keroseneburner is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Keto and “overtraining” symptoms

Hello all, new guy here......hope this is in the right forum, I am fairly certain I am not in the realm of over training but having an issue. Lift 2x week (pull ups, shoulder press, row, squat, bench press 3x12) run 3x week 3 miles @5 mph. I have been keto for 7 months (2 cheat meals a month went from a max weight of 280 to 220 at 6’3”) I have lifted in some form most of my life. I have recently stepped up from bowflex type equipment to old school barbells and squat rack (I have definitely put on quite a bit more muscle). Lately After lifting I have been getting tired, like extreme fatigue, sleeping issues after squat day and fatigue that goes on for days. I sleep 8 hours a night and sleep well usually. Could this be from lack of carbs either before or after lifting?

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's likely due to lack of stored carbs, aka glycogen depletion.

For the exact same reason I can't do keto-style diets for longer term. Lifting intensity starts suffering after a while and sleeping becomes a lot harder.

So you're correct, it's not overtraining, rather under-recovering and not eating to ones needs.

Have some carbs before lifting, you'll burn them off anyway... eat fat and protein the rest of the day.
    Last edited by Tucane; 08-25-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    It's likely due to lack of stored carbs, aka glycogen depletion.

For the exact same reason I can't do keto-style diets for longer term. Lifting intensity starts suffering after a while and sleeping becomes a lot harder.

So you're correct, it's not overtraining, rather under-recovering and not eating to ones needs.

Have some carbs before lifting, you'll burn them off anyway... eat fat and protein the rest of the day.
    That was what I was suspecting. My lifting definitely got more intense when I went free weights....so did my gains. I am not looking to get yuuuge, I am almost 50 just want to keep in shape and avoid health issues that come from being old, fat, and addicted to carbs.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You have a few options. Do weekly carb ups, or consume some carbs before and/or during and/or after training, Keto BHB helps many people as well.

Carbs before bed will help you sleep. Small amount of oats will hardly cause any insulin spike, so not to worry if you really want to stay in deepest ketosis possible while still being able to sleep... Berries are good too, but oats will KO you for a nice sleep.

Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    You have a few options. Do weekly carb ups, or consume some carbs before and/or during and/or after training, Keto BHB helps many people as well.

Carbs before bed will help you sleep. Small amount of oats will hardly cause any insulin spike, so not to worry if you really want to stay in deepest ketosis possible while still being able to sleep... Berries are good too, but oats will KO you for a nice sleep.
    Going to experiment with some blueberries before lifting and may try oats before bed

Thank you for the help