Grumpy232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

531 program for 59 year old

I've started the 531 program a couple of months ago. I really like it. It's my first time doing anything in the gym to better myself. I've lost 20 lbs since I started middle of July. I was going every other day, I've up'd up to about 5 days a week. I have some questions about the program and adding cardio. Learning lots about the gym lingo and really want to make sure Im doing this correctly and optimal for my age. I'm also doing a keto/whole 30/paleo diet. Basically staying away from sugar and carbs. Traveled this weekend and blew the diet up, getting back on track today. I have concerns about rest periods between workouts and the workouts themselves. I'm up to doing 2-3 core exercises a day and a 30 min run/walk routine right afterwards. I'm following a 531 app a friend showed me. Now that I've been at it for awhile, I'm starting to have questions. My buddy says I'm doing fine, but I'm now looking into this program, and it seems to be somewhat strict. I just want to make sure I'm following the program to it's fullest and most optimal. I started out doing about 20 mins in the gym every other day, now I'm about 90 mins 5 days a week. Thanks, Dave

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy the actual book and read it. Its only like 20 bucks or so.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Buy the actual book and read it. Its only like 20 bucks or so.
    yup, the more I read online, the more I believe I need this book.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Haven't read the book or seen the app, but isn't 5-3-1 simply based on the amount of reps in that range? Which is usually done to increase your strength.
    I don't think training like a powerlifter at your age would be the best thing to do.
    However i don't know how fit you are or what your health is like, so in the end it's all up to you of course.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    Haven't read the book or seen the app, but isn't 5-3-1 simply based on the amount of reps in that range? Which is usually done to increase your strength.
    I don't think training like a powerlifter at your age would be the best thing to do.
    However i don't know how fit you are or what your health is like, so in the end it's all up to you of course.
    If you don't know 5/3/1 (and it's obvious you don't), don't comment based on what you assume it is.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If you don't know 5/3/1 (and it's obvious you don't), don't comment based on what you assume it is.
    In case you have trouble with reading comprehension, i asked a question based on 531. Usually people ask questions on something they don't know the answer of.
    So maybe try not telling other people whether they should comment or not.

Also tell me if i'm wrong and that the 531 app/book isn't based on lifts in that rep range, which really is done to increase strength.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In case you have trouble with reading comprehension, i asked a question based on 531. Usually people ask questions on something they don't know the answer of.
    So maybe try not telling other people whether they should comment or not.
    You asked the question, assumed the answer (incorrectly) then commented based on that misconception.

Also tell me if i'm wrong and that the 531 app/book isn't based on lifts in that rep range, which really is done to increase strength.
    You work off weights based on 90% of your 1rm. You rarely approach your true 3rm or 1rm maxes.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Look at the grey pubes program in Beyond 531.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

You asked the question, assumed the answer (incorrectly) then commented based on that misconception.
    Yes i asked a question and them said, if it is based on the 5-3-1 reps, then it's designed more for strength which i don't recommend.
    If it isn't based on the 5-3-1 then simply disregard my advice.
    It's not rocket science.

You work off weights based on 90% of your 1rm. You rarely approach your true 3rm or 1rm maxes.
    So how many reps do you actually do then? Because if it is literally 5-3-1 reps, then i wasn't wrong.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Yes i asked a question and them said, if it is based on the 5-3-1 reps, then it's designed more for strength which i don't recommend.
    If it isn't based on the 5-3-1 then simply disregard my advice.
    It's not rocket science.
    Or don't comment.

So how many reps do you actually do then? Because if it is literally 5-3-1 reps, then i wasn't wrong.
    2x5
    1xamrap

2x3
    1xamrap

5,3,amrap

Or don't comment.
    Or don't cry about it.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Useful your posts are.

Useful your posts are.
    Never seen someone more oblivious than you. Ever heard of self reflection?
    How useful are your ''don't comment'' posts, that you posted twice in this thread?

Anyways i'm done wasting my time talking to some newly registered person on the forum who thinks he can dictate who can or can't post lmao.
    Good luck with your lifting goals op.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

some newly registered person
    lol

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=177508671

Double lol

Originally Posted by Grumpy232 View Post
    yup, the more I read online, the more I believe I need this book.
    Back on topic, you may also want to consider the Juggernaut Method 2.0 by Chad Wesley Smith. Smith credits Wendler's influence on his program and it is obvious when you look through it.

https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/th...ernaut-method/

Well, I've been doing for a couple of months now with no repercussions, I have a trainer who is helping me, I've lost 20 lbs since I started at the end of June, I'm feeling better about myself, it gets me in the gym 4-5 days a week, I even feel guilty when I skip a day. REALLY want to see my gut go away, and so far, 531 is working. I'm not in hurry, I know its a slow program, my objective is to loose the gut, get healthy, get strong. So far so good. As far as my age and how fit I am, I do have a couple of injury's, knee being a recent one that I'm working through, (split it open in a fall, pretty much took a knee with the weight of a dirt bike on me). No damage to any ligaments or muscle, or cartilage, ACL and meniscus looked good, doctor didn't have to take x rays, knee was open enough for him to see inside. That was over Memorial weekend this year. Shoulder has been bad since I injured it in my 20's, doesn't give me too much grief. I haven't had to have any corrective surgery's for any of my injuries. I'm pretty healthy otherwise, low blood pressure, cholesterol not high (not low either). I've been a mechanic my whole career, pretty active when something breaks, I'm pretty much like a maytag repairman, there are days I sit around waiting for stuff to break. So as far as what's good for me at my age, until it hurts or I'm icing joints after a workout, I think I'm good for now. I did buy the book and am reading it now. While other's have said it's not for beginners because there are other methods that would work quicker, like I said, I'm in no hurry and it's working. The app is easy enough and I see results. That's where the magic is, seeing results. I'm learning lots, thanks for all the info.

Losing 20 lbs is a great progress! If you want to get rid of your gut, just focus mainly on diet (calorie deficit) and also cardio.
    Those 2 will help you get rid of it the fastest. While keeping your protein intake high and continue lifting and getting more muscles.
    Good luck!
    Cobra Kai never dies!