danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) danklift420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weak ankle ligament, ankle's been slightly "sprained" for the past four months

Started happening around 4 months ago, where I've started playing basketball again casually. I didn't play much of a game, and mostly just shot around, dribbling, layups, jump shots. I did play some games though, but only a few. No full-court games, not even a full half-court game. Anyways, seems like my ankle still feel a little bit of this sprained feeling, despite me not feeling like I did anything intensive to really sprain it. So I'm guessing my ligament or something's probably weak. And by "sprained feeling", I mean anytime I get into a deep dorsiflexion position, I feel that twist feeling. Since then, I didn't want to do anything that would aggravate it, so I took out the big exercises that would use my ankle, such as the deadlift and the squat. If it wasn't for me feeling a bit that sprained feeling upon doing warmup with the bar and no extra weight, I would've probably hit a point where I'll feel it in the dorsiflexion part of my left ankle.

Compare two days ago to 4 months ago, it's definitely a lot better. I can hold a dumbbell and squat no problem without feeling much on my left ankle. I do regularly stretch and foam roll, too. Although prior to playing basketball, I didn't... which was kinda my mistake. Haven't played since a long time too, so that wasn't good either. Also didn't have the best type of shoes for basketball either... Along with how I'm just getting older, that doesn't help. Again, I was thinking of going to see an acupuncture soon enough if it didn't get better any time soon... it's been four months, feels like it's more mobile, but definitely not as mobile as prior to the "incident" of simply playing basketball and feeling a weak ligament sprain itself or something.

I was just wondering, when exactly would I know I'm fine to squat/deadlift? I haven't squatted or deadlifted for quite a while, I know it's gonna tire me out upon doing it again for the first time. But I'm hoping I'm actually able to, because I really do feel like those lifts were what made those days much more rewarding after finishing it.

air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by danklift420 View Post
    Anyways, seems like my ankle still feel a little bit of this sprained feeling, despite me not feeling like I did anything intensive to really sprain it.
    Did you ever have 1 or more really bad ankle sprains in the past? I get that lingering sprain feeling on occasion playing sports b/c of that - obv a bit of a compromised ankle. I recommend an ankle brace w/ those 2 wrap around velcro straps for sports, helps a lot and keeps mobility.

Since then, I didn't want to do anything that would aggravate it, so I took out the big exercises that would use my ankle, such as the deadlift and the squat ... I was just wondering, when exactly would I know I'm fine to squat/deadlift?
    Hard to guess when you can squat/DL without issues except to just do it, but seated calf raises are a less risky smaller exercise that can test out your ankle. If that motion bothers your ankle much, loading up for squats/DL might not be a great idea.

Again, I was thinking of going to see an acupuncture soon enough if it didn't get better any time soon...
    Make sure to see a good one.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are in a chronic stage. I struggled with left ankle pain for years until I tried cross friction massage. Not something you wanna try in acute stage. Basically when things heal up, they may not heal properly and buildup of scar tissue can actually cause pain. It's something you may want to give a try, if this is indeed your issue then all you gotta do is scrub your tendons/ligaments a few minutes per day and pretty quickly you'll notice a huge reduction in pain like I did.