NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up Miscers With Interesting Careers/Jobs, Drop Some Knowledge On Us Fellas Tryna Make It

I have a few questions and I'm trying to get an eclectic group of answers from people in different fields doing vastly different things, here they are and cheers for your time!

1.What is a hunch you have that no one else believes in?
    2.What is the most counter intuitive thing or idea you have learned and/or teach?
    3.If you had to give 1-3 simple lessons from your field to the general public, what would they be?
    4.What do you think of the 80/20 principle and how have you applied it to your field?
    5.What is the most overlooked lesson from your field (perhaps past lesson) and why is it so overlooked?

Or anyone willing to answer really, there's two ways to learn; facts and archetypes so even a "regular" job where you REALLY observe people can unearth God tier truths, so everyone can drop some massive knowledge bombs from what they've done.

Cheers everyone, hope yall have an awesome day!
    Spirit, like body, needs to be trained. So I think it's necessary to make your spirit stronger. And for he who believes, anything is possible./I do not talk about my weaknesses, I work on them-Fedor

redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz
    1. What is a hunch you have that no one else believes in?

SV is one massive, incestual circle jerk. I wouldn't exactly say no one believes this, there's just a lack of introspection around why a company in business for 8 years still has 90% of their business from the same VC firm.

Also, I'd venture upwards of 80% of my colleagues are alcoholics.

2. What is the most counter intuitive thing or idea you have learned and/or teach?

Manager triads / goal setting / career coaching / champions & internal mentors are all perceived by stakeholders to be the most effective way to retain people. It is not.

3. If you had to give 1-3 simple lessons from your field to the general public, what would they be?

If you don't know what you're talking about, be quiet.

4. What do you think of the 80/20 principle and how have you applied it to your field?

I work with 20% effort 80% of the time and work with 80% of effort the 20% of the time someone who has a say in my review is working. Or, I do 20% of the work and take 80% of the credit.

5. What is the most overlooked lesson from your field (perhaps past lesson) and why is it so overlooked?

There's a lot of talk about personal brand and emotional intelligence, two soft skills you have to prove competency in with face time, so people (particularly under 30's) are annoyingly dead set on skip-level career progression meetings with zero awareness of bandwidth. Instead, I think people in my field need to start viewing their boss as the client. Work hard for your clients and they'll work hard for you. My actual boss is a delight to work with, but our relationship is mostly irrelevant. I make my clients look fabulous, they get promoted, they expand their work with me and I make more money, and I might check in with my boss once every three weeks. Actually, that's mostly the lesson: It's simple. Work hard, show up on time, be mostly agreeable, don't be stupid.

Cool thread idea, OP. Hope to hear other answers.

NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NVious has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by redraider86 View Post
    1. What is a hunch you have that no one else believes in?

SV is one massive, incestual circle jerk. I wouldn't exactly say no one believes this, there's just a lack of introspection around why a company in business for 8 years still has 90% of their business from the same VC firm.

Also, I'd venture upwards of 80% of my colleagues are alcoholics.

2. What is the most counter intuitive thing or idea you have learned and/or teach?

Manager triads / goal setting / career coaching / champions & internal mentors are all perceived by stakeholders to be the most effective way to retain people. It is not.

3. If you had to give 1-3 simple lessons from your field to the general public, what would they be?

If you don't know what you're talking about, be quiet.

4. What do you think of the 80/20 principle and how have you applied it to your field?

I work with 20% effort 80% of the time and work with 80% of effort the 20% of the time someone who has a say in my review is working. Or, I do 20% of the work and take 80% of the credit.

5. What is the most overlooked lesson from your field (perhaps past lesson) and why is it so overlooked?

There's a lot of talk about personal brand and emotional intelligence, two soft skills you have to prove competency in with face time, so people (particularly under 30's) are annoyingly dead set on skip-level career progression meetings with zero awareness of bandwidth. Instead, I think people in my field need to start viewing their boss as the client. Work hard for your clients and they'll work hard for you. My actual boss is a delight to work with, but our relationship is mostly irrelevant. I make my clients look fabulous, they get promoted, they expand their work with me and I make more money, and I might check in with my boss once every three weeks. Actually, that's mostly the lesson: It's simple. Work hard, show up on time, be mostly agreeable, don't be stupid.

Cool thread idea, OP. Hope to hear other answers.
    Awesome answers, what does SV stand for and what do you do btw?

I hope others will answer too!

Btw it sounds like you're in the business world and thus have a lot of contact, maybe email them the question and see what they say and then you can share it here if you and they are comfortable ofc, but I'm sure they'd have excellent input!
    Spirit, like body, needs to be trained. So I think it's necessary to make your spirit stronger. And for he who believes, anything is possible./I do not talk about my weaknesses, I work on them-Fedor

redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by NVious View Post
    Awesome answers, what does SV stand for and what do you do btw?

