Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Want to become personal trainer but I can't get my foot in the door.

I completed my ISSA certification. I am an avid kickboxer. Really into yoga and Pilates. I know my specialization. I live and breathe fitness, always learning new things about muscle mechanics.
    I've interviewed at countless gyms, chased after so many opportunities but I can't land a single gig training anyone.
    I am clearly fit, and very good-looking. I have made tremendous progress with core strength and leg strength. I am not sure why I can't train anyone. I've been told that I'm socially awkward. It's true I'm not the most extroverted person. I live and breathe fitness, it is my passion I really want to work in a field that I care about.
    But maybe I'm just not cut out for it because of lack of "social skills" or "marketing skills". I also don't do the whole social media thing. Forgive me but I despise Facebook.
    I see far weaker trainers teach group classes or get clients but some of them are so mediocre and not-challenging I can't even stay in their classes it drives me crazy their instruction is so easy and always literally always the same thing (frikin jumping jacks again) and I'm always the one person in class doing something totally different because I need a challenge I need to feel the burn. It just drives me crazy that I can't find any work in fitness in spite of all the blood sweat and tears I've put into developing the most chiseled body.
    Are some people not cut out to be personal trainers?

Husband,Father,Vegan,Poet 401Delta's Avatar
    401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Stryker7777 View Post
    I know my specialization.
    Tell me if I guessed right.
    Trump 2024

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been told that I'm socially awkward.
    The job has two elements, cunningly hidden in the title: personal, and trainer. You need both. You know what you need to work on.

etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It is true most successful (referring to maintaining quotas in these gyms) PTs are very extroverted in nature. They seem to do the best with picking up clients on the fly, just from wanting to socialize all day long. It makes sense, right? It's a main description of the job.

If you have this passion for wanting to help people, then focus on building your marketing and sales skills. Let's assume you're introverted but have excellent communication and people (empathy) skills...Then you need to develop actual selling and closing techniques. If you can use your ability to be genuinely warm and caring with potential clients ( if they feel comfortable around you), then you will win them over...they will feel they can trust you. You want to project the best possible version of yourself. So, if you have the confidence, physicality, helpfulness and the AMBITION parts down, then focus on every possible SALES opportunity available...Good luck and don't give up something you're so passionate about!
    "It's not in my nature to give up."

^^ "No, I'm not a Taurus."

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    A woman called Susan Caine wrote a book called Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that won't stop talking.

In this book she pointed out that an introvert becomes extroverted when talking about a subject they're passionate about. Even the dorkiest nerd becomes social talking about Magic: the Gathering cards. So it really shouldn't be a problem for a personal trainer who's said they love all this fitness stuff.

However, what I would note is that new trainers will often claim they're introverted, but the truth is that they're just shy because they know they don't know much and are scared they don't have much to offer for their $100 an hour or whatever they charge. Introversion and lack of confidence and feelings of inadequacy aren't the same thing.

And this is why in my video about becoming a personal trainer, my first recommendation to any would-be trainer is: get a trainer. Most trainers have never had a trainer. If you yourself have had a trainer, then you understand why it has value, and why even a new trainer has something to offer the general public. You don't know much, but you know more than Jo/e Bloggs, and with or without knowledge you can offer accountability and an objective eye on food diaries, movement and so on. It's harder to bullsht someone else than yourself.

If you've never had a trainer then you've never experienced its value, so will naturally doubt if you have anything of value to offer as a new trainer. If you're used to doing everything on your own then you'll never really believe in people doing things with other people's help. You may mistake this for introversion or lack of social skills.

Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Stryker7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, good response. It may very well be a self-confidence issue. Its easy to give up on a pursuit outside of my comfort zone because then I can just make excuses.
    Anyways, I've worked with countless trainers.
    Without trainers and group classes I would have never built the body that I have now. The trainers were absolutely crucial for getting past the basics: cardio-strength, controlling the prime movers (meaning being able to squat/deadlift properly which is difficult for beginners), and developing the necessary neural adaptations so my body could do things its never done before.
    I would have never figured this stuff out on my own.
    I've had 2 personal trainers and I've gone to many, many kickboxing and yoga classes. Basically, every class I go to now I get frustrated because the trainer isn't challenging, does the same thing every time, or doesn't do what my body specifically needs. I can intuitively figure out what workouts I should do to shore up weak spots, enhance flexibility & fix spinal alignment, etc... every time I'm at a class listening to a trainer I feel like I'm at the stage that I ought to be training others now. And fitness is all I do, its literally my daily pastime.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can intuitively figure out what workouts I should do to shore up weak spots, enhance flexibility & fix spinal alignment, etc...
    I'm going to use this in my next ad.
    Trump 2024

etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    A woman called Susan Caine wrote a book called Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that won't stop talking.

In this book she pointed out that an introvert becomes extroverted when talking about a subject they're passionate about. Even the dorkiest nerd becomes social talking about Magic: the Gathering cards. So it really shouldn't be a problem for a personal trainer who's said they love all this fitness stuff.

However, what I would note is that new trainers will often claim they're introverted, but the truth is that they're just shy because they know they don't know much and are scared they don't have much to offer for their $100 an hour or whatever they charge. Introversion and lack of confidence and feelings of inadequacy aren't the same thing.

And this is why in my video about becoming a personal trainer, my first recommendation to any would-be trainer is: get a trainer. Most trainers have never had a trainer. If you yourself have had a trainer, then you understand why it has value, and why even a new trainer has something to offer the general public. You don't know much, but you know more than Jo/e Bloggs, and with or without knowledge you can offer accountability and an objective eye on food diaries, movement and so on. It's harder to bullsht someone else than yourself.

If you've never had a trainer then you've never experienced its value, so will naturally doubt if you have anything of value to offer as a new trainer. If you're used to doing everything on your own then you'll never really believe in people doing things with other people's help. You may mistake this for introversion or lack of social skills.
    I actually left my job at the gym because all of the relationships I was building emotionally drained my energy, even I loved every single one of my clients (some became friends and/ or business associates). So, by that definition, I am an introvert. I had the real need to cut my quota down and control how many people I trained. I understand this is a highly subjective opinion.

I should have added this to my post yesterday: If OP is having legit problems getting his feet in the gym doors, then he needs to brush up on his INTERVIEWING skills.... whether that's demonstrating knowledge, confidence, rapport with the interviewer, charisma, integrity, etc.....
    "It's not in my nature to give up."

^^ "No, I'm not a Taurus."

What is the point of your trolling 401Delta

He's been posting on the Misc and it's made him stupider. Don't mind that.

Part of working in a customer service job like personal training is ignoring the drivel and focusing on the substantial stuff in the gym and when working with clients. Do that here, too.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There is a reason everyone is turning you down. Perhaps you should consider their expertise in hiring trainers and read more into their denials than you seemingly are willing to. It may be they are doing you a favor...or... change your start-up strategy and come up with an alternate strategy. Either way, you need to take that experience and turn it into something positive.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

What is the point of your trolling 401Delta
    While I may indeed be dumber from frequenting other parts of the forum, I'm not trolling you as much as I'm calling out your bs.

You sound like you're just pulling phrases out of your PT course book and it comes off as disingenuous to me.

I would be more likely to hire you if you spoke/wrote in your own words, rather than adding a bunch of fluff to try and sound more knowledgeable than you really are .
    Trump 2024