Registered User Justregulardude's Avatar
    Justregulardude is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Seated military press

So I know the military press is the best upper body exercise but I have herniated discs so standing is out of the question and I have never tried seated I have only done dumbbells seated and I can dumbbell press the 60's for 2-3 clean reps.So my question is is seated good replacement for standing and what is good weight go aim for?? 185?

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No.
    Seated can put more pressure on the disc's.
    Because of the nature of it and gravity standing or seated will put pressure on them.
    I might train giving a one arm DB press a try with the free arm supported holding a rack or upright of some kind.
    That and a belt may give you more support in the low back.
    You probably would be smart just to use moderate weights and not go all out heavy.

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Justregulardude View Post
    So I know the military press is the best upper body exercise but I have herniated discs so standing is out of the question and I have never tried seated I have only done dumbbells seated and I can dumbbell press the 60's for 2-3 clean reps.So my question is is seated good replacement for standing and what is good weight go aim for?? 185?
    Yes. In fact, for hypertrophy (muscle gains) seated overhead press is superior to standing (standing is superior for athletic training and overall strength due to overall body and fuller core integration, however).
    In getting the groove of the move and finding your working weight: if struggling with 60#DBs then, no, you won't be working with 185 on the bar. Start lighter, get the movement path down, increment weight gradually but regularly. (Typically though a guy who can do a full set (8-12reps) with 60# DBs in good form will be able to handle 135# on the bar in a similar rep range. But there are lots of variables including the movement path of each exercise, etc so don't assume, just experiment starting with safe, manageable poundages.

NOTE: above is a reply to the central question of seated as a good replacement. I do not address your particular back condition and the safety concerns involved. I agree with the post prior to mine that light to moderate using dumbbells is a safer option. The unilateral suggestion may or may not be prudent depending on your body's feedback.
    "Simply put, stronger does not necessarily equal bigger, & bigger does not necessarily equal stronger" -B. Schoenfeld
    Know your goal; train accordingly. Size is a lagging, secondary benefit of strength training; strength is a lagging, secondary benefit of size training

"Progressive overload means gradually making your muscles work harder. Yes, adding weight constitutes an overload, but that's not the only way..." -C. Thibaudeau
    Rep tempo, rep count, set intervals, volume can be used

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    No.
    Seated can put more pressure on the disc's.
    Because of the nature of it and gravity standing or seated will put pressure on them.
    I might train giving a one arm DB press a try with the free arm supported holding a rack or upright of some kind.
    That and a belt may give you more support in the low back.
    You probably would be smart just to use moderate weights and not go all out heavy.
    appreciate the advice,i didn't know seated puts so much pressure on the discs maybe I will stop any overhead movement then

Originally Posted by LukeEverhart View Post
    Yes. In fact, for hypertrophy (muscle gains) seated overhead press is superior to standing (standing is superior for athletic training and overall strength due to overall body and fuller core integration, however).
    In getting the groove of the move and finding your working weight: if struggling with 60#DBs then, no, you won't be working with 185 on the bar. Start lighter, get the movement path down, increment weight gradually but regularly. (Typically though a guy who can do a full set (8-12reps) with 60# DBs in good form will be able to handle 135# on the bar in a similar rep range. But there are lots of variables including the movement path of each exercise, etc so don't assume, just experiment starting with safe, manageable poundages.

NOTE: above is a reply to the central question of seated as a good replacement. I do not address your particular back condition and the safety concerns involved. I agree with the post prior to mine that light to moderate using dumbbells is a safer option. The unilateral suggestion may or may not be prudent depending on your body's feedback.
    that disc injury is real pain in the *** No overhead press no squats no deadlifts **** it,anyway thanks for the advice

superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) superman704 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Seated dumbell presses is what I do, 50 lb dumbells for high reps, almost 100 reps

jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I say no way seated better. I agree with someone else who commented, I think there would be way more pressure on your spine and I seated position. Plus while standing you can use your legs to help a little bit on those last few reps. I use a lifting belt when doing this exercise.

Originally Posted by jdesey View Post
    I say no way seated better. I agree with someone else who commented, I think there would be way more pressure on your spine and I seated position. Plus while standing you can use your legs to help a little bit on those last few reps. I use a lifting belt when doing this exercise.
    Should I give standing a shot and see how it feels?

Originally Posted by superman704 View Post
    Seated dumbell presses is what I do, 50 lb dumbells for high reps, almost 100 reps
    thats a lot of reps,isn't that putting lot of stress on RC muscles?

jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For me there isn't much difference in weight used between seated Arnold press and standing barbell press. I do low reps with 60 lb dumbbells seated and low reps around 130 barbell standing.
    Current.....................315 / 285 / 475............177 lbs
    July 1, 2019.................................................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Early March 2019......275 / 245 / 405.............173 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    For me there isn't much difference in weight used between seated Arnold press and standing barbell press. I do low reps with 60 lb dumbbells seated and low reps around 130 barbell standing.
    Standing is more difficult than seated I think cause of all stabilizing u have to do

UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000) UnkleDolan is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have mild-moderate scoliosis and standing is definitely out of the question for me, unless if it is really light.

Seated with barbell makes my imbalance worse.

I found seated dumbbell press with the seat adjusted not exactly at 90 degrees, maybe 75-80 degrees are the best. My low back feels okay and I really feel the burn on my shoulders.

Make sure to aim for 6-8 reps for you heavy sets no less, I do 10-14 reps for my regular sets

Hope that helps
    Small Joints Tiny Waist Wide Shoulders Crew
    Chemical Engineering Graduate
    BB.com Member Since 2013