Jburns77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile How do I get abs and cuts? (21yo male)

So I used to be pretty fat and from purely dieting I have gotten relatively thin but not "skeleton" thin. I'm around 5'8 and weigh 150 ish. My stomache is nearly flat but I just do not have any abs at all or cuts. I'm not sure if its actually fat I need to lose that is preventing me from having visible abs or what. Any advice here please? I eat a pretty lean diet and don't have much weight to lose but the abs just are not there

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You won't get abs if you don't train them. You need to train them daily and continue to lose fat.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    You won't get abs if you don't train them. You need to train them daily and continue to lose fat.
    Ok thanks that makes sense. Do you recommend any specific exercises? I dont like lifting weights much i'm sure there's some body exercise that would help me. I used to do situps but I don't feel they're very beneficial, maybe crunches would be good?

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen as the saying goes.

Having you spent time doing a muscle building phase? At 21 I doubt you have built enough muscle to reveal a six pack unless you want to look like a skeleton.

However I have been wrong post a pic of your full body and we will have a look.

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jburns77 View Post
    Ok thanks that makes sense. Do you recommend any specific exercises? I dont like lifting weights much i'm sure there's some body exercise that would help me. I used to do situps but I don't feel they're very beneficial, maybe crunches would be good?
    You will find getting a six pack very very hard without doing weights.

Crunches DON'T cut it I am afraid.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    You will find getting a six pack very very hard without doing weights.

Crunches DON'T cut it I am afraid.
    because im not very "big" i very rarely do weight lifting mainly just calisthenics (running, pushups, pullups, ect). I'm not super small either im probably just a little smaller than average. I know my diet is mostly good but i'm guessing they're not showing because I never workout my abs, though im clearly not an expert and just guessing lol. If I need weight training what sort of excersises are good for that?

CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000) CBRIT89 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    because im not very "big" i very rarely do weight lifting mainly just calisthenics (running, pushups, pullups, ect). I'm not super small either im probably just a little smaller than average. I know my diet is mostly good but i'm guessing they're not showing because I never workout my abs, though im clearly not an expert and just guessing lol. If I need weight training what sort of excersises are good for that?
    I don't think you should just look at weightlifting that's good for your abs. Consider the whole package. If you've got great abs but a small chest, or small arms, it's not going to have the same effect is it?

If you're not really into weights but do want to make a change, commit for three months to one of the recommended novice programs, work your ass off and reap the rewards. I wasn't into weights, love it now.
    Beat cancer. Beating an eating disorder. Want to be 190lbs and 10% bodyfat by July 2020.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you don't have access to a gym, sit ups and lying leg raises work great.
    If you have a pull up bar or can go outside and find some monkey bars, hanging leg/knee raises are the best exercise.

Decline sit ups and cable crunches are also great but you need a gym for the latter.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100)
    You mentioned wanting abs, but not really anything else. What about chest, biceps, etc? A generally muscular physique? Great abs on a body that's not particularly muscular isn't going to be particularly attractive, IMHO. Do you not want to expend the time and energy weightlifting perhaps? It is a commitment, and count the cost before you jump in. If you're not weight training, I wouldn't lose more weight. 150 is pretty low and you'll just look skinny lower, especially with no muscles to show for it (other than abs, I guess).
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron

Get muscles in the gym. Get lean in the kitchen.

FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatBallz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ^ Agree with above.

Working to build abs will look pretty ridiculous if the rest of your body is lacking. You don't want a six pack with a wimpy chest and noodle arms. You really should work your whole body if you want to build muscle. Otherwise you should just focus on remaining fit.

Best of luck
    Remember the Altamont

Originally Posted by Tricon7 View Post
    You mentioned wanting abs, but not really anything else. What about chest, biceps, etc? A generally muscular physique? Great abs on a body that's not particularly muscular isn't going to be particularly attractive, IMHO. Do you not want to expend the time and energy weightlifting perhaps? It is a commitment, and count the cost before you jump in. If you're not weight training, I wouldn't lose more weight. 150 is pretty low and you'll just look skinny lower, especially with no muscles to show for it (other than abs, I guess).
    I agree you are definately right I just think bulking to be big all around is a huge commitment, not just from being in the gym but also diet-wise and eating lots of protein ect. I don't need shredded abs I just would like them to show atleast and maybe put on a few pounds of muscle, my goal is not to be huge or anything but you are probably right I should work on the whole body

ZMad2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    If you don't have access to a gym, sit ups and lying leg raises work great.
    If you have a pull up bar or can go outside and find some monkey bars, hanging leg/knee raises are the best exercise.

Decline sit ups and cable crunches are also great but you need a gym for the latter.
    This was exactly what i was thinking. Or if you have access to a weighted ball(medicine ball, bowling ball, lead weight, gallon jug of water, ect) do weighted crunches focusing on contracting the upper abs. For the Lower abs laying leg raises to start then to up difficulty at a weight between your feet. You dont need much 1-5lbs.