stargate6t2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I use carb cycling for muscle gain?

Hi,

I am a beginner and have just come off an 8 week fat loss program (with the help of and fitness instructor) where I was following carb cycling while training hard at the gym and have lost some fat. I still have a fair bit of body fat I would like to lose in the medium term but for now I want to grow muscle so that I can grow some size (as I look quite skinny) and then go on another fat loss period for a couple of months again.

My questions is: Can carb cycling be used for muscle gain without gaining fat if I make sure that I am caloric surplus on weekly basis? Or do I have to just follow a general caloric surplus diet and live with the fact that I'll put some fat back on.

Thanks.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Carb cycling has no special benefit.

Just read the stickies.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Ok thanks

Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by stargate6t2 View Post
    Hi,

I am a beginner and have just come off an 8 week fat loss program (with the help of and fitness instructor) where I was following carb cycling while training hard at the gym and have lost some fat. I still have a fair bit of body fat I would like to lose in the medium term but for now I want to grow muscle so that I can grow some size (as I look quite skinny) and then go on another fat loss period for a couple of months again.

My questions is: Can carb cycling be used for muscle gain without gaining fat if I make sure that I am caloric surplus on weekly basis? Or do I have to just follow a general caloric surplus diet and live with the fact that I'll put some fat back on.

Thanks.
    Carb cycling vs non-carb cycling, given everything else being held equal, will result in the same amount of muscle and fat gain in a surplus.

In a surplus, what you need to do is make sure you’re getting your minimum amounts of fats and proteins and fill the rest of the calories with whatever makes your training the most effective. This is generally carbohydrates for most people.

However, if you do try carb cycling while on a bulk and it works well for you, then go with it. Just make sure you’re putting your surplus to good use by being a beast in the gym, however you get there with your calorie intake.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't confuse carb cycling with carb timing as many people do. Carb TIMING can be beneficial to have good energy during workouts by taking in a good amount of your carbs an hour or so before training. This is fine if you're on a fairly low carb diet. If you have a fairly high carb intake then your glycogen stores will most likely be pretty full all the time so this is unnecessary.

Carb CYCLING is thought to have an effect on body composition but it doesn't. Some people at very low bodyfat amounts preparing for a competition can sometimes benefit. The average lifter reads these articles by these people and try to also use some of their methods and end up just making things complicated for no reason.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    The average lifter reads these articles by these people and try to also use some of their methods and end up just making things complicated for no reason.
    yep... just keep it simple
    munchies on a cut is the true test of discipline crew

Understood. Thanks everyone for breaking this down!

kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kusok has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Beginners and intermediates who are getting good results should not worry about stuff like this.

That being said, again, many posters ITT are basically saying that things like UD2.0 are essentially a scam. This is not true. Many people carefully tracked their progress and found out that there ARE things out there other than the basics. We should not limit our beliefs only to what research has been able to definitively demonstrate as of today. If something works, it works, in a way there is no need to even research it.

Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nicksosure1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    Beginners and intermediates who are getting good results should not worry about stuff like this.

That being said, again, many posters ITT are basically saying that things like UD2.0 are essentially a scam. This is not true. Many people carefully tracked their progress and found out that there ARE things out there other than the basics. We should not limit our beliefs only to what research has been able to definitively demonstrate as of today. If something works, it works, in a way there is no need to even research it.
    You know what. I agree. Good post.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.