I hope others will answer too!

Btw it sounds like you're in the business world and thus have a lot of contact, maybe email them the question and see what they say and then you can share it here if you and they are comfortable ofc, but I'm sure they'd have excellent input!
    Silicon Valley. I'm a consultant.

I'm probably not going to email my network the questions, though that's not a bad idea. If anyone has a Fishbowl account I'd be curious if they could post there and get results, or on r/business or something. Not that there aren't insightful, career-minded folks on the misc, I just think you'd get more robust answers from different industries and functions if you were to target a different community.

Silicon Valley. I'm a consultant.

I'm probably not going to email my network the questions, though that's not a bad idea. If anyone has a Fishbowl account I'd be curious if they could post there and get results, or on r/business or something. Not that there aren't insightful, career-minded folks on the misc, I just think you'd get more robust answers from different industries and functions if you were to target a different community.
    Ahh cool.

And probably eh? I can work with that. I'm going to email 3500 professors over the next year asking them that, I just need to see how my headline and copywriting that I included with my first set goes, I figure if I get 3% answers, it's still not bad!

Ahh cool.

And probably eh? I can work with that. I'm going to email 3500 professors over the next year asking them that, I just need to see how my headline and copywriting that I included with my first set goes, I figure if I get 3% answers, it's still not bad!
    Neat! What's your reasoning for gathering responses from professors in academia versus business? For sure rework your OP. It's not poorly written by any means, just needs some syntax tweaking. Good luck!

Neat! What's your reasoning for gathering responses from professors in academia versus business? For sure rework your OP. It's not poorly written by any means, just needs some syntax tweaking. Good luck!
    Looks like I'll be doing business too then haha, you have a list of people you'd recommend I start with lmao?

Yeah it's a lot more personal, this was mostly done for the misc. Thank you!

Looks like I'll be doing business too then haha, you have a list of people you'd recommend I start with lmao?

Yeah it's a lot more personal, this was mostly done for the misc. Thank you!
    I don't. If I were in your shoes, I'd establish a presence in a few online communities then create a formalized survey, and I'd think about how you'll communicate what you're going to do with the responses. Otherwise, if you're cold emailing surveys, it might come across as spammy.

jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jeshelton has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Actually, that's mostly the lesson: It's simple. Work hard, show up on time, be mostly agreeable, don't be stupid.
    Pretty much /thread.

If you make attempts to go beyond the call of your job and do so humbly, those who are in positions to promote you will see that - if they are worth a chit themselves.

Enjoy the process of building a better "you" - just like lifting. It makes doing the "job" a lot easier when money is not the only thing you are working for.

jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jlick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you haven't figured it out by now, technology is the way of the future. i'm hoping to start an MBA soon with a focus on enterprise technology management.
    -You are only as strong as your weakest link-

Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jeshelton View Post
    Pretty much /thread.

If you make attempts to go beyond the call of your job and do so humbly, those who are in positions to promote you will see that - if they are worth a chit themselves.

Enjoy the process of building a better "you" - just like lifting. It makes doing the "job" a lot easier when money is not the only thing you are working for.
    Eh, it would be nice if everything was a meritocracy but I've worked at places where the director would straight up tell people his leads were useless but he kept them around because they agreed with everything he said

One company hired nearly a bunch of bros of the executive producer all at the most senior level possible @ 300K salaries, and they did literally nothing for a year before being quietly laid off on 12 month severances

Not gonna answer anything else in the OP because misc allows people to threaten doxxing with no repercussions now.

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    Eh, it would be nice if everything was a meritocracy but I've worked at places where the director would straight up tell people his leads were useless but he kept them around because they agreed with everything he said

One company hired nearly a bunch of bros of the executive producer all at the most senior level possible @ 300K salaries, and they did literally nothing for a year before being quietly laid off on 12 month severances

Not gonna answer anything else in the OP because misc allows people to threaten doxxing with no repercussions now.
    Shoot me a pm bruh, would appreciate your insight (srs).

alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) alltrapbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually, that's mostly the lesson: It's simple. Work hard, show up on time, be mostly agreeable, don't be stupid.
    I personally think that this is a major problem within most workplaces. I’m not saying the opposite is good, i’m just saying that on the whole most employees are too agreeable. Women also tend to be the worst offenders.

But then again I am a complete failure in my working life and being a disagreeable kent might have something to do with it.

Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Softworn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ignore all advice given here.
    💊 Pill Merchant 💊

🐉 Yang 🐉
    🤡 Honk 🤡
    🏎️ Race 🏎️
    🍑 Melania 🍑

Originally Posted by alltrapbrah View Post
    I personally think that this is a major problem within most workplaces. I’m not saying the opposite is good, i’m just saying that on the whole most employees are too agreeable. Women also tend to be the worst offenders.

