Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Intermittent Fasting - First meal/breaking fast

Cant really find a proper answer only for this and I think I am over thinking this but I am wanting to know what an ideal first meal would be to break my fast.

I am doing a 8 hour eating window (first meal at 12pm) and usually training in the am (fasted)

I usually like to have either oats or a greek yogurt with fruit with some fruit for breakfast.

I have also read that its good to break a fast with plain rice cakes as theres some benefits to do with the GI index?

I am 170lbs around 18% bodyfat if that matters.

Thanks in advance

Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2 x wholemeal toast
    2 x eggs
    is also a nice small meal I like to start with, is this ok? or would a protein shake and few rice cakes be better?

or am I over thinking and its not going to matter

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Breaking a fast makes no difference what you consume. IF is just eating schedule for your caloric needs, the only advise I would give is generally consuming some protein would be advised as your muscle protein synthesis will be at its lowest at the end of a fasted period.

The GI index makes little to no difference in health individuals, its just a table which shows the response of glucose in your blood from consuming carbs its not a tool for weight loss. Only people it really helps is diabetics.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...emic-index-gi/

swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000) swole-striation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Over thinking, eat what ever you're going to stick with long term. And change it up every few days.

Also see how you go with training fasted in the am. If you've never done it before you might struggle.

Thanks for the replys.

2,150 215g carb 60g fat 188g prot

these are my macros am following, am I all good? have worked out my TTEE and doing cardio twice a week along with a 5 x gym split

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The ideal meal is the one that helps you hit your macros.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Daniel678 View Post
    Thanks for the replys.

2,150 215g carb 60g fat 188g prot

these are my macros am following, am I all good? have worked out my TTEE and doing cardio twice a week along with a 5 x gym split
    I guess you are trying to lose weight (just checking) if that is the case then its fine. You could lower protein/ carbs a bit and add to fat some days it will make no difference. Your protein can be as low as 140 and you would be fine really. So yes its fine you have a decent protein buffer so if you don't hit it at the end of the day it will make no difference between 140-190g will be fine. Fats are a tiny bit low but again I have low end of fat and feel fine so I dont see a problem.

Monitor your calories and as long as you are losing around 0.75-2lbs a week that is fine.

clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000) clwhoops44 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just can't understand IF... why would one want to starve themselves for 16, 18, 20 hours a day?

bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50) bowtourking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IF is nice it has helped me lose a lot of weight but it's not for everyone, when you get used to it it's pretty good honestly.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by clwhoops44 View Post
    I just can't understand IF... why would one want to starve themselves for 16, 18, 20 hours a day?
    I starve 22h a day, not consecutive hours though...

....I finish 3-5 meals in about two hours total.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

If you eat clean foods, good fibre and wholegrain you wont ever feel starved.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by clwhoops44 View Post
    So i guess you don't understand what the definition of starvation is.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500) Ukiyo3k is not very helpful. (-500)
    You're not fasting if you're eating everyday. I know it's called IF but that is just to sell books and attract followers because fasting is the latest trend in weight loss.
    Controlling your calories by eating on a strict schedule can work wonders for your weight loss, but don't fool yourself into thinking you are fasting.
    Once you do a 10 day fast then you'll know what I'm talking about.

A decent meal after 16 hours will be dense whole foods high in protein, medium or low fat and carbs, and not glucose fruit but oats, bean or potatoes.
    Good luck with your weight goals.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ukiyo3k View Post
    You're not fasting if you're eating everyday. I know it's called IF but that is just to sell books and attract followers because fasting is the latest trend in weight loss.
    Controlling your calories by eating on a strict schedule can work wonders for your weight loss, but don't fool yourself into thinking you are fasting.

A decent meal after 16 hours will be dense whole foods high in protein, medium or low fat and carbs, and not glucose fruit but oats, bean or potatoes.
    Oh bugger off. Its a completely accurate and accepted term. If YOU choose to take it to the extreme and do extended fasts (which is a terrible choice for anyone wanting to retain muscle mass) that's your business. You can also break a fast with anything but given you've neglected to stimulate protein synthesis for an extended period of time, enough protein to get you around 3g of leucine would be best.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

evelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yes, IF is not for everyone but it is worth trying

waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ukiyo3k View Post

So Muslims don't fast during Ramadan? Not eating for a partial day has been considered fasting for much longer than IF has existed.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by waknickm View Post
    So Muslims don't fast during Ramadan? Not eating for a partial day has been considered fasting for much longer than IF has existed.
    It is fasting but you're not getting a lot of the benefits of fasting if you are eating every day. IF is an eating schedule that allows people to eat a large amount of food in a short window so they feel fuller and it helps control calorie intake by restricting the feeding window. That's it. If you want to get some of the health benefits from fasting you should look into every other day fasts and whatnot but for most people on a body building forum that's not going to be very optimal either.

Registered User marcosala794628's Avatar
    marcosala794628 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried a couple of variants of fasting including training outside the feeding window - just to see how my body reacts and if I am able to handle my upcoming cravings. The results were very disappointing. I was not able to stay under the caloric target of the day and i really slept bad.

For me only this setup works:

5am wake up

1st breakfast - oak & protein & one seasonal fruit

6:30 GYM

8am Post workout protein shake

12 lunch - full lunch - carbs, fats, protein

2pm protein & low sugar fruits or seasonal vegi chopped

then from 2pm until next morning 5am i fast - only water or tea. nothing else. no sugar free products or aromatic water.

once a week i break the setup and i eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

during the fasting days i stay clear below my daily caloric need - on the "cheat" day i try to have the needed calories or even +500. it's doesn't matter.

thanks to this I was able to loose and still loose body fat.

i hope this helps a bit. i think you have to try several setups and find out which setup really works for you. there is no 100% plan fits all - unfortunately.

PS: sorry I replied to the wrong thread here.
    Last edited by marcosala794628; 08-20-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added a comment

puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran puvindran
    start off you morning with oats and 3 egg whites