Thread: Push Up Help!!

Bhorse93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Push Up Help!!

Female here, 26, 5'10 and 190 pounds (not sure that matters in this case)

I need to learn push ups...in the next 8 weeks. I've read it's possible to master them within 2 months and I literally need to for basic training for the corrections academy I'm going into. I am just wondering if anyone can offer any tips/advice on how to master them and at least be able to do 15-17. That's my goal. I know it doens't seem like a lot, but as is, I can barely do ONE!

I've been doing them on my knees or against a wall or counter every other day or so. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thank you for any advice!

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you have access to a gym, you can try barbell bench press (with a spotter), dumbbell bench press, tricep exercises like (assisted) dips, tricep push downs etc.
    The stronger your whole upper body gets (including shoulders, forearms etc), the easier push ups will become.

Also practice your push up form.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bhorse93 View Post
    Female here, 26, 5'10 and 190 pounds (not sure that matters in this case)

I need to learn push ups...in the next 8 weeks. I've read it's possible to master them within 2 months and I literally need to for basic training for the corrections academy I'm going into. I am just wondering if anyone can offer any tips/advice on how to master them and at least be able to do 15-17. That's my goal. I know it doens't seem like a lot, but as is, I can barely do ONE!

I've been doing them on my knees or against a wall or counter every other day or so. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thank you for any advice!

Make sure your core, glutes and legs are tight while you do them - planks are good for helping to develop this.

Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    If you have access to a gym, you can try barbell bench press (with a spotter), dumbbell bench press, tricep exercises like (assisted) dips, tricep push downs etc.
    The stronger your whole upper body gets (including shoulders, forearms etc), the easier push ups will become.

Also practice your push up form.
    Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it (:

Originally Posted by NearlyBigAngus View Post

Make sure your core, glutes and legs are tight while you do them - planks are good for helping to develop this.
    Thanks

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At 26, with your goal of getting close to 15 or 20, I think you can do them more than every other day, depending on how many sets you're doing of the knee push ups. You can also do planks and negatives after you do your knee push ups. or do negatives at an angle at the foot of your bed. That will work your core and your triceps.
    Loosing a few pounds will also help, obviously, although that may not be practical in 2 months.

Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    At 26, with your goal of getting close to 15 or 20, I think you can do them more than every other day, depending on how many sets you're doing of the knee push ups. You can also do planks and negatives after you do your knee push ups. or do negatives at an angle at the foot of your bed. That will work your core and your triceps.
    Loosing a few pounds will also help, obviously, although that may not be practical in 2 months.
    Well for my physical I need to be able to do 17 in 1 minute..Which to me seems insane, but I know some of you guys do like 100x that lol. I'm just really weak with upper body strength. I am also working on fat loss as well. If I don't pass, it's not a big deal, I just reapply. But it's a 5-6 month process so I'm trying to train hard to accomplish it.

What are negatives? I've never heard of that before.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not much to add the above post^^^ covered what i was going to suggests.
    Planks for sure.
    The pushup is basically a moving plank, you must keep tension throughout the body or you'll loose strength.
    Practice your push ups throughout the day if you can instead of one training session.
    Work ladder reps to build up your volume say maybe 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x and start over.
    This way you done burn yourself out on multiple same rep sets.
    Good luck.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bhorse93 View Post

What are negatives? I've never heard of that before.
    Negatives is the part where you come down with the push up (lowering your chest)
    So you can just start in a push up position with the arms stretched, slowly let yourself go down until the chest hits the floor.
    And then simply get up (instead of pushing yourself up which would be a full rep) and repeat the process.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    Negatives is the part where you come down with the push up (lowering your chest)
    So you can just start in a push up position with the arms stretched, slowly let yourself go down until the chest hits the floor.
    And then simply get up (instead of pushing yourself up which would be a full rep) and repeat the process.
    That sounds like it might be a good way to start. Thanks!

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry I wasn't clear. Thanks Backinthegymbro for explaining it.
    Maybe I should also have been clearer about what I was trying to suggest with the foot of your bed. It was just an idea on how you could do an angled negative. Between a floor push up and a wall push up angle, although any strong stable surface could work. Don't use anything that feels dangerous....
    You're going to have to figure out what angle you can do push ups and negatives at.
    Let us know how it goes and we'll be your cheer squad as you progress.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you sure this is the job for you if you are that weak?

Registered User manishyadav1979's Avatar
    manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) manishyadav1979 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try Machine Press to gain some strength thereafter graduate to body weight training.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Corrections Officer checking in, you in CA? If so... I wouldn't stress too much on the PT, it's pretty easy. Some push ups, bit of medicine ball crossfit stuff and some machines. Been close to 5 years since I went to the academy but we only did PT once per week, sometimes skipping a week since we had other stuff to cover; if you can half assedly jog about 200 yards and do maybe 10 decent push ups you were good enough... And if not... well, somehow you'd still pass.

The only 'hard' part was the PT course we had to do during the hiring process then again at the end; run, up/down stairs, then 3 short distances while holding weights while being timed. The last part (weighted run) is what took most people the longest.

Also, this is actually effective: https://hundredpushups.com/
    Last edited by gbullock32; 08-16-2019 at 02:25 AM.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823