But then again I am a complete failure in my working life and being a disagreeable kent might have something to do with it.
    In this context, think of it as pleasant to be around versus a yes wo/man. Being known for an ability to flex, roll with the punches, break things and try new systems, etc. isn't a bad thing. I'm not against pushing back, but I do so sparingly so when I do need to say, "Hold up, let's chat about this" my perspective is taken into serious consideration.

I doubt you're a failure, but if you really think you are, it sounds like you know how to fix it. Chin up, and fix it.

questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100) questions00 is not very well liked. (-100)
    There are only two most important things and I wish I told myself it growing up, would of made it so much easier.

(1) Every sentence you communicate either verbally or written has to be "GO FUK YOURSELF". This is the most important cue to remember. Of course you need to translate "Go Fuk Yourself" into professional speak and never use explicit words themselves

(2) Always have mindset "ITS IN MY BEST INTERESTS"

I used to joke that if I lost my tongue in accident or my voice, all I needed was to form the words "go fuk yourself" and nothing would change. I find myself laughing harder at this joke as I get older, reflecting how true it is

Registered User ElectronicsBrah's Avatar
    ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000) ElectronicsBrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    - I've never met a decently competent female electrical / electronics engineer. I'm sure they exist, but in my firm they don't seem to have the desire or care to really try beyond an initial attempt. Other engineering professions that is not the case.

2.What is the most counter intuitive thing or idea you have learned and/or teach?
    - If you are given a schedule to complete a task, don't finish the task early. Always complete the tasks with a day or so to spare. Regardless of status meetings. When management gets wind that you can do something much quicker than they internalized, they will without question ask you to do a similar task within a reduced timeline.

3.If you had to give 1-3 simple lessons from your field to the general public, what would they be?
    - Electronics Engineering isn't as difficult as it seems. Almost anybody can do it in their sleep
    - Details matter. There is no 90% in doing the design. It either works or it doesn't.

4.What do you think of the 80/20 principle and how have you applied it to your field?
    Definitely true. One of my biggest pet peeves is lack of ownership. I don't want to help someone if they don't spend any time researching the problem themselves first.

5.What is the most overlooked lesson from your field (perhaps past lesson) and why is it so overlooked?
    Documentation matters. When design engineers write poor documentation (and their designs get re-used), we burn through so many man hours trying to interpret the design in the first place.

Originally Posted by ElectronicsBrah View Post
    - I've never met a decently competent female electrical / electronics engineer. I'm sure they exist, but in my firm they don't seem to have the desire or care to really try beyond an initial attempt. Other engineering professions that is not the case.

- If you are given a schedule to complete a task, don't finish the task early. Always complete the tasks with a day or so to spare. Regardless of status meetings. When management gets wind that you can do something much quicker than they internalized, they will without question ask you to do a similar task within a reduced timeline.

- Electronics Engineering isn't as difficult as it seems. Almost anybody can do it in their sleep
    - Details matter. There is no 90% in doing the design. It either works or it doesn't.

Definitely true. One of my biggest pet peeves is lack of ownership. I don't want to help someone if they don't spend any time researching the problem themselves first.

Documentation matters. When design engineers write poor documentation (and their designs get re-used), we burn through so many man hours trying to interpret the design in the first place.
    Very interesting on 2, kinda like reverse Parksions.

Yea, I feel that way about books and philosophy, I'm reading a book about post modernism and I'm left wondering "if you kunts effectively believe in nothing, why is your theory so god damn complicated???" Seems like being concise, laconic and focused is valued everywhere.

Thanks for the answer, repped brah!

DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100) DarkHorse2004 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Pretty much everyone can be the sickest person you've ever met; more people need to learn about Jungians dark side archetypes.

That's why your space is so important.

Avoid horrible low class and trash people at all costs.

MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyBaddBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This thread is far too abstract and won't actually help people make it IMO.

If I would give lessons from my field it would be these, and then these again.

1. Foundations
    2. Fundamentals
    3. Meat and potatoes

Keep focusing on this. This is how you make it.
    *Hole is Life Crew*
    *Meditation Crew*

worst poster on the misc Nonsense916's Avatar
    Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Nonsense916 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I could educate Misc on a lot of things but I won’t
    Nonsense916 is an internet persona.

Originally Posted by Nonsense916 View Post
    I could educate Misc on a lot of things but I won’t
    Jokes on you, you just dropped a massive knowledge bomb.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

When the student isn't ready, the teacher will disappear.

Looks like we weren't ready , oh well off to get better