Accurate13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I quit a progressive overload without plateau

Hello,

Quick question. I've been doing a progressive overload for the past 3 months ish months, and I've been gaining a lot of mass and a lot of strength. My question is, and I assume this is correct, I don't need to stop doing my progressive overload until I either plateau in strength or size, or boredom?

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Accurate13 View Post
    Hello,

Quick question. I've been doing a progressive overload for the past 3 months ish months, and I've been gaining a lot of mass and a lot of strength. My question is, and I assume this is correct, I don't need to stop doing my progressive overload until I either plateau in strength or size, or boredom?
    Why would you get bored making gains?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Huh?

What do you mean by your progressive overload
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Why would you get bored making gains?
    Also, even if you did get bored but were still making size/strength gains, why would you "need to" stop doing it?

rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't stop something that is working that wouldn't make sense.
    If you need variation in your program adjustments can be made yes without you stopping what you say is working. You can change a exercise out of each workout and sub in its compatible replacement for instance. You can slightly adjust the rep ranges also.

Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hello,

Progressive overload isn't just adding weight every week, that's linear progression. Progressive overload can be adding weight, adding reps, adding sets, changing tempo it just means making it harder than it was last time. Eventually you'll hit a plateau with straight linear progression, then usually you deload. If you can't break through a plateau after 2 deloads then its time to change progression methods. That's why you'll see in the intermediate programs you don't always add weight every week, it might be every 2 weeks and you add reps in between.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Old, but not obsolete.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For someone only 14 you've given very sensible advice like; good form, getting advice from others and also
    ...Just keep grinding. It'll pay off in the long run my friend, trust me.
    So have confidence in your own advice.. just keep going it'll pay off

Edit: be aware that progressive overload doesn't just mean go heavier and heavier and heavier. It can also apply to gradually increasing reps, gradually increasing sets, gradually decreasing rest, gradually increasing frequency, or less common: gradually increasing range of motion. It just means gradually doing more/harder work. Although the majority of novices get most benefit from a simple gradually increase weight approach.
    Maybe that answers your concerns?

Edit2: Which program are you running?
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 08-16-2019 at 03:39 AM.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Back on the diet :(

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50) TolerantLactose will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Someone saying they are "doing a progressive overload" hurts my brain. It would be like driver saying he's "doing acceleration".
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Accurate13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    For someone only 14 you've given very sensible advice like; good form, getting advice from others and also
    So have confidence in your own advice.. just keep going it'll pay off

Edit: be aware that progressive overload doesn't just mean go heavier and heavier and heavier. It can also apply to gradually increasing reps, gradually increasing sets, gradually decreasing rest, gradually increasing frequency, or less common: gradually increasing range of motion. It just means gradually doing more/harder work. Although the majority of novices get most benefit from a simple gradually increase weight approach.
    Maybe that answers your concerns?

Edit2: Which program are you running?
    Thanks man, appreciate the kinds words.
    Yes, of course. I know that progressive overload isn't just increasing weight; it can be any number of things such as decreasing rest time, reps, etc etc, like you said.

I am currently running a PPL split, with a calisthenics focused half of the week and then weight focused on the other half of the week.