ZAPPA18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need help total newbie

Hello guys, I'm here for some advice. I am skinny (was around 165 Ibs for 6"3) I read that in order to grow I had to eat more and lift heavy so I have followed this routine for around 2 months (5x5 stronglifts 3/week) and my weight shot up to 176. But I have noticed no change in my muscle masse and feel like my body shape is just prone to gain fat and muscle in the wrong places. I have attached photos of my physique for your guy's advice and feedback and motivation. Thank You
    Attached Images

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZAPPA18 View Post
    Hello guys, I'm here for some advice. I am skinny (was around 165 Ibs for 6"3) I read that in order to grow I had to eat more and lift heavy so I have followed this routine for around 2 months (5x5 stronglifts 3/week) and my weight shot up to 176. But I have noticed no change in my muscle masse and feel like my body shape is just prone to gain fat and muscle in the wrong places. I have attached photos of my physique for your guy's advice and feedback and motivation. Thank You
    You need to understand that, unless you are very "gifted" genetically, or using chemicals that we can't talk about here, 2 pounds of MUSCLE a MONTH is about the most you can gain. The rest of weight added will be fat. And that's assuming you have everything "dialed in" (including your weight program and nutrition).

4 or 5 of your initial 11 pound gain was probably water weight. So, what exactly is your weight program? What was your starting bench, squat and deadlift and what are they now?

ZAPPA18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello, first of all, thank you for the reply. I follow a workout routine called 5x5 stronglifts that requires workouts 3 times a week. This involves mainly compound workouts; Squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press. My starting benchpress was 30kg now 40kg, Squat was 50kg now 70kg and deadlift was 60kg now 75kg. I also aim for around 3100 calories/day.

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZAPPA18 View Post
    Hello, first of all, thank you for the reply. I follow a workout routine called 5x5 stronglifts that requires workouts 3 times a week. This involves mainly compound workouts; Squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press. My starting benchpress was 30kg now 40kg, Squat was 50kg now 70kg and deadlift was 60kg now 75kg. I also aim for around 3100 calories/day.
    If you'd gained 11 pounds over the course of 2 months (which you didn't specifically say, but led to believe), and were eating the same 3100 cal, you may want to lighten-up a few hundred (3-400) and stick there for a month.

How did you come to determine 3100?

What are your macros?
    Old, but not obsolete.

rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rawcuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its a process that you have to believe in. Progress isn't necessarily straight up all the way all the time. It could be your metabolism is catching up with your intake and new weight. Stay on course, keep learning, keep training, keep improving and its inevitable you will head in the direction you want.

BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're on the road to becoming skinny fat bro so cut the calories a little. You don't really need to go heavy, most bodybuilders probably don't, since you're new you should try a few things to see what you like. The classic 3 sets of 8 is good too.

Learn your anatomy well, all the muscle groups and how to target each one, then you will recognize them coming through which helps motivation and programming.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinthegymbro has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Strong lift is a program designed to get stronger. It's not optimal for muscle growth. That said, You should do a clean bulk of eating 500 calories above maintenance a day. If you eat too much, you'll just get mostly fat. Try to eat clean foods and keep your protein high. 1 gram per lbs bodyweight should be good.
    Cobra Kai never dies!