and quark i can easily get to and above 200g of protein per day. Doing this since Monday now and i notice that all of a sudden i feel great. Not just better. Great.
    I dropped 1kg in weight, too, reaching a new all-time low.

Overall - great experience so far and not too hard to do. No problems to drink whey in the morning after my workout.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Protein requirements are exaggerated, it's a profitable industry, it pays for this forum in fact. Also a lot of normal people like to consume the same amount of protein as a heavyweight on-cycle bodybuilder, that's a mistake. Timing is important though, 60g is pretty low so you'd want to spread it out so your body always has some amino acids circulating, otherwise it will just scavenge some from your own muscle.