Registered User TheRealPandaMan's Avatar
    TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Imbalances and Suggestions

This is my first post on here and would like some feedback.
    I have been training for 12ish years on and off.
    I noticed in the last 4 years some imbalances in the way I am developing.
    Aesthetics aren't my biggest priority, however, I worry these may lead to injuries or prohibit me from lifting heavier weight. I notice tightness and shoulder pain when I wake up in the morning and despite using the strictest possible form during pressing movements I can muster, my shoulders don't feel like they are evenly controlling the weight. Most all of my exercises are barbell consisting of 5x8 sets + one 15 rep warmup and 1 rep max sometimes on deadlifts, squats, military press, and bench for ****s n giggles but also to see if I'm getting stronger.

Here are some pictures of my upper body. Any suggestions to avoid this would be helpful....

https://imgur.com/a/aAIlg5c

I am 25 @ 6'2" weighing between 205 and 215lbs (not sure since I haven't weighed myself in 6 months)

Also I know I'm small. My goal is 260lbs by the end of next year plus I'm joining an actual gym (not fitness center) this friday.
    Last edited by TheRealPandaMan; 08-20-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheRealPandaMan View Post
    This is my first post on here and would like some feedback.
    I have been training for 12ish years on and off.
    I noticed in the last 4 years some imbalances in the way I am developing.
    Aesthetics aren't my biggest priority, however, I worry these may lead to injuries or prohibit me from lifting heavier weight. I notice tightness and shoulder pain when I wake up in the morning and despite using the strictest possible form during pressing movements I can muster, my shoulders don't feel like they are evenly controlling the weight. Most all of my exercises are barbell consisting of 5x8 sets + one 15 rep warmup and 1 rep max sometimes on deadlifts, squats, military press, and bench for ****s n giggles but also to see if I'm getting stronger.
    You haven't said anything about the pulling movements you do.

Originally Posted by TheRealPandaMan View Post
    Here are some pictures of my upper body. Any suggestions to avoid this would be helpful....

https://imgur.com/a/aAIlg5c

I am 25 @ 6'2" weighing between 205 and 215lbs (not sure since I haven't weighed myself in 6 months)

Also I know I'm small. My goal is 260lbs by the end of next year plus I'm joining an actual gym (not fitness center) this friday.
    The vast majority of people should not aspire to be 260lbs. You would be in a bad place if you get there.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

FranciscoBast is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quit the barbell for a couple of months and work only with dumbells. Then you'll be able to notice how much weaker one side is compared to the other, and they will eventually catch up. However, a lot of people will tell you to do more reps on the weaker side. DON'T do this, you'll only make it worse, just use the same weight on each side and do the same reps, and train that way until you feel they are even. Your weaker side will eventually catch up. Also, sounds like you only do compound movements, you should maybe throw in some accessory lifts as you may have weak muscles due to neglecting them and this may lead to further imbalances.

Lastly, as the guy above said, you didn't mention any pulling movements (besides deadlifts), you'll want to start doing rows and other movements that work your back and rear delts since they may be weak, thus creating more imbalances.

TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealPandaMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pressing movements include:

Squats
    Bench
    Military Press
    Tricep Extensions (to failure)

Pulling includes:
    Deadlift
    Barbell row
    Pulldowns
    Cable row (middle back and lower lats) (to failure)
    Shrugs (to failure)
    Bicep Curls (to failure)
    Last edited by TheRealPandaMan; 08-22-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Originally Posted by FranciscoBast View Post
    Quit the barbell for a couple of months and work only with dumbells. Then you'll be able to notice how much weaker one side is compared to the other, and they will eventually catch up. However, a lot of people will tell you to do more reps on the weaker side. DON'T do this, you'll only make it worse, just use the same weight on each side and do the same reps, and train that way until you feel they are even. Your weaker side will eventually catch up. Also, sounds like you only do compound movements, you should maybe throw in some accessory lifts as you may have weak muscles due to neglecting them and this may lead to further imbalances.

Lastly, as the guy above said, you didn't mention any pulling movements (besides deadlifts), you'll want to start doing rows and other movements that work your back and rear delts since they may be weak, thus creating more imbalances.
    I like this idea. What will it do for strength gains and will this carry over to my compound lifts?

What kind of a bad place would it be? I hear of a lot of strongman at 300+. I just figured if they can do it, so can I lol.