STRYDG is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Rotary Torso machines - any good?

Have always been a bit skeptical on these but is there any benefit to using them or stay away?

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know. I rarely see them in gyms, but boy they murder my obliques like nothing else can.

BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Twisting is a major cause of low back injuries, plus big obliques look like love handles. Depends how you look at it though, if you keep it light you'd probably strengthen the back and prevent injuries and not bulk up too much there.

air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It might just be the gyms I've been to but I haven't seen one of these in a long time - I kind of assumed people must not really use them much anymore.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personally i think you'd be better doing doing free weight type twisting movements if your going to do them.
    Standing plate twists,russian twists,grave diggers with a mace all come to mind.
    Your not restricted by the groove of the machine ,more natural.
    As with all movements where you twist under tension/weight be very careful as these have a greater risk for injury.

STRYDG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys. Was kind of presuming that the twist and possibly path was a bit unnatural. Even when I used it, only 1 set per side and fairly light.

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've used the one where you twist your torso and the one where you twist your lower body. I'd think the later would cause less complications as you go heavy. The torso one you stabilize with your hips so it's easy for me to over do it even though it's the same movement technically. Kinda like the difference between hyper extensions and reverse hyperextensions.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Mark Rippetoe