AntonCrushes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Getting demotivated clients through a workout

Hello fellow trainers, I wanted to ask what strategies and tactics have you all found for getting through a not so good workout with a client. By this, I mean those days when the client is obviously stressed or tired and they have a more difficult time getting through a workout than they thought they would, and feel a bit discouraged. This happened to me this morning with a client and I tried to tell him that sometimes some workouts, for a variety of reasons, just don't go as planned and this just fuels the next workout to go even better. (The weights he previously was able to work with were difficult for him today--he's also got muscle mass gain goals and is making good progress nonetheless.)

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated! Also, feel free to share things you tried that did not work, since that helps me too.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is just the personal part of personal trainer. Being firmly encouraging.

And it's also a skill to recognise when they're just a bit down and when they're totally flattened. One means, "You'll be fine," smile, "keep going!" and the other means a deload for today.
    "A fox has many tricks, a porcupine has only one trick - but a very good one."

etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you gave him a good reply; you explained how the body naturally works and how the next session will likely motivate them to perform better! You corrected their form, if needed, and took into consideration anything 'abnormal ' in their energy levels. You pointed out (or reminded them of) the great progress that's been made. In short, you are being accommodating to their needs...and doing your job

I'm not sure what you mean by 'tricks' to use on clients you want to trust your judgment? Reserve 'exercise' psychology? I don't think that would enhance any training or mindset for most clients at this stage. You want to be objective about their individual potential. You don't want to give false accalades. You're better off just being straightforward and reliable in all aspects, MHO. Great going.
    Last edited by etet1919; 08-25-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    "A Winner is a Dreamer Who Never Gives Up" --- Nelson Mandela