stargate6t2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just finished fat loss, now want to grow muscle

Hi there

I have just completed an 8 week fat loss program which was based on weight lifting using mainly compound exercises and being in a caloric deficit at the same time. Now that I have lost some fat I am now looking for a work out program to grow muscle and size. Prior to the fat loss program I was skinny fat and had been to the gym on an off over the last few years in a non serious way and never really pushed myself properly. Although I am still a bit skinny fat, the last 8 weeks have made me push myself greater than ever before, I feel stronger and fitter than before and more motivated than ever plus I have become really good with the diet aspect. I would love to hear some suggestions on what kind of workout routine I can follow to build lean muscle because as I mentioned I still have a bit of body fat but for now I want to grow muscle for a few months to fix my even more so obvious skinny look and then after that I can go on another fat shedding phase.

My stats are:

Male
    Age 37
    Weight 147lb / 67kg
    Height 5’11

Thank you.

Any advice on workout program? Thanks.

aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10) aniqueakhtar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not that experienced, but I would like to know how much fat you lost, what were your fat loss and muscle mass gains like.
    Your weight seems a bit low for your height. More information would help me.

Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There's some beginner workout programs in the stickies: fierce 5, vikings and all pros. Check them out and pick whichever one you think you would stick with. Most people can ride them out for 4-6months before needing to change programs. Simple and effective.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Thank you Ghawk21. I'll check them out.

aniqueakhtar - I was on 21% bodyfat when I started. Now I am on 18%. Yes I am very skinny for my height. Basically I have very little muscle for my build. This is why I was thinking of growing size by gaining lean muscle rather than continuing with fat loss for now. Once I have gained some size I can go on fat loss again to lower the fat percentage. Please advise.

I was thinking if for the time being it would be okay for me to continue with the following workout which my personal trainer made me follow during the fat loss program. This is just so I can get some confidence of being in the gym by myself and train without any guidance as I know how to perform these exercises well. And after a couple of months of following this program I can adapt a new beginners program if need be.

However as this program was for fat loss I am not sure if it will also be effective for muscle gain?!?

PUSH/PULL WORKOUT (3 times a week)

Push day

3 supersets of leg press (leg sled machine) and leg extensions
    3 supersets of bench press and push ups 
    3 supersets of leg press and glute bridges (or a shoulder exercise of some sort like lateral raises or Incline Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise)

10 reps per set

Pull day

3 supersets of deadlifts and leg curls
    3 supersets of leaning seated cable row and lat pull downs
    3 supersets of dumbell split squats and dumbell stiff legged deadlifts

10 reps per set

Will appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ghawk21 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by stargate6t2 View Post
    I was thinking if for the time being it would be okay for me to continue with the following workout which my personal trainer made me follow during the fat loss program. This is just so I can get some confidence of being in the gym by myself and train without any guidance as I know how to perform these exercises well. And after a couple of months of following this program I can adapt a new beginners program if need be.

However as this program was for fat loss I am not sure if it will also be effective for muscle gain?!?

PUSH/PULL WORKOUT (3 times a week)

Push day

3 supersets of leg press (leg sled machine) and leg extensions
    3 supersets of bench press and push ups 
    3 supersets of leg press and glute bridges (or a shoulder exercise of some sort like lateral raises or Incline Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise)

10 reps per set

Pull day

3 supersets of deadlifts and leg curls
    3 supersets of leaning seated cable row and lat pull downs
    3 supersets of dumbell split squats and dumbell stiff legged deadlifts

10 reps per set

Will appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
    Ultimately you can do whatever you want and are most comfortable with but the ones I suggested you are much better. If you do continue with your program I would find a way to work in squats, probably replace the first leg press.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Ultimately you can do whatever you want and are most comfortable with but the ones I suggested you are much better. If you do continue with your program I would find a way to work in squats, probably replace the first leg press.
    Agree with Ghawk!
    If you can learn Squats, Deadlift, Bent over barbell row (or Pendlay row), barbell overhead press then added to what you know already you will have a complete foundation and can be self sufficient. Just 4 lifts on top of bench you already know and they're not as complicated as a trainer will try to tell you. Just start with an empty barbell and watch some instruction videos on YouTube from "Starting Strength" as these are good explanations and correct.

The guy who does them (Mark Rippetoe) has his strong opinions on things at times, but he is very experienced (not a B****ter).
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Back on the diet :(

Okay, thanks for the input. All the exercises you mentioned are part of StrongLifts 5x5 I believe which my gym buddy is already following. How would you rate this program for a beginner aged 37? That will obviously be the simplest program for me to follow as my gym buddy is already following it and we can pair up at the gym. And would it really be detrimental to do 25 reps over 3 sets instead (so basically 3 sets of 8 reps instead of 5 sets of 5 reps) so that I can start off with slightly lighter weight while building my form?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by stargate6t2; 08-18-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Okay, thanks for the input. All the exercises you mentioned are part of StrongLifts 5x5 I believe which my gym buddy is already following. How would you rate this program for a beginner aged 37? That will obviously be the simplest program for me to follow as my gym buddy is already following it and we can pair up at the gym. And would it really be detrimental to do 25 reps over 3 sets instead (so basically 3 sets of 8 reps instead of 5 sets of 5 reps) so that I can start off with slightly lighter weight while building my form?

Many thanks.
    StrongLifts is another good beginner program. I would keep the 5x5 for the sake of the programs progression method. You can still start off lighter and work on your form though. Even throw in a few sets of 10 as warm-ups before the 5x5 to drill home technique.

irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irmocool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Big but boring is legit too, has a phone app for ocnvenience
    current 1x max @ 2006b:
    O:170
    B:321
    S:360
    D:462

morefap crew: just fapped

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Many thanks.
    more reps isn't more form building, if you are worried about form do the 5x5 with appropriate weight for your technique.

If it's the most likely program for you to follow consistently then run that.
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee